The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Street Magic :: Quarter and soda can (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Douglas.M
View Profile
Elite user
467 Posts

Profile of Douglas.M
Hi Sodman12

I think that while presentation and handling skill are absolutely necessary, there also has to be a certain "confidance" built in to the performance in order to sell it.

If you are the least bit uncomfortable with the props, your sleights, or any aspect of the performance, that uncertainty can be subtley broadcasted to the spectators.

I must also agree that "believing" what you are doing not only helps sell the effect, but can also give you confidance.

Think of it this way: If I worry that my color-changing knives might be seen as "gimmicked", I may not handle them in a convincing way. However, if I "believe" that it is an ordinary knife, and that weird powers are in play, then I will tend to handle them in a natural-seeming fashion, and the audience will "believe" as well. Of course, being able to do the "moves" in an unhurried and natural fashion takes practice, practice, practice.

Just my two cents!

Doug
gibson99
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of gibson99
Just received my DVD in the mail yesterday and I already feel comfortable running through the routine. It is absolutely AMAZING. My only concern is that people will attempt to do step 1 after I finish the trick and will accidentally figure it out.
ofrmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
202 Posts

Profile of ofrmagic
Just remember you need to work with there mind a little bit to make it look great and have a good reaction it does not matter what you do showmanship is the key
Randwill
View Profile
Inner circle
1914 Posts

Profile of Randwill
Quote:
On 2006-01-22 04:16, ofrmagic wrote:
Just remember you need to work with there mind a little bit to make it look great and have a good reaction it does not matter what you do showmanship is the key

You should invest in a new keyboard. All the keys on your current one don't work.
doublelift
View Profile
Veteran user
342 Posts

Profile of doublelift
Someone mentioned the healed and sealed. I wonder if anyone has combined the two ito a routine?
NYillusionist
View Profile
New user
New York
24 Posts

Profile of NYillusionist
I'm also a huge fan of this illusion. I thought it was the best purchase of '05 without a doubt. The thing is, everyone has to try to remember how amazed they were the first time they saw the trick performed (if you were amazed in the first place, lol!). I have a tendency to lose all faith in an illusion once I learn the method. Just something mental that I have to get over. The point I'm trying to make is not to give the spectator more credit than they deserve. I've gotten killer reactions from the most basic of illusions. I definitely agree that a lot of it has to do with presentation (but then again, that should be with all of your tricks, no?). Just have fun, and don't worry about a "dud" spectator. They'll always be tons more that will enjoy your stuff! ;-)
Joey Stalin
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1072 Posts

Profile of Joey Stalin
Quote:
On 2006-01-22 20:42, NYillusionist wrote:
I'm also a huge fan of this illusion. I thought it was the best purchase of '05 without a doubt. The thing is, everyone has to try to remember how amazed they were the first time they saw the trick performed (if you were amazed in the first place, lol!). I have a tendency to lose all faith in an illusion once I learn the method. Just something mental that I have to get over. The point I'm trying to make is not to give the spectator more credit than they deserve. I've gotten killer reactions from the most basic of illusions. I definitely agree that a lot of it has to do with presentation (but then again, that should be with all of your tricks, no?). Just have fun, and don't worry about a "dud" spectator. They'll always be tons more that will enjoy your stuff! ;-)

I have the problem to lose faith once I have learned the method as well. I always think that the spec will notice or catch on. And I know that I am giving them more credit than they deserve. I do remember what I thought when I first saw this effect. The spec part of my mind was blown away. The magician part of my mind was trying to work out how it was done. But I do remember a time where I was just fooling around with a deck of cards, not preforming for anybody, just doing some simple colour changes and some people that were seated next to me were impressed. Showed me how much power some of the simplest effects have.
-A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.
-It is easier to fight for one's principles than to live up to them.
-The secret impresses no one. The trick you use it for is everything.

See you space cowboy...
nelsonenrique
View Profile
New user
Puerto Rico
5 Posts

Profile of nelsonenrique
Hi, I just wanted to add that I changed the handling a little because I didn't feel natural with it. You don't have to use your mouth I actually give the can to the spectator to hold it while I'm cleaning the liquid off my hands and then I ask him or her to pour the liquid out. This effect with the right presentation is a KILLER effect and if you convice your audience that the quarter is really inside of the can (that's done bye combining the right method and presentation) you have acomplish one of the best impromptu effects ever(my opinion). The reactions are really strong so perform it and be natural remember that Wayne gave you the method now you have to work with the handling so you can feel comfortable. Enjoy it and I hope you get the reactions I get Thank You Wayne.
bobbyk
View Profile
Special user
Florida
683 Posts

Profile of bobbyk
I have performed this numerous times and have gotten wonderful reactions. I believe this is one of the best effects to hit the market in several years. No preparation, no gimmicks... Just a borrowed quarter, can, marker and your presentation. I don't see it getting much better than that. Would love to see more effects that are gimmick & Set up free that don't require a deck of cards. Nothing against card tricks as I do plenty of them. But this really was some great thinking on Wayne's part. Smart of Criss to use it in his show too. Just wish laymen couldn't get their hands on the DVD so easily.
Joey Stalin
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1072 Posts

Profile of Joey Stalin
Quote:
On 2006-01-23 15:25, nelsonenrique wrote:
Hi, I just wanted to add that I changed the handling a little because I didn't feel natural with it. You don't have to use your mouth I actually give the can to the spectator to hold it while I'm cleaning the liquid off my hands and then I ask him or her to pour the liquid out. This effect with the right presentation is a KILLER effect and if you convice your audience that the quarter is really inside of the can (that's done bye combining the right method and presentation) you have acomplish one of the best impromptu effects ever(my opinion). The reactions are really strong so perform it and be natural remember that Wayne gave you the method now you have to work with the handling so you can feel comfortable. Enjoy it and I hope you get the reactions I get Thank You Wayne.

Use your mouth for what?
-A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.
-It is easier to fight for one's principles than to live up to them.
-The secret impresses no one. The trick you use it for is everything.

See you space cowboy...
gibson99
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of gibson99
I have been experimenting with Sprite cans, Brisk cans, and Tropicana lemonade cans. They are all terrible for step 1. I tried a Dr Pepper can and it was GREAT for step 1. I have yet to try Coke or Pepsi, but I was surprised at how horrible the Sprite was for step 1.
The_Shadow
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of The_Shadow
I'm from the UK and Pepsi cans do not work at all for step 1. Coke cans are quite good for it however. It's probably the easiest can to get hold of as you can get it from any vending machine unlike the Miller Light (I think) that is used in, for example,the demo video.