The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Knots and loops :: Source Needed for Braided? Rope (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
shomemagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Missouri
2228 Posts

Profile of shomemagic
Source Needed for Braided? Rope...to be more particular the type of rope that Daryl's Jumping Knot of Pakistan is made of...at least what he did use a while back..not sure if he uses the same now.

Posted: May 25, 2006 3:28pm
------------------------------------------------
Anyone??? Surely some of the great minds here, knows where to get this rope.
Magically,

Mike King - Sho-Me Magic

You can e-mail me at: shomemagic@gmail.com
leftytheclown
View Profile
Loyal user
Illinois
255 Posts

Profile of leftytheclown
Daryl as far as I know does not use braided rope for his jumping knot of Pakistan. You can make your own (for personal use only) by doing some research on spool knitting. If you want convenience buy his.
Lefty (aka) Sterling Dare
Author: Money Menagerie
Book and DVD
Steve V
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1878 Posts

Profile of Steve V
I've not seen spool knitting in years but that would work.
Steve V
leftytheclown
View Profile
Loyal user
Illinois
255 Posts

Profile of leftytheclown
I learned spool knitting as a kid using string. I purchased Daryl's older version of the Jumping Knot. A Home Ec teacher looked at the solid color rope and gave me the magic words, "spool knitting". I bought some yarn, etc., etc., etc.
Book and DVD
jolyonjenkins
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
1183 Posts

Profile of jolyonjenkins
I see that you can buy machines to do spool knitting. Might be an interesting investment particularly if you wanted to make gaffed rope.
Jolyon Jenkins
leftytheclown
View Profile
Loyal user
Illinois
255 Posts

Profile of leftytheclown
Yes,
There are machines that will make thin cord. I looked at some blogs and found that the set up was tedious and very thin yarn is all that the machine will take. Mattel had a child's knitter that made tubes. That might have worked, but it is no longer being manufactured. A sock knitter migh work, but they are expensive. If you want a 1/4 in or thicker cord (Mine is close to 1/2 inch), you are better off doing it the slow, by hand, spool knitting method. If you can knit, you can make a rope using needles pointed at both ends. You cast on 4 or 5 loops, knit a row and then reverse to other end of the needle. You can find it online, but I don't remember where. True knitting may be faster than spool knitting--if you can knit.

Spool knitting is tedious. You have to pull the loop over the nail and then pull down on the rope, etc. However, it does turn out a very nice, professional looking product.
Book and DVD
jolyonjenkins
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
1183 Posts

Profile of jolyonjenkins
Thanks - I hadn't realised the size limitation. How many nails do you use? And what gauge yarn?
Jolyon Jenkins
jgoldsney
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of jgoldsney
Not sure if this is what you are looking for but it looks promising

http://cancord.stage.thomasnet.com/item/......filter=0
-----------------------

There are 10 types of people in the world...Those who understand Binary and those who don't Smile