The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Flavors from the past... :: Douglas Magicland - Dallas (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Jim Sparx
View Profile
Inner circle
Far Out, Texas
1144 Posts

Profile of Jim Sparx
My first magic catalog was from Johnson Smith. The second was from an ad in the 1950s Genii, Douglas Magicland. Living in Texas I though I would get stuff faster from Dallas. But the local brick and mortar shop, Kemps, carried just about anything I would want. Don't remember ordering from Douglas but I do remember the catalogs. Not as impressive as the ones from Kanter's, Abbotts and Tannen.
Jim Sparx
View Profile
Inner circle
Far Out, Texas
1144 Posts

Profile of Jim Sparx
Just received in the mail an old Jeffries Magicland catalog, circa 1972, with the turbaned guy floating a lady. Looks like it just came from the printer. Guess this is the guy that took over Douglas Magicland?
TrickyRicky
View Profile
Inner circle
TrickyRicky
1653 Posts

Profile of TrickyRicky
I've just been given some old catalogues --The House Of a Thousand Mysteries--Douglas MagicLand, dated 1973. All in great condition.
L.L Ireland NO12 Catalogue also in great conditionand a Max Holden #12 just worn a bit on the edges.
The The House of a Thousand Mysteries still have the monkey picture (Pumpernickle) all over the pages, but no mention of Vic Lawson. I guess Vic may have sold the business by then.
What memories.
Tricky Ricky
TrickyRicky
View Profile
Inner circle
TrickyRicky
1653 Posts

Profile of TrickyRicky
Quote:
On 2012-04-03 17:53, TrickyRicky wrote:
I've just been given some old catalogues --The House Of a Thousand Mysteries--Douglas MagicLand, dated 1973. All in great condition.
L.L Ireland NO12 Catalogue also in great conditionand a Max Holden #12 just worn a bit on the edges.
The The House of a Thousand Mysteries still have the monkey picture (Pumpernickle) all over the pages, but no mention of Vic Lawson. I guess Vic may have sold the business by then.
What memories.
Tricky Ricky

These catalogues are free to anyone who would like to have them. The cost is just postage.
Tricky Ricky
Jim Sparx
View Profile
Inner circle
Far Out, Texas
1144 Posts

Profile of Jim Sparx
Pm sent
TrickyRicky
View Profile
Inner circle
TrickyRicky
1653 Posts

Profile of TrickyRicky
Hi Spartacus.
Books mailed today Air Mail.
Tricky Ricky
Jim Sparx
View Profile
Inner circle
Far Out, Texas
1144 Posts

Profile of Jim Sparx
Tooday, just scored a 1926 Douglas Magic Land catalog. That is the earliest I've got. zooom......
mikenewman
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent Island, Maryland
1115 Posts

Profile of mikenewman
In 1996-1998 I was stationed at Ft. Hood Texas. About 2-3 hours south of Dallas. I remember hearing about a magic shop in Dallas, and I finally drove up. It was my first shop to ever visit. I was SO excited to drive up there! I had to be speeding I am sure...

I am guessing it was Magic Land. I know I spent all day in there and LOVED every second of it.

I bought and still have:
- Sponge Balls (don't have those, but of course have more)
- Duo Tech II
- Scotch and Soda
- Michael Skinner's three card monte
- A Little Psychic
- All That and a Bag of Chips (great packet trick)

and some books as well.

This is a great thread. But sad too. In that it is yet another shop gone!

Barry's Magic Shop in MD just closed this summer. I am from MD and have been to his shop numerous times. I miss them already.
Wade Watson
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of Wade Watson
This is a great thread and after 8 years, it deserves to keep going. I've learned more than I would have expected about Douglas Magicland. I never worked there myself, but my buddy Mark and I visited it many times in the early to mid '60s. I always assumed the older gentleman in the back was Mr. Douglas, but perhaps it was Jeffries. Alas, we were less talented at performing than at being fascinated by gadgets and magical secrets and never went on to perform publically.

We lived in far East Dallas, on Oats Drive, but could take the bus downtown and did so sometimes on Saturday. A typical day might include a trip to Magicland for a trick or two, a burger at Kresge and a trip up to the observation deck on the Southland Life building.

I loved the Magicland catalog and still have a copy or two around-- as well as others like Top Hat out of Chicago and I belive there was another one out of San Antonio.

I never learned that Mark Wilson started out at Magicland until much later, but I was a big fan of his. I saw him do the saw-the-lady-in-half trick at the State Fair once in the '50s, I think. Of course, I never missed his Saturday morning network TV show in later on. Mark Wilson and Roy Rogers were the absolute top role models for me as a kid.
billmarq
View Profile
Special user
State near Arizona
570 Posts

Profile of billmarq
I still own a set of 5" linking rings, the linking ropes, a Siberian chain escape, a Glorpie and an item whose name I do not recall which is a yellow can with a devil's picture on the side. It has an asbestos ring below the top to be soaked with lighter fluid and lit on fire. The idea was to toss in a billet with a written message and to mentally divine the message after the billet had burned(?). My mother wouldn't let me use it as she believed I would burn down the house. I bought these items 50 years ago from the Douglas catalogue.

Good old days, indeed.
Honi soit quit mal y pense.
magicdave56
View Profile
Regular user
Ellisville, MO 63011
195 Posts

Profile of magicdave56
Dose any one knows if Barry's magic shop is still in business ?
mikenewman
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent Island, Maryland
1115 Posts

Profile of mikenewman
Dave,
It is closed. Barry is staying busy performing now. I loved going to Barry's everytime I made it back to MD. Barry, Susie, Franky The Wonder Dog, peter and many others were all so very helpful and always had a smile. They truly helped me in more way they can ever imagine.
While I was in Afghanistan, Barry and Susie sent me an amazing care package!!!

Mike
RichardIngram
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of RichardIngram
As a young kid, I was walking around MagicLand while my dad was talking. I remember all of the gags and things getting very weird, then my dad came and grabbed me - I had ended up in the "adult" section.