The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Knots and loops :: Comedy rope routine (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Hi Pop!

Re: your note above (8 minute rope routine)

YES! I got started with rope material in 1946 with R. W. Hull's "Fifteen Minutes With A Piece Of Rope". I'm still using some of those bits. Hull's vanishing knot, his handling of the rope thru neck, etc. are absolute GEMS. That same year (I was 16) the late Roy Shrimplin showed me Joe Ovette's "Repeat Knots". (The late Roy Mayer got a Standing "O" in a military school with Ovette's bit. It was the second trick in the show. Roy had to really work to maintain the tempo and build to his finish (45 minutes later). I've used it since then!

In 1954, Ken Allen passed along his "If You Like It". Working a few years later with Denny Loomis, we worked out a routine involving IYLI, Slydini's "Nightmare Cut" and our own version (pre- Conway) of a bluff restoration. That routine opened the high school program for almost ten years! I ended up each season with a bushel basket overflowing with "nightmare cuts". I made a deal with Frances Marshall. I traded her baskets of "cuts" for spools of rope! She saved time making up nightmares, (each one tested in performance, by a professional! hee hee)and I saved $$$!

In '59, old pal Gene Gordon had handed me the Prof. Nightmare. Great effect, but I didn't like the set up moves. Karrell and I discussed it and he said the Gen Grant "moves" for Gen's 50/50 rope c/r would do the job. (BTW Doug H. did the 50/50 on his first TV special in '75--it killed!)

So! I have "20 minutes with a piece of rope!!!" (well, almost) The Kellar Tie -- or variations could add more time! Howsomever, I usually do only five minutes in a high school finishing with "my" NORWEGIAN YOYO. If I pad with the Will Rogers "Snap" knot, it's another one to two minutes.

If I were still on the road, I would be playing with your "Pop Knot". I think it's a great piece.

PS::: I did John Booth's presentation of the Hydrostatic Glass in the '40s--messy but good. When De Yip Loo passed along the Stewart James "TIP-CEE bottle in '74, it went 'in' the following year. After a season's polishing, I started closing the high school program with it, I think your hydro. glass is excellent! --but, at my age, I'm not breaking in new material!

If Karrell had not shared his 3 ring routine, I would certainly be using your 4 ring routine! (Hersy Basham gave me your HAND WRITTEN routine, a few years before he left us. Thanks for what you are doing!!!!!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
paulapaul
View Profile
Regular user
Nevada
173 Posts

Profile of paulapaul
Dick - You and Whit are Magic Gods!!! (Quietly worshiping from here in my little house)

Caféinst - The music that TC Tahoe does his rope routine to is a great, upbeat piece. You can find this type of music by Yello. To see if Yello or Danny Elfman are to your liking, you can sample a lot of music online. Any CD by yello will give you tons of very usable music.
jcrabtree2007
View Profile
Special user
627 Posts

Profile of jcrabtree2007
Quote:
Caféinst - The music that TC Tahoe does his rope routine to is a great, upbeat piece. You can find this type of music by Yello. To see if Yello or Danny Elfman are to your liking, you can sample a lot of music online. Any CD by yello will give you tons of very usable music.

Thanks for the info: I'm going to check out yello. Never heard of him. Danny Elfman is so amazingly talented.
jcrabtree2007
View Profile
Special user
627 Posts

Profile of jcrabtree2007
Rope magic is so great because it is so versatile. Easy to put your own spin on it. Its classic magic at its finest.
And it Works great for children's magic. All kids know what rope is. Over the years, I found that having the kids do the magic works so much stonger (touch the rope here- now the ends come off). So instead of me doing all the magic- the kids do it.
I know that probably sounds like Magic 101 for kid show performers- but it took me awhile to figure that out. We all know that magic done in the spectator's hands is always more powerful. Same can be applied to ropes.
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3701 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
Quote:
On 2013-09-05 08:43, Dick Oslund wrote:
Hi Pop!

Re: your note above (8 minute rope routine)

YES! I got started with rope material in 1946 with R. W. Hull's "Fifteen Minutes With A Piece Of Rope". I'm still using some of those bits. Hull's vanishing knot, his handling of the rope thru neck, etc. are absolute GEMS. That same year (I was 16) the late Roy Shrimplin showed me Joe Ovette's "Repeat Knots". (The late Roy Mayer got a Standing "O" in a military school with Ovette's bit. It was the second trick in the show. Roy had to really work to maintain the tempo and build to his finish (45 minutes later). I've used it since then!

In 1954, Ken Allen passed along his "If You Like It". Working a few years later with Denny Loomis, we worked out a routine involving IYLI, Slydini's "Nightmare Cut" and our own version (pre- Conway) of a bluff restoration. That routine opened the high school program for almost ten years! I ended up each season with a bushel basket overflowing with "nightmare cuts". I made a deal with Frances Marshall. I traded her baskets of "cuts" for spools of rope! She saved time making up nightmares, (each one tested in performance, by a professional! hee hee)and I saved $$$!

In '59, old pal Gene Gordon had handed me the Prof. Nightmare. Great effect, but I didn't like the set up moves. Karrell and I discussed it and he said the Gen Grant "moves" for Gen's 50/50 rope c/r would do the job. (BTW Doug H. did the 50/50 on his first TV special in '75--it killed!)

So! I have "20 minutes with a piece of rope!!!" (well, almost) The Kellar Tie -- or variations could add more time! Howsomever, I usually do only five minutes in a high school finishing with "my" NORWEGIAN YOYO. If I pad with the Will Rogers "Snap" knot, it's another one to two minutes.

