The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Flavors from the past... :: Hornmann magic shop (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
TrickyRicky
View Profile
Inner circle
TrickyRicky
1653 Posts

Profile of TrickyRicky
Back around 1968, I on my way to Toronto I made a detour to Hornmann magic shop.
I knew of Al Flosso and who he was, but here I was, just me and Al talking magic for half a day and nobody to bother us.
We had lunch together in the shop and had a good time.
I remembered the manner in which he would speak to me when giving advise "are you listening son, see what I mean son"
He then took an old coffee can and did the misers dream.
It was years after the meeting, that I regretted not taking pictures while I was there.
Richard Lyn
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2737 Posts

Profile of sethb
I also remember Al Flosso. I went to his shop as a teenager, originally looking for a replacement vent figure.

But when I saw all the magic stuff, I decided that magic was much neater than ventriloquism. For the next several years, my allowance basically went to Flosso's shop by way of "direct deposit."

What I remember most about Al was his kindness and support for me and other budding young amateur magicians. Al never ignored or belittled a kid with a question, and he was never condescending. While this may have helped his shop to prosper and benefitted him financially, Al also knew this was the only way the art of magic would continue to grow and prosper -- through the next generation.

Although it sometimes cost him money, Al always steered me away from the junky effects and dangerous stuff (Fire Bowls, Multiplying Candles, Flash Paper), saying "Hey, you don't want that," even though I protested that I really did! Instead, he would point me towards the time-tested classic effects that would provide good value and be worth the effort invested in them -- the Egg Bag, Okito Box, Temple Screen, Die Box, Linking Rings, Chick Pan, Drumhead Tube, Cups & Balls, and so on. And a lot of the apparatus was top-quality P&L stuff that was made right and built to last.

Al also had the foresight to require that I had to buy at least one book every time I came into the shop. Because of "Al's Rule," I eventually came to own a complete set of Tarbells, "Greater Magic," "Hugard's Magic Manual" and other classics, as well as a lifelong respect for magic books. Other dealers just sold magic tricks; Al sold magic, and it made a big difference to his young patrons.

Al Flosso was a little guy with the biggest heart I ever saw. For more information about Al, see "The Coney Island Fakir," Gary Brown's excellent biography of Al, to which I was privileged to contribute. See http://www.stevensmagic.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=1786
SETH Smile
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC