The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Boxes, tubes & bags :: Dean's box thoughts (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Many have asked "what else can you do with Dean's Box?"

I have done Stewart James' Astro Ball, with no modification to the box. Also a version of the Invisible Deck (placing deck into box and having the usual routine and when taken out of box the thought of card is reversed).

Another idea, use the loop method to cut one of the ropes in two. Tie together using the knot that pops off. Don't pop off visibly. Put thru the curtains, lift door and they see the knot. Close door. Grip ends of the rope and pull it out of box on one side ... and there is no knot on it. Open door and you see the knot laying in the box.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
See what genius a little thought and experimenting can produce?
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
Marc DeSouza has a DVD set forthcoming that includes his Dean's Box routine. It's like 7 or 8 phases.
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5171 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Thanks for the heads-up Pepka. Finally! Someone putting out some additional routines for this modern classic effect. I love my Dean's Box, but alas, I am not creative enough to go beyond the published routines. It will be nice to have some additional inspiration.

Any date for Mr. DeSouza's DVD release?
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
magicbob116
View Profile
Inner circle
1523 Posts

Profile of magicbob116
Scott Alexander's Midnight Show DVD includes a routine for Dean's Box.
B. Robert Pulver

The "I Hate Card Tricks!" Book of Card Tricks Vol. 1, 2, and 3
Kards for Kids
Sticky Situations
Sleightly Wacky
magicbob116@yahoo.com
Marc DeSouza
View Profile
V.I.P.
Wayne, PA
162 Posts

Profile of Marc DeSouza
Hi Guys,

The final editing on my DVD set is being completed now and it is projected for release just after Labor Day. My Dean's Box routine is s fully scripted presentation that runs about 11 and a half minutes. Beyond the original phases are three additional effects with other objects.

Marc
Papasmurf
View Profile
Special user
NW Ont Canada
540 Posts

Profile of Papasmurf
Thanks Marc,

I will definatley want to get this one.

Eric
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
Other phases I've toyed with and sometimes used.

A knot unties itself in the confines of the box -- a varient on the old sliding knot effect.

Two ropes link themselves -- using the technique of the ungimicked linking ropes http://www.stevensmagic.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=4394

A miniature set of spirit slates that reveal a predicition.

All of the dice in a small box change to a freely rolled number on a seventh die (the old Problema Trick http://www.ronjo.com/magic/VM-661PR.html)

A 50 cent piece ends up inside a bottle

I'm working on getting either a small violin to play, a spirit bell to ring or a tamborine to rattle
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
You'll find plans for the spirit bell ( a tiny hand bell), as well as a candle that lights itself in my "Sefalaljia Revisited" routine (Bell Book and Candle) in The Wizards' Journal #10 on my site. The book referred to is a pair of miniature slates bound together like a book. All the effects will work in a Dean's Box as well as in a Dollar Store plastic crate.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I like the slate idea. I have a beauty of a Ken Brooke set with the flap a poker size card.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
jolyonjenkins
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
1183 Posts

Profile of jolyonjenkins
The classic Sefalaljia (with the ring, rope, safety pin etc) won't work in a Dean's Box. Not wide enough.
Jolyon Jenkins
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2009-07-20 13:35, rjenkins wrote:
The classic Sefalaljia (with the ring, rope, safety pin etc) won't work in a Dean's Box. Not wide enough.

Yes it will. When I rebuilt my Dean's box to make it look more Victorian for the faux seance routine I wished to perform with it I built this feature into it.
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
If the classic effect with the ring and rope and safety pin works in a tiny plastic Dollar Store crate (and it does...with modifications), it should work in a Dean's Box.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

jolyonjenkins
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
1183 Posts

Profile of jolyonjenkins
Well I haven't got a Dean's Box, I've got a Sefalaljia box which I made to Stewart James' measurements. I tried to make a smaller one but discovered that you need to make it as long as James says, in order for the rope to clear the ring before the ring leaves the box. A Deans Box just doesn't have enough space, which is presumably why Dean Dill uses the method he does. What are the dimensions of your tiny crate? I seem to remember it being quite big from your manuscript.
Jolyon Jenkins
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Plastic Crate: 7" x 8.5" x 6"

Dean's Box: 7" x 7" x 7"
Professor Spellbinder

jolyonjenkins
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
1183 Posts

Profile of jolyonjenkins
Thanks - I guess you must be using a pretty short rope, which would mean not doing some of the other Dean's Box things, eg the linking ropes.

I actually use the two ring Sefalajia version rather than the one with the safety pin (I think it's quicker to do the dirty work) but I don't think that would make a difference
Jolyon Jenkins
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Here's an outline of a basic routine you can do in a stage or parlor presentation of our version of Sefalaljia.

1. Ball in Glass
2. Knotting the silk
3. Knotting a rope
4. Ring on Rope # 1 (The original Stewart James' routine)
5. Ghost Milk Vanish
6. Ring on Rope # 2
7. Red and White Linking Ropes #1
8. Red and White Linking Ropes #2
9. Shrinking Rope
10. Bell, Book, and Candle Routine

For a close-up or table-hopping version of the routine, you might consider using these:

1. Ball in Glass
2. Knotting the silk
3. Ring on Rope # 2
4. Red and White Linking Ropes #1
5. Shrinking Rope
Professor Spellbinder

BenHFarrar
View Profile
Regular user
103 Posts

Profile of BenHFarrar
I have in the past done a Slydini-esque knotting and un-knotting of Handkerchiefs in the Dean's Box. It worked nicely, as I could pull the knot out of the upper flap and then gently tuck it in and even more gently remove the two unlinked scarves.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2009-07-22 05:21, rjenkins wrote:
Thanks - I guess you must be using a pretty short rope, which would mean not doing some of the other Dean's Box things, eg the linking ropes.

I actually use the two ring Sefalajia version rather than the one with the safety pin (I think it's quicker to do the dirty work) but I don't think that would make a difference

It's not the length of the rope but what part of the rope you use. If you do it toward one end it will work irregardless of how long the rope is
rickmagic1
View Profile
Inner circle
MIddle Tennessee area
1548 Posts

Profile of rickmagic1
I'm sure you guys all know this already; just received Marc DeSouza's new dvd set, and his presentation for the Box is fantastic!
Richard Green
The Modern Conjurer

Coming soon:
Victorian Secrets: An Evening With The Spirits!