The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Flavors from the past... :: Steve Dacri's Magic Shop - Worcester MA (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Anyone remember this shop?

Steve sold me my first Zombie. I wanted the silver ball SO badly, but could not afford it, so he brought out one made of styrofoam with a plastic tumbler.

We worked on that for about a half hour before I left the store. Steve said that when I practiced that for a good amount of time, I'd be ready for the REAL one (Rings 'N Things). The thing that stood out about Steve, is how kind and caring he was about the tricks he sold.

I doubt he'd remember me, as it was around 1972.

Doug
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Michigan
2904 Posts

Profile of Tom G
I'd show up and spend money just about every Saturday. He had a couple of shops.. the first was on Park Ave/St the second which was a larger shop was on Salem St.
clmagic09
View Profile
New user
Boston
20 Posts

Profile of clmagic09
Are his shops still around? I live in the area but have never heard of them.
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Michigan
2904 Posts

Profile of Tom G
Shops are long gone...
magicmac55
View Profile
New user
Worcester Massachusetts
1 Post

Profile of magicmac55
Actually Steve is now thrilling crowds in Las Vegas. Not sure what place, but sure he is there. My Sister-In-Law used to work for Steve when he was on Salem Street in the early 70's. I still have a small magic kit he used to sell in his shop.
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Michigan
2904 Posts

Profile of Tom G
Hey Magicmac..

Who was your sister in law? I was in Steve's shop all the time....

Best,
Tom
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5484 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
I spent more time with Steve, his wife at the time, Cheryl (later Star), and his parents than I can begin to add up. He was a great inspiration to me as a kid; was my first teacher/mentor, encouraged me to perform and compete, gave me my first job (I was only 11 at the time) and even got me into the Magic Castle, where I wound up having lunch (and spending several hours in awe) with Dai Vernon. I lost touch with him in the late 70's. Not too long after opening the second store, "The Magic Monkey" in Shrewsbury, He and his wife split, and he moved out to California to pursue his career. I keep meaning to try to make contact again. Maybe this thread is the encouragement I needed...

Thanks!
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Michigan
2904 Posts

Profile of Tom G
Hey Magiguy,
I spent a lot of time at the shop in Worcester. Remember Star, also. Always had a good time out there. Steve must have nailed you with the Stop trick. I kept asking about it and it was one thing he wouldn't tip. Then he sold me the Lorayne book....
Jason Fleming
View Profile
Veteran user
Marooned, Hawaii
374 Posts

Profile of Jason Fleming
Oh man, I worked in Worcester for three years. If only Steve's magic shop had been there! It would have been the best thing about the city!
Greg the Great
View Profile
New user
Massachusetts
39 Posts

Profile of Greg the Great
I guess I'm a few years late then huh, I live here in worcester ma. and now there aren't shops anywhere around
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Michigan
2904 Posts

Profile of Tom G
Hi Greg, more than a few years, probably close to a few decades...
Pat Trick
View Profile
Regular user
145 Posts

Profile of Pat Trick
I'm going to be in Worcester tomorrow (Thurs Sept 27) until Friday after lunch. Is there a magic shop anywhere in greater Worcester?

Patrick
To try is to risk failure; not to try, to guarantee it.
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Michigan
2904 Posts

Profile of Tom G
Sorry, I don't think there is anymore. Closest (and not really close) is Diamond's in Peabody, MA.