The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Knots and loops :: Best rope tricks (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
Magicman0323
View Profile
Special user
Just outside parts unknown.
713 Posts

Profile of Magicman0323
I'd like to change my original choice from Professor's Nightmare to WONDEROPE.

Smile
You'll wonder when I'm coming, you'll wonder even more when I'm gone. - Max Malini
R2
View Profile
Special user
935 Posts

Profile of R2
George Sands will never lecture again! He has a hard time getting around and requires the aid of a wheelchair as he tires quickly.

He can still walk for short lengths. His chair is outfitted with four bright green/yellow tennis balls on the feet quite appropriately.

Michael Finney as an aspiring magician learned much from Brother Sands here in Phoenix.

He is being cared for very well and still looks very magical just sitting there in his chair discerning every move and visiting with every lecturer.

I purchased a huge lot of his props and items he used to market.

He makes it to every Ring and Assembly meeting in Phoenix. So stop by and pay him a visit sometime soon as the Alzhiemer’s will set in more rapidly as the time progresses!

Regards and prayers for someone whom I consider one of the fathers of rope magic— George Sands.

ReyDeuce

Smile
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Right now, Rainbow Ropes are going well!

Patriotism is playing well right now, so Rainbow Ropes followed by a American Flag Blendo Effect plays well.

Smile
Dennis Michael
cardguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Queens, New York
1171 Posts

Profile of cardguy
My pick is "Three Ropes and a Baby". This routine is framed around the Professor’s Nightmare theme. If anyone ever wants to expand the Professor’s Nightmare trick then this routine is for you. It takes it to the extreme. After watching Richard Sanders perform it I knew that was THE rope routine that I wanted to learn. There are SIX visual phases and no gimmicks. All you need is your Professor’s Nightmare ropes. And it combines moves from Slydini and Colombini in one routine.

If anyone is interested you can see a demo at Magicsmith. It is available at most dealers and comes with a high quality instruction booklet and a set of Nightmare ropes. I’m sure all rope fans will enjoy it.

Smile
Frank G. a.k.a. Cardguy
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
Cataquet--

Check out Aldo Colombini’s routine, "(K)not a Loop" from his booklet "On the Ropes." It’s very similar to the routine you mention but with ungimmicked ropes, and part of the magic happens in the spectator’s hands.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Bernard Lightfingers
View Profile
New user
Indiana
65 Posts

Profile of Bernard Lightfingers
The simple rope through finger trick... so simple, yet an amazing effect... especially if you go on about how you almost broke someone’s finger one time... etc. Smile
There is no life without death...everything has a shadow
majorshaw
View Profile
New user
Randy Shaw
73 Posts

Profile of majorshaw
I think the greatest is non-gimmicked linking ropes. Linking three different ropes and none, none are gimmicked. Only my thoughts.
R.Shaw

AIMC with Silver Star
James Fortune
View Profile
Special user
UK
509 Posts

Profile of James Fortune
'Jumping Knot of Pakistan' and '3 Ropes and a Baby'.

But I'm seeing Aldo's lecture tomorrow night so I might change my mind after that.

Smile
Warmest regards
James

James Fortune MIMC
www.comedymagiciansurrey.co.uk
www.bestweddingmagician.co.uk
Martin_H
View Profile
Regular user
Austria
164 Posts

Profile of Martin_H
Aldo Colombini's ideas for ropes are great...
maybe you can give us some report, James?
Martin
life is real magic
Aedryan Methyus
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

Profile of Aedryan Methyus
In my opinion I have to say that Tabary by far is my favorite rope routine. I do an 8 1/2 minute routine with it to music which never fails to get eww's and aww's.

For close-up I have to go with El Ducco's ring and rope routine.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5965 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I love the "Jumping Knot of Pakistan"— gets an excellent reaction! I added some ideas to it to enable me to let my hands be seen empty at the end of the routine.

Luckily, I saw Daryl perform it, before learning it. I like that change in the routine where he dissolves the knot, instead of untying it, at the finale.
Ray Eldard
View Profile
New user
Phoenix, AZ
90 Posts

Profile of Ray Eldard
I love David Williamson's ring and rope routine, but Daryl's Rope Routine and Sawa's Supernatural Rope are the two I perform most.

Jim Pace also has a really nice cut and restored rope routine on his lecture video.

Also, I don't perform either, but Whit Haydn's "Mongolian Pop Knot" and Steve Bedwell's "In Over Your Head" are great comedy rope magic.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5447 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Back in the 70’s Jean Merlin (another great French magician!) put out a series of notes on rope effects. They were good then and are good now. One can see some of Merlin's thinking and handling in Tabary’s routine (or vice versa).

I especially liked his No-Gimmick Linking Rope routine and his Double Stretching Rope routine.

One quick routine that is very nice and can stand alone or lead into a longer routine is his Bluff Cut and Restored Rope. The effect is direct and simple. The magician shows two lengths of rope. One rope is about 3 feet long and the other is about 4 feet long. The magician ties the two lengths together and trims the knot. With a little tug, the knot pops off and the two ropes are now seen to be one. It is that simple and that magicial!
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Chintamani
View Profile
New user
UK
39 Posts

Profile of Chintamani
Where can I find George Sands's "Sandsational"? Is it a dealer item or in a book? Many thanks.
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4716 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
It's a booklet.

Either check with your local magic shop, or try H&R Books:
http://www.magicbookshop.com
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
John Smetana
View Profile
???? - 2009
499 Posts

Profile of John Smetana
My vote would be "Professor's Nightmare". I've done it for years with the Slydini opener and the Sam Schwartz close. Great routine and fun to do... easy to understand and hey it packs flat and plays big... what more could you ask?

Best thoughts,
John Smetana Smile
magic_kris
View Profile
Regular user
Louisville, KY
123 Posts

Profile of magic_kris
I really liked the rope through body that Bob Sheets performed on the Magic in the Streets special.

Anyone have any more info on that effect?

--Kris
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
It's an effect that he markets, and is available from many of the major dealers. I have it— it is simple, easy and excellent!
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Michael Chandler
View Profile
New user
United Kingdom
6 Posts

Profile of Michael Chandler
Mumblepeas mentions Jean Merlin's rope work. I saw Jean Merlin about 5 years ago and he was sensational. He did about a two hour lecture, on rope magic, and kept a large audience hanging on to his every word.

I have used a simple "Just Chance" effect, using just two pieces of rope and a paper bag. Easy to do and it has impact.

In the UK, and I suspect the USA, Canada, Autralia, New Zealand etc., there is really no cabaret but Jean is French where it still exists and he is very experienced. If you have the opportunity you should try to see him.

Oh I suppose I am a fan of the Professor's Nightmare. I do it, for children, as three brothers: Shorty, Norm and Lofty— you can guess the rest!
Tony Chapparo
View Profile
Special user
Albuquerque, NM
704 Posts

Profile of Tony Chapparo
I just got John Zander's "Loose Ends".

This is a very nice, well thought out routine!

I think I will put it in my rotation and alternate it with Proff's Nightmare.
Tony Chapparo