The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Street Magic :: I know how it's done... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
frenchmagi
View Profile
Loyal user
264 Posts

Profile of frenchmagi
You must have all heard this at one point or another. What's a come-back to an audience member that says they know how the trick is done, and even though they're wrong, you hate to have to justify the effect.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Hi, raphlo2!

Let's see....my response?

Spec: "Hey, I know how THAT'S done!"
Me: "WOW! So do I!!!"

Then continue as if nothing was said...

Doug
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
"Wha? There's a trick to this? All these years I've been doing it the <hard> way!"
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
frenchmagi
View Profile
Loyal user
264 Posts

Profile of frenchmagi
Ok. But that's basically admitting that there's a trick to it...so it kinda beats the purpose, don'tcha think?
Bedford
View Profile
Special user
Louisville, KY
675 Posts

Profile of Bedford
In his 1992 cassette tape set, "Growing In The Art Of Magic", Eugene Burger discusses that question specifically, and has a great response which I use as needed. I won't repeat it here since it's part of his material, but you could probably go to his website and ask him directly. The tapes are out of print but there are probably some copies running around somewhere on the web. I would highly recommend them if you can find them.

Your best defense, of course, is to have a very good presentation and audience rapport. The bottom line, though, is that no matter how long you've been doing this and how good your presentation is, somewhere sometime you are going to get asked that question. The best response will depend on who is asking the question and why they are asking it. Which is the subject of a whole other discussion. . .
The Alchemy Moon Collective
Find us on Gemini Artifacts
frenchmagi
View Profile
Loyal user
264 Posts

Profile of frenchmagi
It seems like there are two types of people. The ones that want to see magic and are entertained by it, and the ones that feel challenged by it. The latter seem to be the ones that say "I know how it's done, it's done like this" And that's annoying. Because even when they're wrong, you can't sit there and explain to them why.
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Don't let those claims throw you.

They could be suggesting a couple of things.
1) They know the workings.
2) They know there's a gimmick or sleight of hand involved but saw nothing.
3) They saw something flash.

Just smile.
"That makes two of us. Let's keep it between us."
bond_jmesbond007
View Profile
New user
India
70 Posts

Profile of bond_jmesbond007
"Everytime I perform this trick, people come out with very nice explainations. I just leave them assuming that what they think is right!! That's Magic!! You think you know it but you still don't...."

The above will be cool if you are a magician who has his cool and are a good manipulator of words, tone, articulation and intonation. For others.....

"If you ever tell that again to any magician, I ll f*ck you in such a way that no f*cker can f*ck you or you can f*ck any f*cker!! You UNDERSTAND??? You BETTER UNDERSTAND!!! So let me show you another trick and lets see if you have the same response?"
majik
View Profile
Regular user
Albany,Ga.
117 Posts

Profile of majik
I like to tell them "you did that very well."[hand them a deck of cards an say] "What's your next trick. I want to be entertained." [I just love that strange blank look on their face.]
Leland Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
1204 Posts

Profile of Leland Stone
This is THE most irritating aspect of performing Magic, IMO...and I'm still looking for the correct comeback. Granted, that comeback will vary with the context -- as Jaz noted above, "I know..." can have several different meanings, and the response must be tailored to that meaning and the Wise Guy spouting off.

However, it seems to me that most who interrupt with "I know..." share one or more of these traits:
1] A little knowledge of Magic.
2] Insecurity -- Magic is a challenge to their intelligence (and, sometimes, their religious views).
3] Narcissism -- an unwillingness to share the spotlight.
4] Valid criticism -- sorry, Magi, but if our chops aren't polished and we flash the secret business, it's our own fault when we get nailed.
5] Bad manners -- these are often the same people who yap on their cells while others are TRYING to watch the movie, for example.

I don't know of a fits-all response, and the confrontational approach doesn't work well for me -- I simply come across as a bully and alienate the audience. What I have tried, with limited success, is as follows:

With children [smiling]: "We'll stop the Magic until you're finished." (Silence.)
With adults: "Hey, Magic theories! I LOVE this stuff! [Addressing others] Let's listen while he explains how Magic works! That sounds like fun, huh? Or...would rather just WATCH Magic being performed?"

Okay, there's my $0.02 worth. Your turn!

