The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Knots and loops :: Name of trick (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9500 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
What's the name of the trick where you tie a large silk around both wrists - then a long piece of rope is threaded through and centered on the silk - then a volunteer stands back ten feet while holding the ends of the rope - and the magician penetrates the rope leaving the silk still tied around his wrists?

I looked in Tarbell but got tired of flipping pages. It might also be in Dunningers but I loaned my copy out.
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
Handkerchief Tricks section??? I'm sure you looked there already but I know the trick you're talking about. I never thought about it having a name though. Was it in Magic Made Easy?
...Your professional woodworking and "tender" loving care in the products you make, make the wait worthwhile. Thanks for all you do...

http://Sefalaljia.com
Stellan
View Profile
Special user
Sweden
580 Posts

Profile of Stellan
In Guy Fredrick's 101 Classic Magic Tricks (1995) (Rev of 101 Best Magic Tricks (1956)) it is called Rope Release.
Here there is one knot at each wrist. This is also described in Mac King's Campfire Magic. He calls it Bound For Glory. However, there is a variation with just one knot for both hands in Pete Biro's Give A Magician Enough Rope. He does not give it a name.
"There is no reality, only perception."
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
This was one I didn't think much of until I saw how strong it played for the audiences. I was the assistant for Francisco's Midnight Spook Show and Francisco did it and it was simple, yet very strong.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Marconic's Silk Magic hard bound book has this in it.
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
It's mostly found in kids magic books as a puzzle more than an escape. Wiz Kid Qua-Fiki discovered it embedded in Thayer's "Phantom Rope Escape," where it was used by Chevalier as an introduction to a more spectacular chair escape. Qua-Fiki references it and explains it in the "Double Rope Escapes" chapter of his "Escapes For Teens" book (on my site). No name was assigned to the part of the routine that used the handkerchief tied around the wrists... just that it was very old and very well known.

In Stewart James' Encyclopedia of Rope Tricks, it is called "The Handkerchief Release."
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
Fulves rope book calls it Locked in Place
Tape Tie in Hull's 33 Rope Ties and Chain Releases

related effects use a somewhat similar method:
a ring put on/off a rope; Denhart Ring on the Rope; Tarbell 6

put a knot into the middle of the rope: Fourth Dimension knot (Fulves) or Knot of Enchantment (Daryl's Rope & Ency of Rope)

then slightly different yet, putting a finger ring onto that rope: Telekinetic Ring (Fulves) or Borrowed ring on Cord(Hull's 33 rope ties)
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9500 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Thank you all. There will be a "little something extra" in your holiday bonus checks, this year.