The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Flavors from the past... :: Syd Brockman Magical Supplies - Seattle WA (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Remembering Syd Brockman
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of Remembering Syd Brockman
My grandfather was Syd Brockman, owner of Syd Brockman Magical Supplies (Seattle WA) in the late 60’s and early 70’s. Though I knew him well, and was in my 20’s when he died, I did not know the magic community that was such a big part of his life (I did not perform magic myself.) I would be grateful to anyone that would share their memories and/or pictures of my grandfather, Syd Brockman, and his magic store.
brangwinj
View Profile
Regular user
114 Posts

Profile of brangwinj
I would invite you to the local magic circle in Lynnwood where our members could suggest members to contact . There is also a less large ring in Burien which I belive has the Seattle ring archives. Also a Tacoma ring may have members with memories .
David Charvet
View Profile
Special user
www.charvetmagic.com
501 Posts

Profile of David Charvet
Syd was like a grandfather to me. Back in the 40's and 50's he had a leather repair shop (shoes, saddles, etc.) Around the corner from his shop, on 1st Avenue was Dick Swanson's Key Shop. In the back of the shop was a magic counter "Swanson's Sorcery." Dick had been around Seattle magic since the 1910's. Syd had performed in USO during WWII (harmonica act and magic) and when Swanson died, Syd absorbed the magic stock into his shop. Later, in 1958, when Jean Foley (Foley's Magic Shop) closed his store in the University Building (across the street from the Palomar Theater on 3rd Avenue), Syd bought all of Jean's remaining stock. During the 1960's and 70's, Syd's was THE magic shop in Seattle. I first went there as a teenager in 1974. It was what I thought a "real" magic shop should look like: FULL of magic boxes and props, books and amazing items. Syd was of the old-school and would not sell you a prop if he didn't think you were ready for it. After his old building was torn down in 1975, he moved his stock to his house and continued to serve customers up until his death in 1984. He was a NEAT GUY.
B.W. McCarron
View Profile
Loyal user
Seattle, WA USA
264 Posts

Profile of B.W. McCarron
I hate to resurrect an old thread, but there are a trio of photos about Syd's shop at the Orange County Magic Club's site.
http://www.ocmagicclub.com/photo_ocm.htm
B.W. McCarron
View Profile
Loyal user
Seattle, WA USA
264 Posts

Profile of B.W. McCarron
And one photo, this one of Syd in his later years, with Victoria, BC, magic shop owner Tony Eng. Thanks to Tony Eng for the photo.

http://picasaweb.google.com/tonyengmagic......31437874

Brett