The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Boxes, tubes & bags :: 3 Fly (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Red Neck Magician
View Profile
Regular user
Down Yonder
190 Posts

Profile of Red Neck Magician
I am looking at adding a 3 Fly rountine to my small stage stand up act. I am planning on using morgan dollars for the coins. I would like to hear everybody thoughts an opinions on how this effect would work for stand up. Thanks RNM
MagicBrain
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of MagicBrain
I have looked into Daryl ''3 Fly III'' routine and it is set for a small stage (or in close-up situation) but even though, I believe it is still difficult to follow because we don't see the coins enough if the audience is too far away. My two cents is that the coins needs to be reflecting the light in order for the audience to follow. I don't perform this routine, it is just what I think after seeing 'live' two great magicians performing a version of 3 Fly in a lecture tour (Daryl and Will Houstoun). Their peformance were great, but there was a camera and a big screen so we could follow along.

Thanks.
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7024 Posts

Profile of bowers
I do a triple spellbound routein using
morgen dollar indian rupee and a dollar size chinese coin.
I usally do this at my parlor and kids shows.
I don't think it would play very well at stage distance.
todd
Red Neck Magician
View Profile
Regular user
Down Yonder
190 Posts

Profile of Red Neck Magician
Thanks for all of the help. I guess instead of saying stage say small plat form in front of 100 people or less. RNM
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I believe a 100 people is stretching it, more like 40 or less. You have to remember, because the way the coins are held in a fan, from not to far any detail will be lost without strong lighting. Thus even if you say I have 3 coins, it will look like just a blur of silver. The vanish is so quick, they will not see the fan of coins has gotten smaller.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5447 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Rather than use coins you could consider using colored Madri Gras tokens. Get three different colors and perform Lee Asher’s “Three Styling” routine. No gimmicks needed. Or get a set of the three fly poker chips in three different colors.

The contrasting colors help a good size audience appreciate what is happening. It takes the more or less small venue/close-up trick and helps it be seen in a moderate size venue, say up to maybe 150 folks.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
sniper1
View Profile
Veteran user
malta eu
343 Posts

Profile of sniper1
How about using small mirrors or poker chips covered with mylar, if you have a spotlight on you will help , plus you might need to alter the handling so you can display the coins held between the fingers like a coin roll , so you can show their individuality
THE MOST CRAZY MAGICIAN ON THE MALTESE ISLANDS