The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Boxes, tubes & bags :: Replacement gimmick for prayer vase (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
miky
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of miky
Does anyone know where I can get small r***** b**** as replacements for the gimmick in the standard prayer vase (or genii in a bottle) shown here -- http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/1011. I have tried making them out of tin foil or paper as well as carving them from erasers, etc. -- but they don't work as well (don't reliably hold the rope, make too much noise, etc.) I use this effect in kid shows, but, no matter how careful I am, I often end up losing the gimmick and have to buy another vase. I've looked for some in toy shops and dollar stores but can't find any small enough.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I saw these recommended recently. I have not tried them, but they are cheap enough to be worth experimenting.

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/142284/......od7jMDbg
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
The rope should stiff and firm, not like soft magicians rope. The original Prayer Vase came with close line rope. Back then, 1960's, it was very stiff and even had white paint on it to make it last longer.

The original Adams glass model, come with just a cork. You might be able to find them at fishing supply stores or in the specialty connectors at Hardware Stores like Do It Best.
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3667 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
My friend Jim Jayes says that you can use modeling balloons to make the size you need.

I think he rolled it like a yarn ball (pulling as he went to keep it tight), cut it to about the right size and then put the ball into the tip of the balloon, tied it off and pulled the excess back over the ball.

Let us know if it works.

-Mary Mowder
Dan Ford
View Profile
Special user
Illinois
761 Posts

Profile of Dan Ford
I use a cork ball made from a cork bigger than the size of the neck. Use medium sandpaper to shape the ball after using a sharp razor blade to trim it to approximate size. It is light and fairly silent.
funsway
View Profile
Eternal Order
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
10001 Posts

Profile of funsway
Golf balls used to have a small rubber ball in the center if you enjoy the mess cutting it out.

No idea what is in their these days.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3434 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
Quote:
On Aug 10, 2015, funsway wrote:
Golf balls used to have a small rubber ball in the center if you enjoy the mess cutting it out.

No idea what is in their these days.

Just a bigger ball!
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
oso2you
View Profile
Regular user
Oregon
128 Posts

Profile of oso2you
Get a large art gum eraser and cut/sand to size.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5965 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I do a Kioma Tubes routine. The effect is similar to the Prayer Vase, except it uses audience participation to a larger extent. The gimmick is a 1/2 inch sponge ball. Be sure to store it such that it will fully expand, so that it will work, consistently.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On Aug 23, 2015, Alan Munro wrote:
I do a Kioma Tubes routine. The effect is similar to the Prayer Vase, except it uses audience participation to a larger extent. The gimmick is a 1/2 inch sponge ball. Be sure to store it such that it will fully expand, so that it will work, consistently.

That reminds me of a spider and rope trick that Abbott's used to sell. I have one here somewhere.
~michael baker
The Magic Company