The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Knots and loops :: Sliding knot:: another first time clip (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Here's another first time effect, that is in my current lecture. I never posted the whole thing online because it was a little odd.
Anyway, this is an un-gaffed traveling knot effect.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hALqI-209GI

It was the first time I had done this as a complete effect.
The music just makes me feel good.
Tango Rope
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I like it... a lot.... gives me an idea...
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9998 Posts

Profile of funsway
My immediate thought (beyond appraciation) is that at the end when the moving knot is at the center the rope it is actually cut rather than restored. Hard on rope purchases I know, but a follow-up effect can now be done with the shorter section. Then as a finale the ropes are again tied, stretched across and fastened to the chair -- and the knot now removed for the restoration.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Quote:
On 2010-09-17 07:39, funsway wrote:
My immediate thought (beyond appraciation) is that at the end when the moving knot is at the center the rope it is actually cut rather than restored. Hard on rope purchases I know, but a follow-up effect can now be done with the shorter section. Then as a finale the ropes are again tied, stretched across and fastened to the chair -- and the knot now removed for the restoration.

That would not be possible and still have an ordinary rope. I have, however, routined this with other effects. Plus, I can lead this in from Tabary, Sands, or Sanders effects, as the gimmick can be obtained from there.
The effect is, however a spoof of the sliding knot and has a degree of difficulty (as in awkward handling).
I have one move in this effect, that I had edited out at one time because it looked like a flash. But, I actually liked it after watching a few times, and, cannot figure out exactly how I did it.

On another aspect: I had a PM on this and the writer said "Back to the audience, BAD!"
My thought on this:
The back turning was deliberate, in order to do the move...I needed full body cover.
The "back rule" is generally a no-no unless it is integral to the effect.
I have used my back to the audience in other effects, and so have illusionists. The back is a form of misdirection when on a larger stage. It allows you to diss-appear and direct attention to the other elements on a stage.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Have a long piece, like you use. Near end No. 2 (2-3-feet from end) cut rope in advance and rubber cement back together.

Use a loop on a sleeve pull. Cut "it" AND TIE AROUND ROPE. Slide to cemented spot, pull rope apard and let loop fly up sleeve.

Show you have cut and moved the cut.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Very nice Ian
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Quote:
On 2010-09-17 20:19, Pete Biro wrote:
Have a long piece, like you use. Near end No. 2 (2-3-feet from end) cut rope in advance and rubber cement back together.

Use a loop on a sleeve pull. Cut "it" AND TIE AROUND ROPE. Slide to cemented spot, pull rope apard and let loop fly up sleeve.

Show you have cut and moved the cut.

Great ideas, but the point of this is to do as little as possible and achieve the cut and slide. The rope, both before and after the effect, can be examined. Even the setup, which could use a "knife" or scissor to add the gaff has been simplified with a mere palm.
The really cool part is going from a Sands effect or Fiber optic and using that to do the effect. In my case, I use a rope loop routine (of my own design) and then proceed to doing the Tango cut. No holdouts, pulls, levers, or pulleys, just rope and scissors and technique.
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
Good creative thinking
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
wally
View Profile
Inner circle
1831 Posts

Profile of wally
Never face you back to the Audience ???
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Quote:
On 2010-09-29 04:09, wally wrote:

That is a general rule and not a law. My back (in the case of this effect) is used as an integral part of the effect. I theatrically acknowledge the rope pieces and use my body as the frame for the effect. Even an illusionist has strategic back shots during an illusion.
inaciolino
View Profile
Veteran user
369 Posts

Profile of inaciolino
Congratulations Ian. It's a good routine. You've got a creative mind. See you!!!
Floyd Collins
View Profile
Inner circle
Ohio
1633 Posts

Profile of Floyd Collins
Quote:
On 2010-11-12 13:07, magicians wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-09-29 04:09, wally wrote:

That is a general rule and not a law. My back (in the case of this effect) is used as an integral part of the effect. I theatrically acknowledge the rope pieces and use my body as the frame for the effect. Even an illusionist has strategic back shots during an illusion.

Too me it looks like your hiding way too much with your arms and your whole body. There are ways to achieve this without looking like you have something to hide.

Nice routine but it seems like it needs a little more.

Just my thoughts I am not Rope Technician though.

Floyd
No one said it would be easy, or did they?

Check out my all new book "Chicken Scratches" visit my lulu store for more information.

http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/thecenterstage

http://www.collinscomedymagic.com
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Quote:

Too me it looks like your hiding way too much with your arms and your whole body. There are ways to achieve this without looking like you have something to hide.

Nice routine but it seems like it needs a little more.

Just my thoughts I am not Rope Technician though.

Floyd

Man, I do have a lot to hide. The body reverse, is admittedly a rough move, and I do not do it in a routine. This was just a sample of possible moves. The real move is the basic cut, separate, and move the rope back to restore it. The routine was a poof on the Pavel routine.
I am juggling so many pieces as this effect is done, that I doubt it would be viable as a real routine for the Pavel effect.
However, I am not using any gimmicks at all, so the extra arm and body movement is integral to implementation.
When developing avante garde routines, it is necessary to be odd and have suspicious movement until the routine is refined.
I originally posted this effect without that back move.
If you were a rope technician, you might appreciate the effect more. But, your observation as an audience is greatly appreciated.
BTW, I created this when I was 27.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Ian
Even better the second time.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
ropeadope
View Profile
Elite user
Mississippi
453 Posts

Profile of ropeadope
Nice effect Ian. I also like the music but maybe it should be called the "Barefoot Tango".

John
Nothing is better than more.