The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Knots and loops :: 3 of the best (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
obi-wan
View Profile
New user
UK
83 Posts

Profile of obi-wan
For someone starting out in rope magic, what would you reccomend as the best book, video and effect to get them going?

Thanks Smile
RayBanks
View Profile
Special user
Nassau Bay, TX
533 Posts

Profile of RayBanks
To get started?

Book: Abbott's Encyclopedia of Card Magic

Video: The Tabary series

Effect: Sandsational, Carver's Ropes (aka Professor's Nightmare)

That should do it

And, of course The Mark Wilson Complete Course.
-------------
Pick a card, any card...No. not THAT one...THIS one

Ray Banks
Ian Richards
View Profile
Loyal user
226 Posts

Profile of Ian Richards
Book: "Self-working Rope Magic" by Karl Fulves. I think that it is the best of his self-working book series. It does not teach routines but does teach moves.
"Abbotts Encyclopedia Of Rope Magic" is a close second.

Video: Both of Tabaray's videos are very good. If you are going to get into rope magic, I also think that the Daryl videos are excellent. These videos include his rope routine based on George Sands "Sandsational" rope routine and "The Jumping Knot Of Pakistan" which is probably my favorite rope routine.
If you are looking for just one routine "Loose Ends" by John Zander is worth checking out.

Routine: "Three Ropes And A Baby" by Richard Sanders. This incorporates many of the classics, i.e. Professor's Nightmare into a very entertaining routine.

There is no shortage of potentially good material from everything that has been listed.
obi-wan
View Profile
New user
UK
83 Posts

Profile of obi-wan
Do any of the books and videos mentioned contain Professor's Nightmare as I have heard a lot of talk about how good this effect is and would quite like to learn it?

Thanks Smile
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10969 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
1. Aldo Colombini Mama Mia Rope Magic
2. Salvanos Stage Magic
3. Sheigo Tekagi Rope Magic
4. Flip
5. Tabary
They can all be found on videos.
vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Nice to see Salvano's name. He fooled the wiz out of us with his rope stuff and it isn't that complex.

So much of the routines, IMHO, are just too complicated, like Tabary's. I think his is for magicians and for laymen I like Harold Sterling's original Short and Long and/or various ways (mine) of doing the Professor's Nightmare.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com