The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Street Magic :: Smash and Stab, knife under the cup (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
teoswand
View Profile
Regular user
usa
108 Posts

Profile of teoswand
I like Cyril version, it is the best for me...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nD49mbICd_I
chronica
View Profile
Loyal user
France 94 Vitry s/s
246 Posts

Profile of chronica
I like the concept of the trick and plan to work on this effect. To locate the spike or knife or whatever I don't think it's a problem. I find the trick very deceptive when it is the spectator who chooses himself the one cup to be crushed(without card or dice for example...). Are there some versions for this effect?
magicianroger
View Profile
Loyal user
287 Posts

Profile of magicianroger
Ive got one called Death trap and have use it for years love it
semo
View Profile
Loyal user
San Jose, CA
300 Posts

Profile of semo
Don't take Jimmy Fingers' Slamdown lightly, until you've tried it. I think it could easily be dismissed as a throw away if you haven't performed it and see the reactions. It plays huge and is very convincing.

If I'm not mistaken, it is the only one on the market where all but one cup has the dangerous items inside and an audience member helps choose the cup where the hand gets smashed. This version gives a nice shocking kicker since the first time the audience sees the spikes is at the end. There's a playful moment as well, since your audience has not seen the danger, they figure you're bluffing.
Scott Emo, co-creator of Fenced In Illusion - There's nothing better than breaking free!

And creator of Sacred - The Child Conjuring Illusion - Because there is nothing more magical than the creation of a child.

Find them at: http://www.masterofillusions.ca/
magic4545
View Profile
Inner circle
Jimmy Fingers
1160 Posts

Profile of magic4545
Quote:
On 2009-05-10 17:07, chronica wrote:
I like the concept of the trick and plan to work on this effect. To locate the spike or knife or whatever I don't think it's a problem. I find the trick very deceptive when it is the spectator who chooses himself the one cup to be crushed(without card or dice for example...). Are there some versions for this effect?

Slamdown is the only one that I know of that allows the spectator to select the cup without any preshow or stooging. With other methods, there are so many possible explanations. I agree with what you're saying, locating the danger object isn't that difficult for a performer.
Havens
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
340 Posts

Profile of Havens
I'm looking for a nail version of this where you're able to slam your hand down on the cup with the nail. Obviously, I want to end the trick unharmed. Perhaps the nail disappears or collapses, that sort of thing.

Does anyone know if there's a version like this out there?
aitchy
View Profile
Loyal user
222 Posts

Profile of aitchy
The best version I ever saw was on Derren Brown's recent lottery show -

The atmosphere was amazing.
He had 100 cups on the floor, told a spectator one has a spike under it and told him to stamp on them all- but one.
He had a £500,000 cheque for the guy should it go wrong - so there was the duality of him not wanting the nail but wanting the money, too. Very tense - great TV!

It was great and I've no idea of Derren's methods here - he is hard to pin down, that man.

I think the safest is the Cobra Sharpie/fang - little room for error, and no holding you hand over each which looks odd.

On 2009-11-26 13:46, aitchy wrote:
PS- some fake blood in a TT - smash down hand, and splash some blood into your palm.

...if you feel wicked.
MarvinWang
View Profile
Loyal user
274 Posts

Profile of MarvinWang
They don't recommend it, but they still sell it, just like our government selling the cigarette.
Magic Alaskan
View Profile
New user
75 Posts

Profile of Magic Alaskan
I have the SPIKE, and it's a killer routine:

A simple game of chance...
With a four inch spike.
Four inches of cold, hard steel ground to a point, and rising vertically from a solid wooden base.
Will you drive your open palm down onto it with force?

Blindfolded?

Take the chance, prove yourself. A life without pain has no meaning. Give your life meaning.

Three unmarked wooden blocks are displayed and one four inch steel spike. The performer can have his back turned, be blindfolded, or even leave the room while the spectator places the spike into one block (free choice). The spectator is then instructed to cover all the wooden blocks with styrofoam cups. The performer walks over to the three cups and instantly smashes his hand on two, leaving the cup with the spike underneath untouched! An incredible feat of mentalism!

Ideal for stage, cabaret, cruises, and other larger venues, this hand-crafted beauty is a versatile magic prop that can be played for comedy or high drama! Whichever way you choose, you will leave your audiences spellbound!

Please note that there are no outer markings and the system used is sure-fire and no-fail 110% safe! Everything can be examined before, during and after.

"I like both the compactness of the apparatus and the simplicity and dependability of the method. It works like a charm and with a modicum of care and caution by the performer, ending up with a spike through the hand should not occur. But a word of caution, like any other dangerous stunt (remember me, I'm the guy with the three pistols) you must not be careless or suffer from brain cramps. The method is excellent but that does not mean accidents can't happen if you allow your mind to wander when it should be focused on the performance. If you're a professional, SPIKE is definitely recommended."
- Larry Becker

Murphy's Magic Supplies, Inc. is not liable for any misuse and any injury that may incur due to carelessness on the part of the performer and will not sell it to anyone under the age of 18.