Leland
Servante
View Profile
Inner circle
1330 Posts

Profile of Servante
"I know how it's done."
"It's done very well, thank you."
Mayo
View Profile
Loyal user
WorymWood
211 Posts

Profile of Mayo
"I know how its done"

Continue performing.

You have the crowd. Don't EVER hesitate for a heckler, the crowd listens to you! You are the magician! If you treat the other guy as though he is not there the crowd will do the same.

~Mayo
"I love the night. It's the only time I feel really alive."

---Helen Chandler in the film "Dracula" (1931)
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to l
frenchmagi
View Profile
Loyal user
264 Posts

Profile of frenchmagi
The issue isn't so much with an audience. It's more with family and friends. An audience will respect what you're offering them. Family and friends may feel challenged and want to question the fact that "you're a magician." So what do you say when someone says "Those are trick cards" "It's an illusion" etc.
Alex Linian
View Profile
Inner circle
Peru
1277 Posts

Profile of Alex Linian
Yo say "no, I have superpowers" Smile
djrdjr
View Profile
Loyal user
Austin, TX
226 Posts

Profile of djrdjr
Quote:
On 2007-01-02 23:54, raphlo2 wrote:
Ok. But that's basically admitting that there's a trick to it...so it kinda beats the purpose, don'tcha think?

Nope. If you ever run into a spectator who doesn't think everything you do is a trick, send 'em MY way! Smile
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Quote:
On 2007-01-06 21:18, raphlo2 wrote:
The issue isn't so much with an audience. It's more with family and friends. An audience will respect what you're offering them. Family and friends may feel challenged and want to question the fact that "you're a magician." So what do you say when someone says "Those are trick cards" "It's an illusion" etc.

It's nearly impossible to convince family, friends and people who know you well that you're doing real magic. They know there's trickery involved but that's not to say that they won't enjoy a magical experience.

I'm not one to try and firmly convince anyone that I do real magic. To me it borders on charlatanism.

For those who ask how you did something or get freaked out from a trick, "It's an illusion" is actually not a bad answer. After all, I am creating the illusion of real magic. Hopefully an entertaining one.

When I do magic for family or friends I'll usually borrow a deck if available.
If I know they have Bicycles I can ring in and out a stranger card during a card to impossible location trick.
IT, loops and wax can be put to good use with any borrowed deck of cards.

Have you read Brad Burt's "Let me look at that" posts?
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewf......9&13
rpierce
View Profile
Inner circle
New Hampshire - USA
1220 Posts

Profile of rpierce
My problem with close up and children is they grab at whatever it is in your hands, the obvious suggestion would be to not be close up but that does defeat the purpose, any suggestions?
gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1725 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
The best I came up with so far (And it always works great)
Audience Member: "I know how you do that!"
Me : "Sweet! I am exhausted. Y'mind taking over for a bit?"
Hand them a prop and sit down.
When they get befuddled (Most do)give them a second or two then interject "I suppose not...I am the one getting paid...Can you help me with this next one though?"
Then do a trick where they do the working.

Gwyd
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6732 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Raphlo2, you forget one thing... how can you prevent people from doing that if even in our own community we have that thinking and attitude. Look through these boards and find how many times people come on to say, "I know how that's done" and proceed to give it away or hint at the method.
Just do a search for Cyril's stuff and you'll see the same petty thoughts of trying not only to figure out how it's done, but adding ways of doing it just to show how smart they are.
So, if we can't stop people from thinking that way in our own field then how will you ever prevent it from regular spectators.
My only wish is for those that constantly beg to know all the secrets, and love to share other people's methods, that at every point in their performances they get a sea of spectators doing the same to them... shouting, "I know how it's done!!!", "It's in your pocket!", "I googled how that works!!!" What a great form of justice that would be.

Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
JustinVisible
View Profile
Elite user
South Jersey/Philadelphia Areas
453 Posts

Profile of JustinVisible
Quote:
On 2007-01-09 14:10, gsidhe wrote:
The best I came up with so far (And it always works great)
Audience Member: "I know how you do that!"
Me : "Sweet! I am exhausted. Y'mind taking over for a bit?"
Hand them a prop and sit down.
When they get befuddled (Most do)give them a second or two then interject "I suppose not...I am the one getting paid...Can you help me with this next one though?"
Then do a trick where they do the working.

Gwyd

I like this..... gotta be the right atmosphere or patron because I could see one getting something said back or from management..... Mind if I use this on Thursday????? JPV
"If they laugh, it's funny..."