The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Knots and loops :: Best rope tricks (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
Northern California - United States
3783 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
Okay, I'm taking a small survey:

What do you feel is the best rope trick or routine available? Smile
"Always be you because nobody else can" - Steve Brooks
RayBanks
View Profile
Special user
Nassau Bay, TX
533 Posts

Profile of RayBanks
Best? Not sure.

But I know that I always get a great response when I do Professor’s Nightmare and Penetrating Ropes (through a volunteer).

Also I do a comedy cut and restored that usually works pretty well.

But BEST?

I’d say Professors Nightmare.

Ray Banks
-------------
Pick a card, any card...No. not THAT one...THIS one

Ray Banks
Jack
View Profile
Veteran user
371 Posts

Profile of Jack
Lately I've been performing Francis Tabary's rope act (Volume 1 - The Rope Act, A-1 Multimedia). It's really fun to perform and has a completely different feel and appearance to it. The audience loves it.

Magically, Jack Smile
Magicman0323
View Profile
Special user
Just outside parts unknown.
713 Posts

Profile of Magicman0323
In my humble opinion The Professor's Nightmare. Smile
You'll wonder when I'm coming, you'll wonder even more when I'm gone. - Max Malini
jasonmagic
View Profile
New user
Jason Magic Productions (Martinsburg,WV)
64 Posts

Profile of jasonmagic
Michael Finney does a really good routine using the cut and restored rope. I don’t know the name of it, but he refers to end A and B and the middle. It looks really good. I’d like to learn that, but my favorite I use is the Panama Rope Mystery in the Tarbell Course. That is powerful. Smile

Jason Wratchford

MAGICIAN

http://www.jasonmagic.com
Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
Northern California - United States
3783 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
That's great Jason, there are a lot of hidden gems in them there Tarbell books! Smile
"Always be you because nobody else can" - Steve Brooks
Martino
View Profile
Special user
Manchester, UK
929 Posts

Profile of Martino
I like Daryl's "Jumping Knot of Calcutta" handling of Pavel's "Fantastic Knot" it's very visual and Knot too tough. Smile
"There's a difference between not knowing how something is done and knowing it can't be done!" - Simon Aronson
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
Toss up: Tabary’s rope routine, Daryl’s routine, or either of Aldo’s routines are some of the strongest magic, with rope or otherwise, you could witness or perform. But if I had to pick one routine, I’d go with George Sands's as it is the one that started it all and on which all these others are based. People forget about George, but he was a great magician, showman, and innovator.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
John Zander
View Profile
Loyal user
Downey, CA
247 Posts

Profile of John Zander
The very best routine is called "Loose Ends" by John Zander. Smile Smile

Okay, okay, other than that in my opinion Aldo Colombini is king of the ropes. His routine "Tightrope" is fantastic. Check out his book "On The Ropes" for some other great routines.
Thank you,

John Zander

The Award Winning

Comedy Magic of

John Zander

http://www.ZanderMagic.com

http://www.AllMagic.net
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5935 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
greatscott,

You said George Sands was...

Did he leave us when I wasn’t paying attention? I sure hope knot.

He invented some incredible magic which has inspired many of the best.

Another great rope magician— Ron Dayton. I believe he is working with Aldo on a video of Dayton’s original routines.
Bengi
View Profile
Veteran user
Georgia
309 Posts

Profile of Bengi
Remember Professor Cheers Comedy Rope?

That’s not it.

Remember Instanto Rope?

That’s not it.

If you want laughs, try George Sands's "Sandsational Rope Routine". It’s well worth the money.

Bengi
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
I don't know that he has passed on, but he is retired.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5935 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Phew,

I knew that he retired and lectures but rarely. I was lucky to have seen him lecture about seven years ago. Maybe more.
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
George Sands is still with us but he is not well.

His Sandsational rope routine is brilliant; you can use all of it or any part of it. Personally, I use his cut and restored section as a stand-alone piece; it is great!

Best rope routine?