Comes complete with 3 wooden bases, spike, velvet bag and DVD. Includes BONUS special gimmick so you can start on this today.

You can get it at Penguin....
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3405 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could help me name this trick.

It's a Smash and Stab/Russian Roulette style trick that uses what looks like a wooden chopping board and a large kitchen knife. The wooden board has 5 holes in it for the spectator to decide where they want to place the knife. This and the other 4 holes are covered with paper bags, and the performer smashes down on the bags, leaving just the knife.

I really can't remember what it's called, and I've mislaid my instruction sheet that would tell me. Any help gratefully received.

Cheers,

Ros
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
Amazing Magic Co
View Profile
Inner circle
1715 Posts

Profile of Amazing Magic Co
I, too, use Spike and love it. It is very ominous-looking and easy to detect.

Dan.
The Baldini
View Profile
Inner circle
I some how pounded in
2443 Posts

Profile of The Baldini
I like doing this with paper cups and an egg, it's funny and there is a more real sense that the mag can splatter the egg, I also toss a box of cups to the spec and allow them to take out 3 or 4 cups .
bwarren3
View Profile
Special user
518 Posts

Profile of bwarren3
I use the large stage version of Smash & Stab from Five of Hearts Magic in the UK, Wayne Dobson's original effect...beautifully made. I also use the Osterlind Stainless Steel blindfold. Unless you're drunk or just not paying attention, it's kinda hard to mess this effect up...so far...knock on wood, never missed....the spectator always sweats right down to their hands....nerves are shot and when the last cup is lifted and the 4" chrome spike is displayed, nothing but relief from the spectator.. Could not ask for a better effect...Can be performed surrounded like Street Magic, on Stage or a close-up situation...
Fantastic effect..no electronics to go bad...Call or email Sharron Rose or Colin...
Bill
illusionistaxe
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of illusionistaxe
Quote:
On 2009-01-30 08:38, M Sini wrote:
I have seen these videos as well. All the methods I know all have one flaw.... YOUR MIND. You know where the nail is located and you know you're supposed to smash the other cups but when you are so concentrated on not smashing the one with the nail....well you've seen the videos.

Haha...rightly said. I have performed Instinct by Mathew Mellow long back. (still risky) Now I use, Devil's Nail. Safest method I have seen so far. I would recommend it. I love Russian roulette kind of effects. Reputation makers and increased my bookings!

Good luck and cheers.
illusionistaxe
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of illusionistaxe
Quote:
On 2009-04-12 12:41, punx469 wrote:
Dan Sperry does the best version. He slides a razor blade into an Oreo and has them mixed up with his back turned and the assistants eyes closed, then instead of slamming his hand on them, he throws them in his mouth and chews them.... It's great! There are videos of this on YouTube... I think it's called Cookie Cutter. Check it out. There's also a couple of vids of people trying to perform it, but they just don't have the style that Sperry has.

That's a very impressive effect. Do you do it? if yes, how safe is it?
walidosama
View Profile
Regular user
algeria
107 Posts

Profile of walidosama
Can you recommend a book where I find a version of the russian roulette with paper bags and a nail ... I prefer a books coz of the country problems
User101
View Profile
Regular user
180 Posts

Profile of User101
Derren Brown-as usual-upped the ante with this trick on hi slatest TV special in UK last night. Spectator chose which cup to put it under(unseen by anone else),a second spec chose which cup for Derren to smash first then second spec to smash after that. Reveal was two of the cups had "This will be empty"(or similar) written in base and chosen cup had "this will be chosen and be at position 1 and in red cup"

Very good.
Jbbreckin
View Profile
Regular user
109 Posts

Profile of Jbbreckin
It was a good one that he did been trying to figure it out as when he showed the cups empty with the writing in them was really good
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I remember when this happened. I even met the fellow who messed it up. He worked for a large magic company in NYC. I won't mention which version of it that he messed up, but it is one that was advertised as being absolutely "fool proof." This was a method that used a visual cue. Theoretically, you would have to WANT to pierce your hand in order to do so. The fellow told me that he was concentrating SO HARD on not slamming down on the wrong cup, that he actually felt drawn to it and smashed it, anyway.

As Mark Twain said, "Nothing is fool proof, because fools are so ingenious."

Quote:
On Jan 29, 2009, jimhlou wrote:
What method they were using? Apparently they weren't using any method!

Jim
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Any version that uses a real blade or spike is an accident waiting to happen. I don't care how foolproof or how many safety gadgets it claims.