The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Street Magic :: David Blaine - Street Magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
They re-ran this on TLC last night. I have to say, he's a little better than I remembered. I still think his take on the Ambitious Card worked. I didn't remember that he did a card exchange that I saw John Scarne do in a beer commercial once. (I worked out my own handling for that, Blaine's version actually used a randomly selected card! I don't think it would be that difficult to do that!) And his effect with the two red cards where he leads the spectator to think the cards are going to switch places within the spectator's hand whereas what actually happens is two totally different cards show up there instead was very decent.

I'm not saying these were "knuckle buster" bits. But they hardly qualified as "over the counter" effects like the Invisable Deck or the Bending Coin (both of which he did rather well.)
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
irishguy
View Profile
Special user
Ohio
629 Posts

Profile of irishguy
Quote:
I didn't remember that he did a card exchange that I saw John Scarne do in a beer commercial once.

Which trick was that? I never saw the Scarne commercial.

Quote:
I'm not saying these were "knuckle buster" bits. But they hardly qualified as "over the counter" effects like the Invisable Deck or the Bending Coin (both of which he did rather well.)

I think his card work is very good. As for the gimmicks...well, I am not much of a gimmick guy myself. I am not super-impressed with tricks that basically do the work for you.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
[quote]On 2005-01-04 17:03, irishguy wrote:
Quote:
I didn't remember that he did a card exchange that I saw John Scarne do in a beer commercial once.

Which trick was that? I never saw the Scarne commercial.

I can't remember the rest of the commercial. I remember watching this middleaged man playing with cards in front of a bunch of people with beer in their hands and the name "John Scarne" flashed on the screen. The last bit he did was to turn the top card of the deck over (4 of hearts) turn it back face down and place it under the glass of beer. Then he turned the next card over (Q of spades) turned it face down and put it on top of the glass. A snap of the fingers and the card on top of the glass was the 4 of hearts and the card UNDER the glass was the Q of spades!
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
NickJegor
View Profile
Elite user
Lithuania
466 Posts

Profile of NickJegor
David Blaine - Street magic is inspire for the new era and new kind of magicians.
He is very good in acting and looking, You see he looks like a mysteryous man in his all specials.
Nikolajus Jegorovas
Kaunas, Lithuania
Web: http://www.nicholaskin.com
Pinto2
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of Pinto2
David Blaine needs to get more video. When ever he is on tv it is always the same thing, know I find it boring, even though his tricks are extremly powerfull. There should be a better variety of magic on tv.
ace_spade
View Profile
Regular user
Ontario
135 Posts

Profile of ace_spade
I do not remember that trick?
was this on Street Magic?
Because I have watched Street Magic like 50 times and never saw this.

If you ask me I don't think Blaine is a good actor,lol,.
I have watched a lot and he looks more like he is doped than mysterious.
But he is awesome with cards ,and me too think he needs more material.
"Believing is seeing" Smile
ellisd
View Profile
Veteran user
Sacramento
331 Posts

Profile of ellisd
His street magic special is what got me back into Magic after many years. However the last special he did was rather lame I thought. Also everyone had better at least learn the balducci levitation as I've had a lot of spectators ask me "Can you levitate like that guy on tv? I tell them Im too fat.
http://www.erictheballoondude.com

Balloon Twisting for all of Sacramento!
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2005-01-06 06:22, NickJegor wrote:
David Blaine - Street magic is inspire for the new era and new kind of magicians.
He is very good in acting and looking, You see he looks like a mysteryous man in his all specials.

I see him more as "internal" and "anal" than "mysterious."

Quote:
On 2005-01-06 21:52, ace_spade wrote:
I do not remember that trick?
was this on Street Magic?
Because I have watched Street Magic like 50 times and never saw this.

Which trick? The card switch? It was a quick bit with a guy in a car.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
What's that trick he does where you stand on top of a telephone pole for two weeks? My local magic shop sucks; they don't have it.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
MagiUlysses
View Profile
Special user
Kansas City
504 Posts

Profile of MagiUlysses
Greetings and Salutations,

Hey, does anyone where can I get those big blocks of ice, or that gigantic plastic box and a crane, and, um, some video cameras? FDROFLMAO!

Joe in KC
MagiUlysses
View Profile
Special user
Kansas City
504 Posts

Profile of MagiUlysses
Greetings and Salutations Loyal-tom,

You were so close:

Falling Down Rolling on Floor Laughing My *** Off!

