The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Boxes, tubes & bags :: Lloyd Guinea Pig Box (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Darrin Cook
View Profile
Special user
621 Posts

Profile of Darrin Cook
I am interested in this. The effect is that a magician has a box with a guinea pig in it, and claims it will do amazing feats. After much buildup, the rodent does nothing, so the magician wraps him up in paper and tears him to pieces. Harry Anderson did this on TV, only he ate the poor critter!

I am not interested in performing the geek routine, but I would like to know if anyone else has seen or done the routine, or can comment on the quality and practicality of the box. (Collector's Workshop makes one.)

Thanks.
Magicduck
View Profile
Elite user
Washington State
484 Posts

Profile of Magicduck
I saw some photo ads for this shortly after Harry did it. In showing off the workmanship of the box they tipped the method... which is not real sophisticated. Of course, the trick is not either. The one I saw photos of was well made of a hardwood. If you need more specific info you can pm me.
quack
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3727 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
I just recently traded off my Loyd Guinea Pig Box (by the way, it's made by the Viking arm of the company, and has been for quite some time, not the Collector's Workshop part). It was great. You've gotta have a relatively cooperative guinea pig, which mine isn't, and he also got WAY too big. Apparently the guy who sold him to me didn't know what kind he really was. He's as big as my cat now. But the box is very well made, and you can do the very same routine Harry Anderson did. Harry's hands are so big, he didn't need to use newspaper for cover...just his hands.

Steve Thomas
Ty Argo
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
525 Posts

Profile of Ty Argo
Again, the box is of very nice construction as well as the t*** ***r is fairly well disguised. For the eating of it, Harry used cotton candy dyed color of the animal.
Dyslexics UNTIE!!
Chance Wolf
View Profile
Inner circle
2425 Posts

Profile of Chance Wolf
Darrin,
If you are still interested, buy the Viking model. George builds beautiful props. I have the Viking Guinea Pig Box (thanks to Steve Thomas) Smile and the workmanship is great.
Chance Wolf
Smile
Creator of Wacky Wolf Productions & Fine Collectibles

A DECADE of building Magic and we're just getting started!

http://www.wolfsmagic.com
debaser
View Profile
Special user
Boulder
557 Posts

Profile of debaser
We had one of these in the shop I used to work at. I thought it was great, but had a hard time selling it. Makes sense since you have to own a guinea pig and have to have an appropriate place to perform it.

But all in all I think it's a clever method with the ??? being on the outside of the box.

Matt
Mr Phil
View Profile
Regular user
Tilton, New Hampshire
160 Posts

Profile of Mr Phil
Hi, I have been interested in this effect for a while. Without tipping the method, can you please let me know how large the load chamber is?

Thanks

Mr Phil Smile
Mr. Phil & Co. Quality Family Entertainment, Guaranteed! (603) 286-3029 WWW.mrphilandco.com Snail Mail to: P.O. Box 31 Tilton, NH 03276