The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Boxes, tubes & bags :: Al Baker threaded pair of rings, what thread? (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
ChrisPayne
View Profile
Loyal user
UK
241 Posts

Profile of ChrisPayne
This a pretty specific and esoteric enquiry! I have settled on a 8 ring routine that includes the Al Baker threaded pair. I'm having trouble getting a thread that is just right. 2lb breaking strength cotton is OK but I would like a little stronger. Trouble is that stronger threads tend to be polyester which doesn't seem to knot so securely. Any bulletproof experience out there?
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
I used to have 999 posts, now I have
1623 Posts

Profile of JNeal
I also employ a threaded pair of two singles ala Al Baker. I use cheap commonly available thread , which typically is cotton covered polyester thread. first I tie a square knot and then another half hitch (overhand knot) to make it completely secure. I've broken the thread accidentally, but never has the knot come undone.

Around here, we specialize in esoterica!
visit me @ JNealShow.com
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9998 Posts

Profile of funsway
I got a spool of grey "coat thread" from my grandmother about sixty-five years ago that has worked fine for both knot and controlled break.
I don't know how to test the strength or material. Probably pure cotton or linen.

I have silk thread that definitely will NOT work for knots. I have used soft wire separated from picture-hanging cable.
With my large brass rings I have used dental floss soaked in coffee.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
ChrisPayne
View Profile
Loyal user
UK
241 Posts

Profile of ChrisPayne
Two great replies, Funsway is Coat thread the brand (which I see does exist), or a type?
Jonathan, cotton covered polyester is a new concept for me, but clearly a "thing", the go-to range of threads in Europe are Gutermann- but I will track some down (their range probably includes it) sounds the perfect combination of grip and strength.
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
I used to have 999 posts, now I have
1623 Posts

Profile of JNeal
I have also used the small spools of Gutermann.... I think k it is 100% polyester.
visit me @ JNealShow.com
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9998 Posts

Profile of funsway
Coat thread is thicker than normal sewing thread. I think some are braided rather than twisted.
Methinks it is for sewing on buttons rather than joining the material.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
ChrisPayne
View Profile
Loyal user
UK
241 Posts

Profile of ChrisPayne
Levent Cimkentli produced a definitive, excellent, 4 DVD set on the Linking Rings, he kindly just gave me an additional tip on tying the loops. Tie the first loop with a couple of square knots then take the loose ends around again to tie a another loop in the same manner. Repeat with the second loop, this means each loop has two rings, so if one breaks the other should hold.
This I must try....
Mac_Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
Miami, FL
1429 Posts

Profile of Mac_Stone
Quote:
On Jul 11, 2023, ChrisPayne wrote:
Levent Cimkentli produced a definitive, excellent, 4 DVD set on the Linking Rings

It's also written up in the stellar Roy Benson by Starlight.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7669 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Try a bonded Nylon thread. It is pretty strong but can be broken by hand. I seem to recall the size as being L22. I will have to check.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.