The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Knots and loops :: Help me with adults (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Mr. Woolery
View Profile
Inner circle
Fairbanks, AK
2150 Posts

Profile of Mr. Woolery
Mental epic? A book test? Those are potentially very strong mental effects. If you want to be a mentalist, try framing the whole show as a mental show. Five routines can fill 45 minutes very easily. In that case, I would suggest adding Par-Optic Vision, a blindfold routine, and perhaps the Invisible Deck, framed as a strong prediction effect. If that doesn't fill the time, add a memory display. I would not find 2 months long enough to prepare for a show cold, but different courses for different horses.

If you want to do straight magic, try a good rope routine (plenty here already for your consideration), cups and balls, card through handkerchief, color-changing silks, and spongeballs done with a volunteer on stage. Oh, and mismade flag really is a good one for adults, too.

Do you twist balloons? No, I'm not kidding about this. Hand every adult in the room a pre-inflated balloon and tell them this is the most useful trick you know for kids. It will bring a smile to a crying child's face almost every time. Teach them a simple 3-twist balloon dog. If you have lots of time, also teach them a second balloon twist that is almost the same, like a giraffe. I'm totally serious about this one. That's the part of your performance that will be talked about for weeks and people will come back to you to ask where to get the balloons and pump.

I started with kids and I have found that they are still a favorite audience for me. I rather miss the times when I used to be a school volunteer and practice a new trick for each week, with 5 different ages. Good times.

-Patrick
MRSharpe
View Profile
Special user
Never a dull moment with
940 Posts

Profile of MRSharpe
Lots of good tips here and it's almost show time for you, but I can add a couple of points. Mental material in a magic act will work, it won't make the audience think you are demonstrating psychic phenomena due to the context, so it will become mental magic. Also, no matter how you present, it Mental Epic looks like something only a magician would use. If you want to do a OA piece that appears as genuine there are petter methods. That being said, I would say go for the Mental Epic and book test. As to specific book tests, there are a lot out there it can take a lot of research to find one you like. Also, I often end my family show with DAve Hoy's Tossed Out Deck and it makes a great encore if you do any card effect during the body of the show. Go ahead and do most of your kid's show as well. Even the PB&J routine could work as long as it the routine is adapted for the adult audience.
Custom Props Designer and Fabricator as well as Performer from Indiana, USA