The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Street Magic :: Not another Blaine post...... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Jordini
View Profile
Inner circle
2765 Posts

Profile of Jordini
Ok, I'm sorry, but something has really really been bugging me lately. What IS David Blaine trying to portray himself as? I don't mean this to be flaming, I'm curious. Houdini was not really a magician, he was an escape artist, who happened to know some low level "tricks" Is DB trying to be a magician, or a stuntman? Criss Angel is portraying himself as someone (or something) with supernatural powers, and he really knows who his charachter is. I think that's why magicians don't like Blaine (aside from envy that he's making the big bucks and we're not). He doesn't really have a developed charachter, he's kinda all over the place: stuntman, magician, bizarrist, and a few others. The other thing that's been on my mind, is his "admiration for Houdini" He hasn't done ANY escapes! He was in a block of ice, in a coffin of water, on a pole, in a box, and some other places too. Why did he just come out? I would have liked to see him escape from the ice, that would have been worth watching. In any case, these are just a few things to ponder, and when I write this, it's in a pondering sort of tone, not a flaming one, so remember that when you read this. I'm hoping more for an intellectual debate rather than a raging argument.
Blainemagic
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of Blainemagic
He is taking fear straight on! And is showing everyone he is not afraid of anything.
the best tool for learning is... Experience
http://www.freewebs.com/killermagic24/
Jordini
View Profile
Inner circle
2765 Posts

Profile of Jordini
Er....well, not exactly. I mean, the buried alive and vertigo is looking fear straight in the eye, but he's still misguided and unsure about his motives. I mean, what's the fear in sitting in a box for a long time? Starvation? He gained a WHOLE ton of weight before he went in. He sorta has a grasp on his charachter, but it's still a little blurry what his message is.
indridcold
View Profile
Regular user
163 Posts

Profile of indridcold
Quote:
On 2004-05-05 03:37, Jordini wrote:
Houdini was not really a magician, he was an escape artist, who happened to know some low level "tricks"

I agree that he was primarily an escape artist, but I do think that he had the 'King of Cards' title as well. Smile
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
Quote:
On 2004-05-05 07:13, Blainemagic wrote:
He is taking fear straight on! And is showing everyone he is not afraid of anything.

Good grief... When I was 14, I felt the same way about Ozzy. And now I know why my parents looked at me like I was an idiot.

Quote:
On 2004-05-05 08:55, indridcold wrote:
Quote:
Houdini was not really a magician, he was an escape artist, who happened to know some low level "tricks"

I agree that he was primarily an escape artist, but I do think that he had the 'King of Cards' title as well. Smile

Hmmm.... keep in mind that the only place he is referred to as this is on the posters that he, himself, had printed. That having been said, Houdini knew more than some "low level tricks". Granted, he wasn't the greatest, and his escape exploits found him far more fame, but he did vanish an elephant when nobody else was doing things like that. And at the time, the threaded needle trick he did was quite original and amazing.

Jordini, now consider how much you know. And you would consider yourself a magician, right? Now consider how much Houdini knew. Can you honestly claim that he wasn't a magician? Just wanted you to think about that.
Homo vult decipi; decipiatur

http://www.myspace.com/liar_4_hire
abc
View Profile
Inner circle
South African in Taiwan
1081 Posts

Profile of abc
Both Blaine and Houdini are or were entertainers and pretty good at that but if I had to pay a 1000 dollars to watch one of the two I would watch Houdini any day of the week.
There is already a post that discusses Entertainment VS Pure Magic???? but Houdini's knowledge and ability to entertain far surpassed what most magicians know today. Such a pity. We are moving backwards.
prospero
View Profile
Special user
Elsewhere
572 Posts

Profile of prospero
Quote:
And at the time, the threaded needle trick he did was quite original and amazing.

Firedice, when you do the needle trick in the Hippodrome it doesn't exactly have the best effect.

Not to be flaming, Blainemagic, but ya gotta get your own identity in magic--but hey, David, is that you?

I think David Blaine's whole thing is that he wants people to THINK he's fearless. That's why his DVD is called "Fearless." These are "stunts," they are not Houdini-esque in any way, and they are not magic, he his a stuntman. A con artist even, but not a magician.
Jordini
View Profile
Inner circle
2765 Posts

Profile of Jordini
Quote:
On 2004-05-06 11:27, Firedice27 wrote:
Quote:
On 2004-05-05 08:55, indridcold wrote:
Quote:

Hmmm.... keep in mind that the only place he is referred to as this is on the posters that he, himself, had printed. That having been said, Houdini knew more than some "low level tricks". Granted, he wasn't the greatest, and his escape exploits found him far more fame, but he did vanish an elephant when nobody else was doing things like that. And at the time, the threaded needle trick he did was quite original and amazing.

Jordini, now consider how much you know. And you would consider yourself a magician, right? Now consider how much Houdini knew. Can you honestly claim that he wasn't a magician? Just wanted you to think about that.

I don't consider myself a magician because of what I know. I consider myself a magician because of what I do, and HOW I do it. Ok ok, Houdini did vanish an elephant, but nobody was impressed, because of the way it was presented. I can get bigger reactions from people with a single color change and the right presentation, than Houdini could get from vanishing an elephant with a bad presentation.
abc
View Profile
Inner circle
South African in Taiwan
1081 Posts

Profile of abc
Why all the anger over Houdini if the thread started about Blaine's lack of magician character?
Houdini was great and I am sure if he had all available to him that we have available today he would have drastically improved all his presentations. You cannot honestly compare then and now regarding effects and what we know about people and how they think.
Blaine is a clever money maker and good at it. I give him the due credit but I still don't know what he intends to be as a magician.
Jordini
View Profile
Inner circle
2765 Posts

Profile of Jordini
He's more of an actor that does magic.
Che
View Profile
Regular user
117 Posts

Profile of Che
Has anyone seen his "Above the Below" DVD??? I heard he was supposed to be doing some more close up Magic like in his first special. I'm just curious as to what effects he did, if any.