The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Boxes, tubes & bags :: Dream Bag revelation (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
robwar0100
View Profile
Inner circle
Buy me some newspapers.Purchase for me 1 Gazette and
1747 Posts

Profile of robwar0100
I had an odd request this week. A man I know said he had a niece and a nephew from Norway visiting him, and he wanted to help fill some time with me performing a magic show for them.

I told the guy I could do it, but we never talked price. While the kids were fluent in English, I was not sure, so I wanted to do more visual things. I decided why not pull out the Dream Bag. I have owned it for years, but I have performed it relatively few times. It just does not fit what I do with my shows, though the first time I saw it I absolutely loved it.

Because I had not performed it for years, I asked my friend about how he does it. He talked about including silks and pulling out a blue silk before pulling out the blue box.

As we talked about it, an idea came to mind: What if I were to pack my whole show into the Dream Bag, work out of it and when it came time to perform it (I was using it as a closer), I would show the box empty as if to say the magic is over. Then, the music started ...

I came up with a 30-minute show. Normally, I do a 40-45 minute act, but I decided to scale this back a little bit. I always open with a napkin rose and talk about how I love magic with ordinary objects (though this set was full of gimmicks). I use this as an introduction to the show, and I do not consider it part of the "magic" portion of the show. I am a big fan of Dan Harlan's Triple Trilogy, and I use it to routine my shows. This was what I performed:

1. Disappearing Card Box
2. Sponge Balls
3. No-Tear Newspaper

4. Professor's Nightmare w/some Fiber Optics stuff
5. Ring on Rope (my version using Mark Leveridge's structure and story)
6. Aldo Colombini Cut and Restored Rope (very quick)

7. Six Card Repeat
8. Sid Lorraine/Devin Knight Peking Revelation (using one card and getting the prediction wrong four times, more of a gag than magic)
9. Dream Bag

There were the two kids and three adults. Everyone loved it. I liked being able to work out of the bag. So, this is going to be my birthday show.

As for the payment, when I was leaving, the man put some cash in my hand and said, "I hope this covers it." It was twice the amount I was going to charge him. I said indeed, it did.

Have any of you worked an entire show out of a Dream Bag. If so, would love to hear what you do.

Bobby
"My definition of chance is my hands on the wheel," Greg Long.
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7024 Posts

Profile of bowers
No I haven't but I usally include it in my b-day shows.
Todd
Mark Boody Illusionist
View Profile
Inner circle
1369 Posts

Profile of Mark Boody Illusionist
I also have not, but I use it in my silk opener for my gospel presentation.

Mark
Only he who can see the invisible can do the impossible. Frank L. Gaines
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3706 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
I have not, but I love the way you routined your show.