The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Boxes, tubes & bags :: Rising ball and tube mystery (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
uknavynigel
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of uknavynigel
Has anyone got this effect? I need help.
I showed it to my 6 year old daughter, and she worked it out straight away, due to my poor performance! I need help with the move you do before you hand the tube and ball for inspection. If you have any ideas, please pm me. Thanks.
martyk
View Profile
Loyal user
275 Posts

Profile of martyk
Wow, isn't that discouraging? I'll follow posts to see the answer to this, as I could use it too.
Marty K
Paul Chosse
View Profile
V.I.P.
1955 - 2010
2389 Posts

Profile of Paul Chosse
Hold the tube between the forefinger and thumb of your left hand. Wave the right hand in front of the tube, and allow the ball to fall inside the tube until it is halfway down. Allow the spectator to look down into the tube, and see the ball is really inside. Wave your right hand in front of the tube again as you push the gizmo up, bringing the ball to the top of the tube again. As it reaches the top of the tube, cop the outer tube in a thumb palm with the right hand, as you continue to wave your right hand up and down in front of the tube.

This should look like you are encouraging the ball to rise by sort of moving the right hand in an upward motion. Wave a couple more times after the steal, and as you do that, move the right hand further from the tube. Finally, stop the movements of the right hand, and move the left hand with the tube toward the spectator to allow them to take it and the ball for examination.

This is not the greatest description in the world, but you should be able to work it out from this. I sold hundreds of these just as described when working in a magic shop, and was never caught copping the gaff.

Best, PSC

PS: There are several versions of this that are different from the cheapie version at the magic shops. Stephen Minch had one where the tube was solid at the end, and there was one by Charlie Kalish where the gizmo locked so you didn't have to steal anything.
"You can't steal a gift..." Dizzy Gillespie
uknavynigel
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of uknavynigel
Thanks for the great description, but the problem I have is hiding the secret movement of @@RE@ing the gaff back in place, before handing the prop out for inspection!
magic 12376
View Profile
Regular user
Wilkes-Barre Pa
116 Posts

Profile of magic 12376
In Harry Lorayne's Apocalypse Vol. 18, no. 5, a one - man issue by Joe Rindfleisch, you will find the best routine ever published for the ball and tube. The other material is just as good. I myself had always hated the ball and tube, but after meeting Joe and seeing his handling I pulled mine out of retirement.

Ronald R. Romiski
WizzBang
View Profile
Regular user
125 Posts

Profile of WizzBang
I have always thought this a difficult trick to do, there is a ball and tube booklet available that may help. The real trick is getting the tube into the spectators hand without getting caught with the other "item".
I do it by tipping the hand over 180 degrees and dropping the ball into their hand followed quickly by the tube. The misdirection of the ball landing in the hand is enough. I then sleeve the rest.