The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Knots and loops :: Professor's Daydream (13 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Dave&Marie
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of Dave&Marie
I am trying to find instructions for a trick that was available many years ago in Tannen's and Abbott's catalog called "Professor's Daydream." It is NOT the "daydream" that several people have talked about in this forum, in which the three ropes become one long rope. This effect is like Professor's Nightmare, except it uses colored ropes like this: A medium size yellow rope, a short red rope, and a long rope that is a color-changing rope, blue changing to red (to match the short red rope). Anybody know about this trick? I have been given this trick by a friend who is giving away his props, but he doesn't remember how to do it.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Simple, ask him for the instructions. The only Professor Day Dream I remember was in Dan Garrett lecture notes booklet, Teasers and Ticklers. I don't remember if it was with colored ropes or not.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I hate to 'rain on your parade", but, IMHO:, this is a good example of what Al Baker was talking about, when he said: "Many a good trick has died of "improvements"!"

Bob Carver's "Professor's Nightmare" has become a CLASSIC. "PN" meets ALL of my criteria for a good trick:

VISUAL EFFECT, VISIBLE PROP, VERSATILE EFFECT, ANGLE PROOF, NO TABLE NEEDED, SPOT ADAPTABLE, PACKS SMALL & LIGHT--PLAYS BIG. RECOGNIZABLE PROP, >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>AND>>>NO SET UP!!!<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

If I had had Carver's PN, when I was a kid, working in a carnie sideshow, I would have thought that I had died and gone to heaven!

Further, "IMO">>> The "Daydream" was produced to "fool magicians"! --MEH!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
I used to have 999 posts, now I have
1625 Posts

Profile of JNeal
There was a Japanese version of this multi colored rope trick put out some years ago... I have forgotten the actual name, but in the final analysis... Dick Oslund is right.
visit me @ JNealShow.com
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Ta DAHH! (taking a bow) hee hee

Thanks, Jon! We old geezers (HEGBLI & OSLUND) are "useful", eh?
Brad Jeffers
View Profile
Veteran user
376 Posts

Profile of Brad Jeffers
In the table of contents for volume 3 of Daryl's Expert Rope Magic Made Easy there is a listing for "Professor's Daydream".
This could be what you're looking for.
wizdangar
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of wizdangar
The unfortunately-named "Professor's Daydream" to which this thread initially refers is the colored ropes version. When I saw that Tannens had chosen this name, I pointed out to Tony Spina that people would easily confuse this with my more widely known "Professor's Daydream" whose name had already been established. Mr. Spina, to his credit, immediately re-named the effect to avoid confusion. I am grateful to him for that courtesy.
Now, Dick Oslund is absolutely correct. The original routine is perfect and needs no improvement. Bob Carver was one of my magic mentors. I learned the Professor's Nightmare (aka Carver Ropes, or in England, the Equally Unequal Ropes) from him. My routine uses 3 ungimmicked ropes, the exact same as Bob's, and continues in the spirit of the original Bob Carver routine. No cutting and restoring, just ropes changing in length in unfathomable ways, and being fully examined before and after.
Gene Gordon coined the name "Professor's Nightmare" (not Bob Carver) and has been often mistakenly given credit for the routine. A young magician showed it to Gordon and falsely claimed it and sold the rights to Gordon under false pretenses. Bob Carver never received a penny for inventing was is the most iconic rope trick in all of magic, second only to cut and restored. You can find a full history of this effect in the Linking Ring by Dr. Bill Spooner under the title "Anatomy of a Nightmare."
-- Dan Garrett
Dan Garrett (:}D)
S.A.M. National President 1994-1995
MIMC - Member of the Inner Magic Circle w/Gold Star
Obie's FFFF Board of Directors/Guest of Honor (w/Gene Anderson)
barneyS
View Profile
New user
Virginia
28 Posts

Profile of barneyS
Hi Wizdangar,
I looked for your reference to the "Anatomy of a Nightmare" in Ask Alexander and couldn't find it in the Linking Ring. Can you be more specific as to the issue and page?
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Karrell Fox later worked out a "smoother handling" for the set up of the PN. Karrell got the idea from the principle of Gen (U.F.) Grant's "50/50 C & R Rope. Doug Henning used the Grant C&R in his first TV special in the mid '70s.

