The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Boxes, tubes & bags :: Mirror Glass for Fish Vanish (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Kane Mouri
View Profile
New user
Tokyo
53 Posts

Profile of Kane Mouri
My latest routine consists of an addition to Eduardo Kozuch's Artistic Fish. After the fish is produced and dropped into a glass cup I make the statement that this fish isn't real. Since they imagined it off the white board it is only a figment of their imagination. I tell them to look inside the glass cup and there is no fish anymore, only water. I ask for a sealed pet bottle I'd given to one of the spectators earlier and then have the goldfish appear inside the sealed bottle.

I have all the workings mapped out, except for the vanishing of the fish from the glass bottle. I've reached the conclusion that a Mirror Glass will probably be ideal for the vanish.

Any recommendations for the most appropriate (and affordable) Mirror Glass for this effect?
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7669 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
The mirror glass should have the edges sealed with silcone.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Another solution is to have a waterproof table well filled with an inch or so of real water. The fish can be plucked out of the glass in various ways and deposited in the well. Various ways: a Chen Lee Water Suspension gimmick with holes drilled in the bottom, and cut down to about 1/4 the size; an invisible net in a wire ring on the bottom of the glass with a monofilament loop to pull it up and out; sleight of fish. You would cover the glass with a handkerchief and hand it to the spectator to hold. In picking up the handkerchief from the table, you deposit the fish in its well (the empty glass is momentarily concealed by your fingers wrapped around it).
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Several years ago I bought a beautiful cut crystal mirror goblet that was sealed for just such a use. The Trickery has one that looks similar.
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Kane Mouri
View Profile
New user
Tokyo
53 Posts

Profile of Kane Mouri
Thanks for all the suggestions, any and all recommendations are appreciated.

Richard: Are you suggesting I make one or is there any specific Mirror Glass you could link me to? Sorry, I've never own one before so I don't know if this is standard of Mirror Glass' or not.

Spellbinder: I'll look into these.

Amosmc: I've come across a few of these and they definitely are a beauty. The only setback is that It'd look quite out of place in the environments I perform in and would draw suspicion. Do you have any suggestions for a cup version that you liked?
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
What sorts of "environments" do you perform in?
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Kane Mouri
View Profile
New user
Tokyo
53 Posts

Profile of Kane Mouri
Japan. I perform a mental magic act in a parlour, drawing-room environment. While glass cups go unnoticed, goblets definitely draw attention and bring out the "magician" role rather than the "mentalist who performs psychological illusions"
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Quote:
On 2007-05-03 12:54, Kane Mouri wrote:
Japan. I perform a mental magic act in a parlour, drawing-room environment. While glass cups go unnoticed, goblets definitely draw attention and bring out the "magician" role rather than the "mentalist who performs psychological illusions"

You should have mentioned that first; water-filled table wells are definitely out. In that case, I think the best device is the laminated palm photo rather than a mirror glass. I never yet met a mirror glass that didn't give itself away by the tell-tale shine. But a laminated card with a color photo of the palm of your hand will hide the fish in any ungimmicked glass without looking fishy. Just wedge it into place and the audience will think they are looking through the glass to your real palm- the fish has vanished.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
Quote:
On 2007-05-03 10:57, amosmc wrote:
Several years ago I bought a beautiful cut crystal mirror goblet that was sealed for just such a use. The Trickery has one that looks similar.

I did the same thing. It was rather expensive, but it is really nice. I cannot remember who manufactured it. I think the box it came in has a "Made In Germany" sticker on it.

Regan
Mister Mystery
Kane Mouri
View Profile
New user
Tokyo
53 Posts

Profile of Kane Mouri
Quote:
On 2007-05-03 19:08, Spellbinder wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-05-03 12:54, Kane Mouri wrote:

You should have mentioned that first; water-filled table wells are definitely out. In that case, I think the best device is the laminated palm photo rather than a mirror glass. I never yet met a mirror glass that didn't give itself away by the tell-tale shine. But a laminated card with a color photo of the palm of your hand will hide the fish in any ungimmicked glass without looking fishy. Just wedge it into place and the audience will think they are looking through the glass to your real palm- the fish has vanished.

The idea sounds intriguing. I'm guessing when you say wedge it in place you mean pre-performance. What would you make the other side of the lamination? Would you make both sides the color photo of your palm? In this case it would be necessary to be holding the cup during the entire routine. Would you wedge the laminated photo into the middle of the cup or more to the back/front?

Thanks,
Kane
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
If you have any card magic skills, you ought to be able to place the photo into the glass any time after the fish is dropped in and before you have to show the glass empty. I don't know your routine, so I can't help you through the whole process, but fill your glass with water, drop in a fake fish and then see where in your routine you can place a card into the glass to hide the fish (you can practice with any card- if all goes well, make the photo card- palms on both sides). I'd guess you'd want to place the card and keep the fish in front of it, so the audience does not suspect anything is different about the glass, then rotate it after a magic gesture or something (you know your style and your routine better than I).

The card does not need to be wedged if you can put a weight along the bottom to keep it from floating up in the water. In that case, it can just be dropped into the glass rather casually. Practice will show you just how small a card you can get away with to hide your fish.
Professor Spellbinder

Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
My mirror glass is actually a mirror goblet, so you can hold it by the stem. It is also cut crystal so it is a little more deceptive than the old, standard mirror glass.

I would laminate the photo if I were going to try Spellbinder's idea.

Regan
Mister Mystery
ekozuch
View Profile
Veteran user
argentina
329 Posts

Profile of ekozuch
Hello, I really like the idea you have for artistic fish, I think you should not use a mirror glass at first, just use a normal glass and let everyone see the fish inside, then you can drop all the water inside an other glass(which is a mirror glass) and by this way make the fish dissapear, but if you use a mirror glass at first, the 180 ª move may looks very suspicious.(you can say that due to the fish was just an ilussion, it dissapear, or you can even put some small amount of red color powder in half of the mirror glass, and say that the fish was not real , was just ink).
I am sorry if some of my ideas are not very well explained because of my english is not perfect.
Kane Mouri
View Profile
New user
Tokyo
53 Posts

Profile of Kane Mouri
Thanks for all the suggestions. Ekozuch, love the fish2ink idea. I've ordered an regular mirror glass but am actually leaning more towards Spellbinder's brilliant idea for performances. I'll update this topic once I've tried and performed several methods.
Ross W
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1783 Posts

Profile of Ross W
FWIW, Kane, I don't think you;ll get away with using a mirror glass for a fish vanish.

IMO, mirro glasses can work fine for appearances: that's because, on first viewing a mirror glass, the audience will ASSUME it's empty because nothing tells them it isn't. And then the appearance happens, trick over.

With a vanish, your fish is there, and then it isn't - FORCING the audience to look as closely as they can, wondering where the h*ll the fish has gone. And as we all know, mirror glasses don't stand up to close scrutiny.

If I think of a way you can do it, I'll post again.
Author.
Twitter: @rosswelford
www.rosswelford.com