The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Boxes, tubes & bags :: Linking Rings - Figures (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
SenseiStrange
View Profile
Veteran user
The Dead God's Dreams
345 Posts

Profile of SenseiStrange
In another thread Whit Haydn wrote,

"The closer the effect is to the stripped down basics, the stronger I think it is. I have not been too impressed by the use of figures. They are simply show-off flourishes that are asking for applause--juggling. If used, they should be really quick and not detract too much from the magic. Most audiences find them as boring as Chinese ribbon dancing."

No sir, I disagree.

I submit that Whit's approach to the linking rings is great. it is a very funny routine. However I do feel where the routine gains in humor, it looses in the mystery entertainment factor. It is more funny, and less magic.

The first two ring version I saw was Cellini's. I think it qualifies as a nice piece of magical entertainment. The magic is more of the focus than humor. A different approach. I was sitting in row 3, and I was fooled. As Whit suggested, this is a stripped down approach. 2 rings link...2 rings unlink. Repeat.

Then I saw McBride's version. It still blows me away but the first time I saw it I was speechless. It is a composition. It is a building symphony. The figures are not mere jugglery. They are wizardry. For me they have always been a ballet of the impossible. Jeff represents the potential of the figures. They are strong entertainment friends.

Now many linking rings entertainers do the figures boring like Whit said. "Here is Mickey Mouse, here is the Olympics" Ouch.

I feel it comes down to this...the figures are a tool. Some magicians can make it work, and they become miracles. Some can take the figures and make a painful performance. On the flip side this can be said for any effect, any routine, or any theatrical element a magi uses. The magician can make miracle, but alas many of us just ruin it.

My old version...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2coc6p5K0g

Walk In Peace,

Sensei Strange
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I agree with the use of a few figures. I patterned my way after Jay Marshall's routine. After all it was good enough to get him on the Ed Sullivan TV show more than a dozen times. It got him around the world.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Sensei, I love your routine, but I wish you would slow down the "transitions" just a tad...
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Lots of work there Sensei... Almost too much, but well done.
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1916 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
Sensei:

WOW! I am BLOWN AWAY!

Your technical work and the routine is absolutely stunning.

In my opinion, you're a "Natural" for a Lecturer spot for a Magician's Convention.

Also, in my opinion, many magicians who see you do your ring routine would buy your lecture notes, pamphlet, DVD or booklet, just for the chance to have documentation of the moves that you do.

A TON of work went into your MASTERFUL routine!

Congratulations on developing a thing of beauty!
SenseiStrange
View Profile
Veteran user
The Dead God's Dreams
345 Posts

Profile of SenseiStrange
Clinton,

Every time I perform this it is different. Here is a slower version like you requested. I just don't like the filming as much.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lo0rs0fATKM

Pete, your memory is slipping my friend! We have discussed this film several times in the past few years. Losing memory is great though. You can hide your own Easter eggs!

Rainbo guy....I appreciate the compliment. Current incarnations of my rings are even neater, but this is the best filmed version I have. I hope to lecture some day beyond the local clubs. Tis' a dream yet unfulfilled. Many thanks Rainboguy, artistic satisfaction has been met from your words alone.

But...

I do not wish to derail the thread from the topic of how cool figures are. They are fascinating, fun and entertaining. Keep playing with them ring workers, there are more patterns yet undiscovered.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I still haven't found all my Easter Eggs. Smile
Mike Taylor
View Profile
New user
Galion, Ohio & Oak Island, NC
10 Posts

Profile of Mike Taylor
I enjoyed your Linking Ring Routine!
Mark Boody Illusionist
View Profile
Inner circle
1369 Posts

Profile of Mark Boody Illusionist
Great routine, it flowed very smoothly, the figures are a great touch, but not over done. I really enjoy a linking ring routine set to music. it takes it from being a trick to being a piece of artwork.
Well done
Mark
Only he who can see the invisible can do the impossible. Frank L. Gaines
Prof. Alexander
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Profile of Prof. Alexander
Dear Sensei
Really loved your routine – very magical and artistic. I also agree with your comments on Whit's routine. Just goes to show there are many ways to approach a routine. What works for one doesn't always work (or appeal) to another.
Keep up the great work!
I met this chap at the Olympics. I said to him, "Excuse me but are you a pole vaulter?" he replied "No, I'm German, but how did you know my name was Walter?"
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9500 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
I do what the audience likes. The audience always applauds when they see figures, so I make figures.
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
Not a fan of figures, myself, except as a gag. That's the only way I use them. Like many things, it boils down to personal preference. What suits me may not suit you and vice versa.

However, I totally disagree with Strange's statement: "...where the routine gains in humor, it looses in the mystery entertainment factor. It is more funny, and less magic." I have seen Whit perform this live a number of times. And while people laugh and the routine is funny, they also gasp in amazement--over and over and over. It is, indeed, a VERY magical routine. I would say it isn't an "elegant" routine. Richard Ross had a beautifully elegant routine and it was also very magical. But that doesn't mean that routines like Whit's or Aldo Colombini's, for example, aren't magical, just because they are flowing and elegant. To say that must be the case is to say that guys like Schulien, Fechter, Tullock, Del Ray, even Goshman must not be magical.

I've seen Jeff McBride's routine, too. Flowing, tightly choreographed, elegant--yes. But no more magical than Whit's in my opinion, and I find myself being far more entertained by Whit's. McBride's style just doesn't particularly appeal to me.

Again, it comes down to personal preference.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
I don't do figures either. I have my own 8 ring routine.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
Hansel
View Profile
Inner circle
Puerto Rico
2492 Posts

Profile of Hansel
Good Job Sensei!
Follow Me...
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Hansels-Comedy-and-Magic-Show-929625643774678/
Youtube: HanselSP
Twitter: @HanselSP
Instagram: HanselSP