The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Knots and loops :: Best rope tricks (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
leonard
View Profile
Regular user
North Carolina
148 Posts

Profile of leonard
Has anyone tried Tarbell's Sympathetic Ropes (Tarbell #7, Lesson 86)? I am working on a routine with this addressing peer pressure. Just wondering what response to expect.
Thanks,
Leonard
WVMAGIC
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of WVMAGIC
I enjoy Colombini's Rope and Ring routine. Just learning the Vernon knot that he uses in that routine justifies the price. I also enjoy the Professor's Nightmare. I use it as a stretching rope routine for children. It gives me a chance to have a lot of fun with the kids.
Vibono Magic
View Profile
Special user
Växjö,Sweden
647 Posts

Profile of Vibono Magic
The Best routine is by far the Tabary routine but the best single trick is the cut and restored rope.

Vibon Magic
Sweden
Vibono Mirage
Magic entertainer and Balloon artist
rmoraleta
View Profile
Special user
Philippines
767 Posts

Profile of rmoraleta
I'm currently performing a version of Aldo's Still Ringing, but would like to know as to which Stars of Magic video Eric DeCamps Ring and Rope routine belong.
respho
View Profile
New user
Hong Kong
74 Posts

Profile of respho
I haven't seen many rope routines, but I think Tabary's routine definitely stands among the best.
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6013 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
My vote goes for best comedy routine with a rope... The Billy Bishop Rope Tie...

He performed this all his life on the finest night club stages of the USA. Including Billy Roses Diamond Horseshoe and the Ed Sullivan show, the Mike Dougles show and about twice a year for about 50 years on WGN - Bozo Circus...

It was a hit with every audience... And won him the last Houdini Award at the PCAM convention awarded by Mrs. Houdini. This effect also won him the Sweepstakes trophy for showmanship and general excelance at the PCAM in Reno NV.

I have video of my Father doing this effect at my web site.
Glenn Bishop Cardician

Producer of the DVD Punch Deal Pro

Publisher of Glenn Bishop's Ace Cutting And Block Transfer Triumphs
bjiamin
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of bjiamin
I will say Cut and Restore as performed by DC on his tv specials.
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
Quote:
On 2004-10-03 02:45, bjiamin wrote:

Do you mean the one from Orient Express?

--The one with the spectator following along with scissors that don't work?
RonCalhoun
View Profile
Special user
Independence, KY USA
599 Posts

Profile of RonCalhoun
IN my anything BUT humble opinion,

Daryl's Rope Routine
genemccarthy
View Profile
New user
82 Posts

Profile of genemccarthy
Ray Banks,

The effect that Finney does is the Panama Rope Trick. But the routine is pure Finney.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
My votes are for Daryl's "acrobatic knot", Pavel's "super walking knot", "full circle", "fiber optics", and the best of them all is Dennis Loomis's "knot routine plus", because Dennis's routine is the kind of rope magic that highlights the ungimmicked skill of the magician performing magic right before your eyes.
NY OPINION
Al Angello
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
As long as this thread has been ressurected..

I agree with Glenn, his dad's presentation of a rope escape was just great. You can find the method in the new Enc. of Rope Tricks, but you need to see the video to see how a single effect(a simple escape) was turned into a very entertaining performance.

Whit's Mongolian Pop Knot, is a great example of routining of the classic cut & restore and the PN.

I also enjoy the Panama Rope trick, is there a video/description of what Finney does with it?

John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
If John voted for the Panama rope trick I want to see it too.
Al Angello
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
I'm not sure others will like the Panama Rope trick since the magic happens only at the end of a relatively long series of cutting(3) and knot tieing(3). Yet for me, with the opportunity to match it up with some relevant patter, and my slight modification to allow the 3 knots to all visually pop-off at the end, I've enjoyed doing it.

So the above mentioned performance sounded interesting. It is taught in Tarbell V2 if any are interested. A highly modified version is also in the new Enc of Rope Tricks (p115). I first saw it in H Baron's Close-Up Magic for Beginners by the name Hamburg Rope trick. Check it out Smile

John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
I agree with John Long, the Panama Rope trick has been one of my favorites for years. The Wiz Kids DVD (on my site) shows the trick being performed as Professor Ted Collins performed it himself (we both learned from the inventor!) using his 4 to 1 rope beginning (described in detail under the topic "False Counts" in Wizards' Journal #7) and his handling of the center cut is the cleanest that I know; you swear the rope is cut in the center, even watching up close.

A GOOD presentation of Professor's Nightmare comes in second, and I'm rather partial to Juan Pablo's "Roped" as a mean third.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
Quote:
On 2006-11-15 19:29, Spellbinder wrote:
..and his handling of the center cut is the cleanest that I know; you swear the rope is cut in the center, even watching up close.

Agreed. It was very deceptive.
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On 2004-10-03 02:45, bjiamin wrote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The rope routine David Copperfield performed on the Orient Express was based on my linking ring routine, "Whit Haydn's Comedy Four Ring Routine."

The idea was to have a "You do as I do" with cutting the ropes with a spectator, but that the spectator would use scissors that don't work, and everytime the magician turns around to check, it seems as if the spectator is keeping up with him, since his rope is "back together."

It was a very clever use of the premise, and Copperfield mentioned me in the credits of the show.

For those who have not seen my Mongolian Pop Knot routine, it can be viewed here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIb0aph2RAM
hctlam
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of hctlam
My vote goes to "Jumping Knot of Pakistan", visible effects and my audiences just love this!
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
The good people of Pakistan have forced Daryl to change the name of his trick to Daryl's "acrobatic knot". The only reason why I'm bringing this up is, because that is what you will have to look for if you want to buy it.
Al Angello
Agent86
View Profile
Regular user
152 Posts

Profile of Agent86
I'd have to say Whit Hayden has a fantastic rope routine. I would also say this about Michael Finney, and of course Richard Sanders' Fiber Optics. All three very funny, unique and a joy to watch.