The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Knots and loops :: Fiber optics gravity slide (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
jolyonjenkins
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
1183 Posts

Profile of jolyonjenkins
I'm having fun with Fiber Optics but can't get the sliding move down - the one where you slide the "ends" down by gravity. The piece either goes too fast or too slow, or falls off altogether. I think because I can't quite predict the speed, I'm not good at catching it. (Also, I do have some doubts about that part of the routine: it seems a bit transparent)

I'm using quarter inch cotton rope with the nylon core removed. It's nice and soft and flexible but maybe has gone a bit hairy from lots of practice. Would it make a huge difference if I bought the rope Sanders recommends? Or do I just need to put in more hours?
Jolyon Jenkins
h_A_Z
View Profile
Special user
Ireland/Msia
701 Posts

Profile of h_A_Z
I kinda gave up with this move. It is not consistent for me ( I didn't really put much work on it anyway ). But IMHO this move kinda give away the "how did he do that" out of the routine. For that, I have left this move out in my routine. Works fine for me Smile
jolyonjenkins
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
1183 Posts

Profile of jolyonjenkins
Yes, it's strange that he makes a big deal about not showing the whole small piece elsewhere but puts it on display quite openly early in the routine.

I think this may be one of those routines which seems fairly simple at first sight but where you have to do it *really* well to give the appearance of magic.
Jolyon Jenkins
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
There are a lot of "fiber optics" moves that will only work if you throw them at the audience, kinda all at once like giggly Richard Sanders does. I use just a few "fiber optics" moves combined with "full circle" a beautiful two rope ring and rope routine that the audience understands, and the big slideing board move is definitely out for me. I think that move takes away the magic and leaves you with an optical illusion.
HAVE FUN
Al Angello

PS- I would recommend elite 3/8", Fun Inc. 3/8", or Daryl's 1/2" rope. I like to keep the core in for body, but that's your call.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
h_A_Z
View Profile
Special user
Ireland/Msia
701 Posts

Profile of h_A_Z
Al Angello, where do you get the ropes from? I need to get new ones as mine is getting dirty. The only place I know is Hank Lee. Any other sites? Thanks
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
H_A_Z
You can get the Daryl rope at http://www.foolerdoolers.com Denny & Lee sells the Fun Inc. rope, and I have never bought any Elite rope, but I have used it, and it is just as good at the Fun Inc. stuff.
HAVE FUN
Al Angello
h_A_Z
View Profile
Special user
Ireland/Msia
701 Posts

Profile of h_A_Z
It seems like Denny & Lee has the best deal. Thanks Al!
Daegs
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
4291 Posts

Profile of Daegs
I perform this move each time I do the routine...It takes some practice but seemed simple enough to get down.

I don't know what you guys are thinking regarding whether this exposes, the thing is visible for about a half of a second, and it begins and ends with 2 visual pieces of magic... not exactly like they are getting to stare at it.

If anyone actually notices its a small piece of rope in the .5 seconds its visible I'd work on your routine a bit more as you are definatly not doing it right...

All they see are the ends sliding from one end to the other, there is not enough time to recognize exactly what is where, it is no more "exposing" of the small rope than any other part of the routine....
jolyonjenkins
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
1183 Posts

Profile of jolyonjenkins
There is a difference in that with the other bits of the routine you never get to see the whole of the small piece - it's either two ends, or a "middle"

But it sounds as if speed is the key. Which probably brings me back to whether I need to use fancy rope
Jolyon Jenkins
Daegs
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
4291 Posts

Profile of Daegs
I use elite stage rope...

but I still say that they don't get to see the whole of the small piece during the move.(the image of the small piece and actually "seeing" that its the small piece are two very different thing, a principle that most of magic relies upon).

it's a flash and they don't know its coming... unless they have a video recorder I doubt any more than .001% of your audience is ever going to be able to sort out exactly the topology of the rope during the move.

We are talking about a group of people that don't notice the Sudden Deck grows an extra side, people that don't see how the gypsy switch works, that the Jinx card switch works on, that fall for the cross-cut or the Cut Depper force.

Yes I believe speed is an issue, I never let it "stop" on the rope, its a simple slide and catch motion, but as long as you keep it in motion I can't imagine any spectator can actually reconstruct the topology and figure it was a small piece resting on the rope.