My vote has to go to the Prof. Nightemare as I do it (a yarn about my mythical Uncle Linguini).

But, then, it’s taken me 10 years to build up the routine to the stage it’s at now, with all the bits and gags.

And I’ve performed it more than 3,000 times; it is my most requested piece while table hopping; some people have seen it a dozen times and they still ask for it.

cheers,

Peter Marucci

showtimecol@aol.com

Smile
RayBanks
View Profile
Special user
Nassau Bay, TX
533 Posts

Profile of RayBanks
Reading Peter’s post reminded me of something.

I said earlier that I thought Professor’s Nightmare was the best rope effect and Peter’s right— they keep asking for it.

I performed it at my department’s booth at a NASA chili cook-off and one guy came back three times with other people for me to show it to them!

There can be no better indication that you are doing something amazing than that.
-------------
Pick a card, any card...No. not THAT one...THIS one

Ray Banks
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Ray's exactly right. The true definition of "good" should be what the spectators consider as good, not so much what you, the magician, consider as good.

cheers,

Peter Marucci

showtimecol@aol.com
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5446 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
I have to agree with both Peter and Ray, the “Professor's Nightmare” is probably one of the best, all time, UNGIMMICKED rope effects there is. It is sad the inventor Bob Carver doesn’t get more credit for it. I think that it has been ripped-off and sold by every magic dealer out there as “My Favorite Rope Trick”! I believe that Bob is still alive and still performing.

The version I use is right out of Slydini (The Magical World of Slydini). It is his Cut and Restored to Professor's Nightmare routine. The measurements and cuts of the rope for the Professor’s Nightmare are built right into the routine.

I used to do a version with gimmicked ropes. It ended with the rope restored back to one length at the end (Pavel made it for me but, alas, it took a walk one night after a show!).

I think that E.G. Moore’s “Linking Ropes” is also brilliant. I believe that he was one of the first to use that particular gimmick in a rope (his Instanto-rope came first but was the same gimmick).

However, for a “Best” in GIMMICKED rope effects I think that Pavel’s “Super Walking Knot” (the original version that can be cut anywhere on the rope not the newer three gimmick one) can’t be beat.

I must say that Pavel’s “The Phenomenal Rope Trick” is a super nice effect and almost (underscore almost) self-working. For a parlor/street/stage venue it is tops!

A cut-traveling knot-linking-restored rope routine. Lots of effects in one routine.

By the way, did you know that Pavel will custom make (gimmick) any rope effect you can dream up?
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
1977 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
Whit Haydn's "Mongolian Pop Knots".

Regards,

Thomas Wayne
MOST magicians: "Here's a quarter, it's gone, you're an idiot, it's back, you're a jerk, show's over." Jerry Seinfeld
cataquet
View Profile
Veteran user
England
363 Posts

Profile of cataquet
The Mongolian Knots is hard to beat. And, for a non-gimmicked rope trick, it is definitely top of the heap.

However, I have a linking ropes routine which I think is great. It starts with three separate loops which link one at a time, then two single loops become one larger loop, then the spectator does the linking between the two remaining loops, and the routine finishes with the two remaining loops linking to form one large loop. It's based on Tenyo's "Hungarian Linking Ropes", but I could never make out their instructions, so I made my own routine up for the props.

Bye for now

Harold
Harold Cataquet
Andy Charlton
View Profile
Veteran user
Palma Nova Mallorca Spain
311 Posts

Profile of Andy Charlton
Hi there.

I use an effect, available from http://www.practical-magic.com/ , called Skip ’n’ Snip. It’s a cut and restored skipping rope trick. Loads of built-in comedy, and pretty easy to do, leaving all my energies for the performance.

I use it in every kid’s show I do, and also in a weekly adult parlour type show that I do.

Great effect and not expensive.

Cheers

Andy
"Keep that smile on your face, that excitement in your eyes." - Don Driver

Check out www.andyandjeansbigadventure.com
or
www.andysmagic.com