The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Street Magic :: One last thing about David Blaine, don't just skip this either (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
MagicAces
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of MagicAces
I think David Blaine is a little over rated by magicians new to magic. Even though he has received credit for tricks which are not his and has not stated otherwise, David Blaine has sparked an interest in magic and has exposed magic to the mainstream. It doesn't hurt the world of magic to have more and new creative minds, it actually helps more than anything.

Yes, many starting magic for the first time think that David Blaine is the greatest thing in the world, but they don't deserve to get bashed because it was him who brought them into magic. Once they learn after period of time they can become just as good as, they'll get past David Blaine this David Blaine that.

So those new to magic their's much more to magic then David Blaine and the tricks you see on TV. There is a world full of great magician that are wonderful other him. So it would be wise not to ask how is that trick done on David Blaine special, instead describe the effect and ask where to find it.

Despite all the magicians who don't like him, he has done a great thing for the magic community. He has made it more popular as before it wasn't.

MagicAces
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I compare David Blaine to William Chung, very bad. This weird, no personnality person is not doing anything good for magic. His presentations are all so much like a kindergarden beginner.

The only thing he has is a rich backer that has done wonders to make Blaine rich.
MagicAces
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of MagicAces
So are you saying all the new people interested in magic because of DB shouldn't be?
rannie
View Profile
Inner circle
4375 Posts

Profile of rannie
I am not a Blaine fan , but I certainly appreciate what he has done for magic. Its not about who got who interested in magic, but where do they go from there. I advice all new magicians(for lack of a better term "Blaine converts") to study the classics. Introduce them to various masters of magic and let them decide.

peace!

Rannie
"If you can't teach an old dog new tricks, trick the old dog to learn."

-Rannie Raymundo-
aka The Boss
aka The Manila Enforcer

www.rannieraymundo.com
www.tapm.proboards80.net
MagicAces
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of MagicAces
Rannie I think more people could think like you(lol).
nitram
View Profile
Veteran user
London U.K.
308 Posts

Profile of nitram
Looks like the Green-eyed Monster to me!
italianmagi90023
View Profile
Loyal user
250 Posts

Profile of italianmagi90023
My only beef with David Blaine is the fact that his tricks triggered a surge in the sale of old faithful effects. Effects that magicians have relied on for years because they are killers are now cycling through the lay public......as well as with shakey cart magicians.

Mike
Blainemagic
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of Blainemagic
Well I think that everyone has started magic or anything else because that have seen someone else doing it. And blaine has inspired many magicians and has helped the magic popularity.
the best tool for learning is... Experience
http://www.freewebs.com/killermagic24/
italianmagi90023
View Profile
Loyal user
250 Posts

Profile of italianmagi90023
Wow...is that you David...will you sign my rising deck?

Mike
prospero
View Profile
Special user
Elsewhere
572 Posts

Profile of prospero
I couldn't agree with MagicAces more. Every single word, man.
Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
Thhe only problem with Blaine is the immpression he give of us. People look at him and see the magician as a street wanderer who is too high on drugs to hold a real job so has to rely on the "magical" gimmicks.

Not my idea of good P.R. for the Magical Arts.

Peter
Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

I reject your reality & substitute my own

http://www.Scho-Lan.com
Che
View Profile
Regular user
117 Posts

Profile of Che
Quote:
On 2004-04-26 23:21, Paddy wrote:
a street wanderer who is too high on drugs to hold a real job

That describes me to a "T"!!!!!!

Hey!!! I think David Blaine copied my style!!!!!!! He owes me some serious LOOT!!!!!!
sinnead zenun
View Profile
Elite user
Mt. Makiling
408 Posts

Profile of sinnead zenun
Well I am thankful for david blaine. he had somehow change the people's impression about magic (in our country). before when I show someone a trick they just laugh at me and they think that I'm a fool from some carnivals or freak show. they don't treat magicians here as artist or magic as an art form. but after blaine's special was shown here in our country I got better reaction from audiences and they have more apreciation of magic. but the negative side and the one I hate, is that they keep calling me david blaine. I don't want to be known as a david blaine copy cat I wanted to be known as me.
bcharles
View Profile
New user
South Carolina
59 Posts

Profile of bcharles
I would just encourage the new magicians to seek out instruction through books, manuscripts, videos of other magicians. There is so much to be learned beyond just "how this or that is done". Magic is more than "doing tricks", but that's another topic.

Brian
Heavens to Mercitroids
View Profile
Regular user
117 Posts

Profile of Heavens to Mercitroids
Quote:
Even though he has received credit for tricks which are not his and has not stated otherwise,

What about the effects that ARE his?????
When it's my time to shine.....The whole world is going blind.....From the Shiesty side of town.....Where a nickle costs a dime!
the levitator
View Profile
Special user
Spellbound Productions
546 Posts

Profile of the levitator
While I agree that his television specials created a new surge in the interest of magic by the lay public, I think DB might be getting a little to much credit from the magic community. I mean, the way people talk on this board and others would make you think that he is a selfless martyr who stood up for magicians all over the world to promote the art of magic and make the world a better place for all of us in the art. Get real! David Blaine created interest in HIS concept to increase HIS popularity and HIS bank acount. David Blaine wanted to make life better for David Blaine, not little Billy and his recently purchased folding quarter. I'm not taking anything away from David, because I like his style and his determination to be famous. But let's face it, David did it for David, not for Magic as an art. His rise was indirectly responsible for the surge in magic's popularity, and we should al be thankful for that. But let's not saint the guy as if it was some selfless act to make us all feel better about being magicians.
"It's all in your head...."

James Anthony
www.jamesanthonymagic.com
Heavens to Mercitroids
View Profile
Regular user
117 Posts

I don't think his intentions were ever the topic of debate. I think people are just defending him as a legitamate Magician.

Quote:
On 2004-04-29 18:54, Heavens to Mercitroids wrote:
Quote:
Even though he has received credit for tricks which are not his and has not stated otherwise,

What about the effects that ARE his?????

This is a joke by the way.
When it's my time to shine.....The whole world is going blind.....From the Shiesty side of town.....Where a nickle costs a dime!
truthteller
View Profile
Inner circle
2584 Posts

Profile of truthteller
Who is William Chung?

Also, do you honestly believe a lay person looks at BLaine and goes, "he relies on magical gimmicks, so all magicians must?" I don;t think that is the conclusion a lay audience draws.
MagicAces
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of MagicAces
Tell the truth truthteller lol
Heavens to Mercitroids
View Profile
Regular user
117 Posts

Quote:
On 2004-04-29 20:11, truthteller wrote:
Who is William Chung?

Also, do you honestly believe a lay person looks at BLaine and goes, "he relies on magical gimmicks, so all magicians must?" I don;t think that is the conclusion a lay audience draws.

Say word!!!!

Lay people LOVE Blaine and the effects he performs. Anyone who passes up those effects because he populorized them is missing out on some great reactions.