The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Boxes, tubes & bags :: Plan B: When things go wrong during a show! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
dearwiseone
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
1143 Posts

Profile of dearwiseone
Another post addresses the need for backup props and effects in case things go wrong.

What about when things go wrong during a show. Do you use a code to communicate things to your assistant backstage? Do you have an "impromtu intermission" set up in the form of a video, or just by announcing one?

What about the times something goes wrong in the middle of your show and you suddenly have to change the order of the effects? What are the most common causes of interrupted shows or problems you would run in to that would necessitate a major change?

Anyone have any ideas or stories? Thanks!
Paul Jester
View Profile
Special user
UK
759 Posts

Profile of Paul Jester
One peice of advice I follow is to always have a trick in your pocket. Something that packs small but plays big. Personnally I carry a coin purse with 5 coins in it, I know others who carry a deck, or rope, something where you can adjust the length depending on how much music you need to eat up, and something that can be done talking in case the sound dies. hmmm, actually I think in future I'll pack rope...

Paul
dove-boy
View Profile
Special user
Joe Yu (Stage Name)
545 Posts

Profile of dove-boy
Not sure if this is the right topic on "When things go wrong during a show!"

But has anyone dislocate their arm when performing....?

Happens to me...I have a dis-location on my Right arm...there is 2-3 times where I disclocates my arms....I can't even move....my face is pale...just my left arm..trying to pushes my right shoulder back into position.. Smile

I can still recall the looks of the audience faces...they though I am 'crazy' OR I am doing some sorts of stunts...hmm....even my helpers are astound..they though I am doing a 'NEW TRICK'...Smile

Guess there is not plan B for this Smile
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
I follow the Harry Lorayne axiom, keep going until you get something. I tell jokes, patter on, what ever it takes. Since I've never published a menu or program of what I'm doing, only I really know what is supposed to be next. I've had props fall apart, been half way thorugh a trick and realized the assistant set it up wrong and left out something critical, slipped and fell throwing my back out, but the show must go on, and I always managed to come up with something. Like when I got up with the thrown out back and could barley shuffle across the stage I announced "Tim Conway's little old man as a magician" and completed the show, throwing in some conway like one liners, etc. The audience roared, which was good because I was screaming in pain.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
chmara
View Profile
Inner circle
Tucson, AZ
1911 Posts

Profile of chmara
1. Never let them see you sweat. Do not look guilty.

2. They do not know it went wrong - or what comes next. Unless you are injured, move on.

3. Cut the show short - but not a full stop unless an ambulance is needed.

4. DO NOT repeat. Figure what went wrong and how to defeat it happening rather than worrying about an out. If an out occurs to you because it happened more than one time -- you need to rework the trick or segment so it cannot happen -- or drop it. You can bet your bippy that the next day's rehearsal re-hones that portion of the show to perfection end eliminates the problem - or is redone.

5. One old dodge - if you are caught straight out -- is to reach into your pocket -- take out a notebook -- flip through the pages -- tear out one page, tear it up and throw pieces n the air -- and walk away mumbling " well that doesn't work."

Mac King tells of cutting off his finger tip when doing ropes -- and sterilizing the wound in a martini. His next show was done with a very large swathed finger.

Pam Thompson talks of a time the Great One forgot to load the birds. Just cut short.

Marvin Roy tells of times his rig started smoking in the middle of Mr. Electric. He finished quickly and had to rework the rig and batteries.

While the audience is blithely unaware - if you could eavesdrop on the Copperfield show's stage communications I am sure that at least one thing goes "wrong" per show and DC knows it immediately and is able to compensate.
Gregg (C. H. Mara) Chmara

Commercial Operations, LLC

Tucson, AZ

C. H. Mara Illusion & Psychic Entertainments
ufo
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
1185 Posts

Profile of ufo
This is an excellent question. I guess my strategy has always been to have an extra effect handy to switch to if something has to be dropped, OR if other things fail and you need to continue entertaining.
I remember Jeff McBride telling how he kept a little wooden box on stage behind a monitor at Radio City Music Hall and one night the light system failed right before the show-so Jeff goes out and entertains with the 'spare tricks' and literally saves the show in the audiences opinion!
I guess the next thing I think about is: do I know where a failure is most likely to occur? What prop, what action may be the weak link? Once I identify that, I can better cook up a strategy in my mind. Good food for thought!
Keep Your head up, your heart open and your magic alive.
Jimmagic
View Profile
New user
25 Posts

Profile of Jimmagic
I would have skip the trick if something goes wrong. I'll always prepare extra routines in my pocket just to recover my mistakes.