Quote:
On 2005-02-08 19:03, Loyal-tom wrote:
Quote:
On 2005-01-06 06:22, NickJegor wrote:
You see he looks like a mysteryous man in his all specials.

he looks more like a stonned loser that's been beaten with a mucky stick

I.E., FDROFLMAO!
Wolfgang1us
View Profile
New user
33 Posts

Profile of Wolfgang1us
Makes good money for a stoned loser doing magic tricks...
rannie
View Profile
Inner circle
4375 Posts

Profile of rannie
It his dl that bugs me and his altman trap . He did magic good though and I can appreciate that. I just wish kids start thinking of new effects. Too many clones out there in the streets, Same tricks, same look, yeah that stoned look. Now I cant even use my f**d**g coins anymore without people saying stuff like... oh that blaine thing,... or oh just like that kid the other day who does that blaine thing. Just my opinion guys. Hope I did not offend any Blaine fan .

With respect,

Rannie
"If you can't teach an old dog new tricks, trick the old dog to learn."

-Rannie Raymundo-
aka The Boss
aka The Manila Enforcer

www.rannieraymundo.com
www.tapm.proboards80.net
AsL
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of AsL
I don't understand why people down David so much. It isn't like he revealed the secrets or anything. He went for something different and I give him credit for that instead of getting all mad. Unfortunately I think a lot of people are jealous of him though. I can respect people for not liking his personality but it's time we stop talking about whether we like him or not and time we start talking about new things. Smile
onezero1
View Profile
Regular user
178 Posts

Profile of onezero1
Does David amaze laymen he performs for? Yes he does. And as for the stoner style, I tried it out with ambitious card, it's a very disarming style.
I have both his T.V specials on tape and he is a decent card magician although yes, he is overly fond of the old D.L. BUT HE IS A DEADLY ACTOR, David blaine is friends with Paul Harris I belive. that's a man whose opinion I respect.
David Blaine is a good magician, and he does far more sleight of hand based stuff then gimmicked stuff and you cannot buy practice in a shop. Smile It does sting though when you do an effect and then somebody brings up the subject of David Blaine, the card through the window and "can you levitate?" still its rare enough and humans have a very short memory for famous people.
'though it stands to reason that a samurai should be mindful of the Way...it would seem that we are all negligent.
AsL
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of AsL
LOL- I agree with onezero1:)
Pablo Leal
View Profile
Regular user
Chile
187 Posts

Profile of Pablo Leal
I've found that blaine's first two specials aren't that bad at all as a matter of fact. He does some good stuff on both of them, and I recognize his achivement. I don't like any of the others though. They have very few magic on them. He focuses on mistify his image most of the time, but he leaves aside, I think, his ability as a magician. I like lot more what criss angel has accomplished on his specials, it seems he's constantly freshing his magic acts. I don't like any of them much, but they both have interesting stuff to look at. My opinion...

Greatings to you all Smile
"The one that seeks for the truth takes the chance to find it". Isabel Allende

www.magopabloleal.com
SHOC
View Profile
New user
Las Vegas, NV
72 Posts

Profile of SHOC
While I have never really liked David Blaine's style, I found his show interesting because they are less about magic and more about the reaction of people.
danelwood
View Profile
New user
New Hampshire
85 Posts

Profile of danelwood
Something folks don't talk about much, but I really appreciate is
blaine doing the super classic old fakir tricks. Like eating snakes, pulling gems out of your eye, ripping off chicken heads and what not. He has a fascination with the roots of magic and stays true to it in an urban setting, actually many settings-- jungle villages, etc. Very multicultural and demonstrates how the fascination with magic performance really translates well across the board.

I came across the method for the gem from the eye when reading a translation of Robert-Houdin's autobiography. When I knew the method it only made me appreciate
his art more.

Just some other angles.

Dan
"Now watch closely!"
tikiman
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of tikiman
Quote:
On 2005-01-06 16:15, Pinto2 wrote:
David Blaine needs to get more video. When ever he is on tv it is always the same thing, know I find it boring, even though his tricks are extremly powerfull. There should be a better variety of magic on tv.

I'm sorry, but I think I pee'd myself when I read this.

To quote 'Back to the Future' "Rerun? Whats a Rerun?"

Quote:
On 2005-01-06 21:56, ace_spade wrote:
If you ask me I don't think Blaine is a good actor,lol,.
I have watched a lot and he looks more like he is doped than mysterious.
But he is awesome with cards ,and me too think he needs more material.

More Material? What exactly do you want him to do to make him more successful in your eyes?

I love this crap...

What you need to do, is asses the situation...

Who is on what side of the TV?

More Material... right if he gets more material he might get a rerun on cable...

* . = uncontrollable fits of laughter.