The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Flavors from the past... :: Douglas MagicLand :: TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
DavidMor
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of DavidMor
I too fondly remember the old Douglas MagicLand. As a boy in Corpus Christi, my orders were sent to far away Dallas. Most of the tricks cost less than $5.00. (This was about 1965.) I still have a few of their old 1960's catalogs in an old truck,and even some of the old tricks. (yes, I would sell one catalog, but not all.) What is surprising to me is how little stock magic has changed since the 1960's. ThumbTips, stripped decks, silks, Scotch and Soda, cigarette tricks. They are all in my old catalogs, at ridiculously low prices. It seems that much of the stock magic is still using devices (and sometimes patter) left over from vaudeville days. I still marvel at photocopied instructions that begin with something like, "borrow from an audience member a top hat ... or a cigarette case.... or a white glove." The art work often includes a magician dressed in a coat with tails.

Many years later I moved to Dallas as an adult and was driving down Forest Avenue. I was shocked when I looked up and saw that the old mysterious magic supplier was right here in the shopping center. (Somehow I had always pictured them in the dungeon of some far away castle.) I walked in and kind of gave them my wallet in exchange for a bunch of tricks, mainly newer versions of old favorites. But, alas, they are closed, and have been for years. Now, with the closing of "Queen of Hearts" in Plano, I do not know of a single magic store here in the entire Dallas area. I am told of one shop up in McKinney, Main Street Magic. Maybe I will take my old Douglas Magicland Catalog, to see if they will match their prices!

Still chasing the magic!
Bill Hallahan
View Profile
Inner circle
New Hampshire
3227 Posts

Profile of Bill Hallahan
This topic is continued at Douglas Magicland - Dallas.
Humans make life so interesting. Do you know that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to create boredom. Quite astonishing.
- The character of ‘Death’ in the movie "Hogswatch"