If I were still on the road, I would be playing with your "Pop Knot". I think it's a great piece.

PS::: I did John Booth's presentation of the Hydrostatic Glass in the '40s--messy but good. When De Yip Loo passed along the Stewart James "TIP-CEE bottle in '74, it went 'in' the following year. After a season's polishing, I started closing the high school program with it, I think your hydro. glass is excellent! --but, at my age, I'm not breaking in new material!

If Karrell had not shared his 3 ring routine, I would certainly be using your 4 ring routine! (Hersy Basham gave me your HAND WRITTEN routine, a few years before he left us. Thanks for what you are doing!!!!!

Thanks, Dick. That is awfully nice of you.
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1916 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
Pop:

I gave Dick your Mongolian Pop Knot booklet for his birthday last year and he LOVED THE ROUTINE!

If George Sands were still with us today....he would love it too, I'm sure!!!
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3701 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
I knew George very well. He did like my routine, and I was a big fan of his.
magic.99
View Profile
Regular user
181 Posts

Profile of magic.99
An awesome comedy routine for the Professors Nightmare can be found on Jeff Hobson's DVD's. He ends up stealing 4 watches during his routine! BUT BE CAREFUL with the "character" thing - my advice, do not copy Jeff's character because it most likely will not suit yours!! You will have to do your whole show in Jeff's character and not just this routine....Another very funny Professors Nightmare routine is from Cody Fisher - http://www.codyfisher.com Again, make sure that this fits your character. If it does not, take the time to rework these routines so they will fit your character, then they will be strong additions to your show.
I have seen Michael Finney perform his Professors Nightmare routine live for a room full of magicians - it still killed!
For those of you who are shying away from this trick because everyone is doing it - well, you would be surprised at how many are NOT peforming this. I perform this constanting, especially in walk-around situations and it totally blows people away.
I think that the Professors Nightmare is sort of like the Linking Rings - who cares who else is, or isn't doing it, just do it well and the audience will be with you every step of the way. Knowing the method to these two classics is merely the beginning...it does not mean the you 'know' how to perform the trick. There is so much more to learn...(see any number of the above posts!)
magic.99
View Profile
Regular user
181 Posts

Profile of magic.99
Caféinst - I am somewhat confused that you want to do comedy, but not talk much. However, with that said, you can be very very funny without ever saying a word. The only problem is that you have to be a master at acting and improv(silently!). I have seen street acts put on amazingly funny shows and never say a word for their entire act. It can be done, but is sure is not easy!
MagiUlysses
View Profile
Special user
Kansas City
504 Posts

Profile of MagiUlysses
Greetings and Salutations,

I'll have to admit to having Pop's routine, and I used it a few times, but I couldn't make it mine, so I let it go. However, this thread has given me pause to reconsider that decision.

That being said, I cannot tell you how many times I've employed the PN. I love that trick, and it was a staple of my act -- my into, actually, for street festivals, and lane and stage work at Ren Fairs for years. But I noticed lately I was losing some of my audience (which is bad if you're a street/lane performer), and I turned to the very first rope trick I ever learned: Colombini's ring-and-rope routine with the single ring -- the name escapes me at the moment.

I don't use all of his phases, and I've added one of my own, as well as adding a couple of bits of business to make it a solid six-minute (slightly longer if needed) routine with some audience interaction that get a reaction out of all proportion to the magic.

But that could simply be me, which is the point of this whole thread: finding a comedy rope routine. I believe you can make a magic routine as comical or dramatic as you want it to be, the presentation is the thing, as is the presenter. If you can find the funny in you, you can make a runny routine.

Good luck, and enjoy finding the funny.

Joe Zeman aka
The Mage Ulysses
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan's Beautiful Sunrise Side
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
Your point is proven quite well with this hilarious cups and balls routine by Yann Frisch, in which a single word is never spoken:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3H93EDygc5w

Quote:
On 2013-09-30 13:46, magic.99 wrote:
Caféinst - I am somewhat confused that you want to do comedy, but not talk much. However, with that said, you can be very very funny without ever saying a word. The only problem is that you have to be a master at acting and improv(silently!). I have seen street acts put on amazingly funny shows and never say a word for their entire act. It can be done, but is sure is not easy!
Mike Maturen
World of Wonder Entertainment
The Magic and Mayhem of Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

AUTHOR OF "A NEW DAWN--Weekly Wisdom From Everyday Life"

member: International Magician's Society
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan's Beautiful Sunrise Side
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
Your point is proven quite well with this hilarious cups and balls routine by Yann Frisch, in which a single word is never spoken:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3H93EDygc5w

Quote:
On 2013-09-30 13:46, magic.99 wrote:
Mike Maturen
World of Wonder Entertainment
The Magic and Mayhem of Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

AUTHOR OF "A NEW DAWN--Weekly Wisdom From Everyday Life"

member: International Magician's Society
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1916 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
In my personal opinion, Michael Finney's strongest and most entertaining rope bit is his "Lady Rope" Routine....and only Michael could pull it off....

Also, in my personal opinion, it's one of the funniest rope routines I have ever seen........one of Michael's "standards"....
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1916 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
Oh, by the way, magic.99....

You're right.....it wouldn't be wise for anybody to try and copy Jeff Hobson's style because, if they did, somebody would cart them off to an asylum as quickly as they could!

(Love ya Jeff!)