The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Boxes, tubes & bags :: Tommy Wonder's Zombie System (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Magique Hands
View Profile
Loyal user
Lincoln, NE.
247 Posts

Profile of Magique Hands
Does anyone here at the Café have and/or use Tommy Wonder's Zombie System? I've been reading some of my older MAGIC and GENII magazines, and I see many advertisements for his system. It was about to be released at the time of printing.

Thanks,

- - Troy
"If you go around sprinkling Woofle Dust on everything... people will think 'My... What an odd character." www.magicmafia.com
omnibozo
View Profile
Regular user
Boulder, CO
151 Posts

Profile of omnibozo
I don't use one myself, but a close associate does. This system works wonderfully if you put in the necessary work. Part of the challenge is learning to handle it well. You'll need to build some muscles that haven't been used before. Not that the system requires strength, but does require some getting used to. The places in the routine where the hands hold perfectly still and the ball rises are priceless! Also, there is no gimmick to get rid of at the end. Wonderful illusion.
***Kev***
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of ***Kev***
Where can this be purchased?
Not the ball, but the instructions for that routine?
This 'Tommy Wonder's Zombie System' sounds excellent!
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5446 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Well, if you don’t want the props and only want to have the instructions (the secret!) then you can go to volume 2 of “The Books of Wonder” (page 260). If you are a skillful metal worker you can even make your own. Jos explains it all from construction to performing there.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
***Kev***
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of ***Kev***
Well where can the Ball and instructions be purchased?
Smile
the Sponge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
2781 Posts

Profile of the Sponge
Quote:
On 2002-08-08 18:57, mumblepeas wrote:
Well, if you don’t want the props and only want to have the instructions (the secret!) then you can go to volume 2 of “The Books of Wonder” (page 260).

From what I understood, 100% of the secret was not revealed in his book. But I'm sure enough is revealed to satisfy the curious.
Jeff Dial
View Profile
Special user
Kent, WA
533 Posts

Profile of Jeff Dial
Just in case anyone follows Mumblepeas advice, but has a qualified metalworker make the gaff -- Be very very clear as to what you need.

I had someone make one up for me and it was "built to last". (Read: It weighed a ton.) Smile
"Think our brains must be too highly trained, Majikthise" HHGG
Kendrix
View Profile
Loyal user
232 Posts

Profile of Kendrix
The Levitiation System is no longer for sale. It was limited to 500 units I believe. It is truly great.
guido
View Profile
Regular user
Sweden
152 Posts

Profile of guido
Check with:
info@tommywonder.nl
It retailed for about $360.00 just three months ago.
Steven Steele
View Profile
Chief of Staff
1867 Posts

Profile of Steven Steele
I talked to Tommy about 6 weeks ago and he told me that he was in the process of manufacturing some more. He was going to let me know when they were ready. The price he quoted was 460 Eurodollars. I don't know if that is a firm price or subject to revision once he gets the finished products.

To date I've heard nothing else.

Steven
Coram Deo
guido
View Profile
Regular user
Sweden
152 Posts

Profile of guido
Hi Steven,
I also had a phone conversation with him about three months ago. At the time, they sold for $360.00.
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
How is the effect(s) this system creates different from my normal zombie? I want to get a sense of what the audience will experience to help me decide if I would like to pursue this further. Thank you!
Jim in Los Angeles
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
Victor Brisbin
View Profile
Elite user
Washington, DC / NOVA
432 Posts

Profile of Victor Brisbin
Jim, this construction allows for additional movement of the ball/object. In answer to earlier questions about the availability of the props, check with Stevens Magic Emporium. They listed it in their catalogs within the past couple of years.

Mr. Wonder does not use the zombie "ball" in his unique act, but instead causes a birdcage to float using his advanced application of the principle. Smile
"It is better to practice a little than talk a lot." - Muso Kokushi
RiserMagic
View Profile
Veteran user
361 Posts

Profile of RiserMagic
FYI - the full secret of the Tommy Wonder Levitation System is not explained in his two volume set of books. Part of the principle is there; but not what really makes his system complete. It is a clever system which allows moves not possible with a standard Zombie.
Jim
kingsnqueens
View Profile
New user
Oklahoma
77 Posts

Profile of kingsnqueens
Sometimes Tommy's Ball shows up on eBay, and when it does it brings top dollar.

I haven't seen Losander's video on Zombie, But I own his two levitation videos. Where you can see a little bit of Losander's Zombie.

I wonder if someone who has seen Tommy's Zombie, and Losander's. Would like to share their thoughts on them?

I've enjoyed reading many of your comments. Thanks! .......... Manyfingers
Dan LeFay
View Profile
Inner circle
Holland
1371 Posts

Profile of Dan LeFay
I know a dealer who still has one for sale. If you're interested, PM me and I'll give you an address. (It's in Holland though)
"Things need not have happened to be true.
Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths,
that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes,
and forgot."
Neil Gaiman
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2334 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Quote:
On 2003-02-04 02:43, kingsnqueens wrote:

I wonder if someone who has seen Tommy's Zombie, and Losander's. Would like to share their thoughts on them?

My .02 based on playing around with different methods:

I have Tommy Wonder's Levitation system and also have Losander's Zombie video. I made Losander's modified Zombie gimmick.

Both are great variations on the original Zombie. (based on the original by Joe Karson)

If you have the acting/pantomime skills to put across the Zombie effect to begin with then you will probably not notice much of a difference in the actual floatation effect between the Wonder system and simply using Losander's modified gimmick.

The great advantage of the Wonder system is that you are able to start and end "clean" with no gimmick to be concealed behind your arm or within the foulard. (Tim Wright has a great method for picking up and ditching the gimmick shown on his Zombie video which also allows you to start and end clean using a standard zombie gimmick.)

I started working with Losander's version of the gimmick after I needed to add a different routine to a seasonal show, but did not want to go to the expense of having a second Wonder-style set up made for the object I was using for one time only.

Instead I used the Losander gimmick. Watching a video tape of myself doing it, I realized that there is really very little difference between the two systems when it comes to the flotation effect. 95% of it is all in the acting. YOU must be convinced that this thing is floating and treat it thus, then the audience will believe it is floating.

If you can afford the Wonder system, I can recommend it highly. If you can't afford it then spend the $25.00 for Losander's Zombie video and study the moves he recommends, to really sell the idea that the thing is floating. His modified gimmick works great.

I would also recommend the Tim Wright Zombie video and the Vol. 3 of McBride's Stage Magic video series. There are good ideas in all of these.

Of course, the best of Tommy Wonder and Losander is seen in the applications of the mechanical plus acting principles seen in Losander's Floating Table. I would love to get one of those Losander Floating Table units, but I just can't afford the expense right now.

Go to the Hocus Pocus web site, look up Losander's Floating Table and download the clips of Losander doing the Floating Table to see what I mean.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Stevens Magic Emporium told me they do not sell them any more. But Hank Lee's does sell them.
Steven Steele
View Profile
Chief of Staff
1867 Posts

Profile of Steven Steele
"But Hank Lee's does sell them."

I checked their web site and it is not listed. You will have to call to see if they have them, but my guess is they don't as Hank has been aware that I've been looking for it for a year or so.

Steven
Coram Deo
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I did not see it listed on Hank Lee's web site either. When I called him, he told me he does sell them.

Abracadabra,

Dynamike