When viewed from someone who hasnt seen the routine and isn't privvy to the workings, it really does seem as if the ends "slide" to the other side of the rope... its akin to "endless chain" imho, working out exactly what piece belongs where isn't something they can really do.
jolyonjenkins
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
1183 Posts

Profile of jolyonjenkins
Have you performed it a lot? Do you go through it at the same kind of pace as Sanders? Some people have thought that his lack of meaningful patter is a weakness but I feel that too much talking would slow things down and let the audience "reconstruct the topology", as you say.
Jolyon Jenkins
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Rjenkins
You spent over $35.00 for a very fancy trick, and perform it with $1.00 worth of 1/4" cotton clothes line?
Al Angello
Daegs
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
4291 Posts

Profile of Daegs
I perform it EVERY time I perform(discounting impromtue stuff).

I put it into my show less than a week I believe from ordering it(and this is from doing zero, I mean *zero* rope stuff not even prof. nightmare). It just fit.

It is one of the few routines I've bought where it just fits my personality and style right out of the box.... which is odd because I'm not a huge fan of some of Richards card work..(nothing against it just not my style).

I would say yes, its about the same pace as Sanders. I treat it basically as a visual orgy of magic... its fun, its fast and its visual. The audience has fun and I have fun. I often hear, afterwards(if I'm able to stick around), that the ropes must stick together(especially after the "sticking the ends together" phase) or that the ends must detatch, but even the beginning and end examinations don't really seem to change that... it's almost TOO visual as they can't fathom how its possible.

I don't really treat it as a very big mystery, more as a fun segment of entertaining visual magic.

It fits into the perfect spot in my act and I wouldnt change it out for the world... it hits them and it hits them hard, its great as they still have their jaws on the floor by the time you get to your next effect....
jolyonjenkins
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
1183 Posts

Profile of jolyonjenkins
Quote:
On 2006-04-17 09:42, Al Angello wrote:
Rjenkins
You spent over $35.00 for a very fancy trick, and perform it with $1.00 worth of 1/4" cotton clothes line?
Al Angello

The DVD was less and the rope was more ... not sure your logic computes though - if I have spent that much on a DVD do I really want to have to spend even more on the rope? Only if necessary!
Jolyon Jenkins
jolyonjenkins
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
1183 Posts

Profile of jolyonjenkins
OK, you've shamed me into buying 10m of 7mm elite rope for a shocking £8.49. It better be good.
Jolyon Jenkins
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Congradulations
Now you are talking like a real professional. Richard Sanders tells you how to prepare the ends, and pure white rope will make it quite a fancy trick indeed.
HAVE FUN
Al Angello.
BrucUK
View Profile
Regular user
UK
163 Posts

Profile of BrucUK
I hate the move, not because it doesn't work if performed quickly, but to me, it introduces "risk" into an otherwise "risk free" series of moves.
If it falls on the floor whilst sliding, then the specs. get a few seconds to look, and the game is up...
Bruce
jolyonjenkins
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
1183 Posts

Profile of jolyonjenkins
My expensive rope started to go grey thanks to lots of practice, so I washed it. While it was wet I started to do the Move, and it was a lot easier. I don't know whether because it was heavier, or because the water lubricated it. Has anyone experimented with lubrication?
Jolyon Jenkins
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I use the Carmirand elite rope and love it. Since you're not using it up, why not buy the good stuff. Also, for the slide, I pinch the small piece to keep it from falling off and I also only let it slide about 18". I'm sure as I get more comfortable with it, that distance will increase. The shorter distance allows more more control.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Troels
View Profile
Loyal user
Denmark
205 Posts

Profile of Troels
I started practising the Gravity Slide with a 3/8" (10 mm) very soft nylon rope. That didn't work. After changing to the same size of soft cotton string everything changed. The sliding speed was constant according to the tilting angle and the little piece kept its corner instead of streching out and tilting. Try different kinds of rope if it doesn't work.

Should you use the move?
I can only say: The first twoo times I saw it at the video I just laughed loud. Because I was surprised and confused. Now I practise every day. But I would never use all the moves in a single routine. Too much repeating from spectators point of view.