Karrell also worked out a much smoother climax, in which the Equal ropes, changed back to odd sizes. IIRC, Karrell published the set up and the blow off in one of his books.

For many years, the TARBELL C&R was at the top of the list for rope tricks. IMO, Bob CARVER'S "PN" is the rightful successor to Tarbell's C&R. As Dan Garrett said, the PN is "perfect in itself".

If you feel that a combination of C&R, and PN is the 'way to do it', I recommend Pop Haydn's MONGOLIAN.
wizdangar
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of wizdangar
My mistake, the title of the historical article in the Linking Ring is "Chronology of a Nightmare" by Dr. Bill Spooner, PIP of the IBM. It is found in the
Linking Ring
Vol. 88 No. 2, page 62.
Dan Garrett (:}D)
S.A.M. National President 1994-1995
MIMC - Member of the Inner Magic Circle w/Gold Star
Obie's FFFF Board of Directors/Guest of Honor (w/Gene Anderson)
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3701 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
Quote:
On Jun 23, 2016, Dick Oslund wrote:
Karrell Fox later worked out a "smoother handling" for the set up of the PN. Karrell got the idea from the principle of Gen (U.F.) Grant's "50/50 C & R Rope. Doug Henning used the Grant C&R in his first TV special in the mid '70s.

Karrell also worked out a much smoother climax, in which the Equal ropes, changed back to odd sizes. IIRC, Karrell published the set up and the blow off in one of his books.

For many years, the TARBELL C&R was at the top of the list for rope tricks. IMO, Bob CARVER'S "PN" is the rightful successor to Tarbell's C&R. As Dan Garrett said, the PN is "perfect in itself".

If you feel that a combination of C&R, and PN is the 'way to do it', I recommend Pop Haydn's MONGOLIAN.

sunshine
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of sunshine
Quote:
On May 7, 2016, Dave&Marie wrote:
I am trying to find instructions for a trick that was available many years ago in Tannen's and Abbott's catalog called "Professor's Daydream." It is NOT the "daydream" that several people have talked about in this forum, in which the three ropes become one long rope. This effect is like Professor's Nightmare, except it uses colored ropes like this: A medium size yellow rope, a short red rope, and a long rope that is a color-changing rope, blue changing to red (to match the short red rope). Anybody know about this trick? I have been given this trick by a friend who is giving away his props, but he doesn't remember how to do it.
sunshine
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of sunshine
Did you ever get the instructions forProfessors daydream? would liv a copy. I have the trick but need the instructions
email
sunshine47@cfl.rr.com
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5965 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I've found that the easiest way to turn the ropes into one long rope is with ungimmicked ropes. There's a nice method in Pat Conway's A Pat Way To Con. I think gimmicks get in the way of smooth handling, in this case.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5965 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2338 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Quote:
On Nov 23, 2021, Alan Munro wrote:
I've found that the easiest way to turn the ropes into one long rope is with ungimmicked ropes. There's a nice method in Pat Conway's A Pat Way To Con. I think gimmicks get in the way of smooth handling, in this case.

https://www.magicmethods.com/p/books-med......y-to-con

There is , of course , a tremendous amount of other material in the Conway book that is very good, but if anyone is looking specifically to learn The Conway Rope Trick as an ending phase to the Professor's Nightmare where the three ropes are transformed into a single long piece of rope, let me suggest you pick up Nick Lewin's video 'The Nightmare 3-2-1- Rope Trick' . It's a digital download , so you could have it immediately and start learning it today (if you have a sufficient length of rope on hand ... and if you don't I can't imagine why you are even reading this forum !) You benefit from learning it from a magician who has performed it as part of his act for probably 35 years. Every move is explained very clearly. https://www.lewinenterprises.com/store/p......oad.html