The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Boxes, tubes & bags :: Appearing Fish Illusion Ideas? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
MagicKev
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of MagicKev
I'd like to incorporate an illusion into my act involving an appearing fish (one or possibly more than one). I'd like to be able to show an empty bowl or fish tank at the start of the show and then have the fish appear later in the act.

Does anyone have any suggestions for techniques or products I can purchase?

I found an illusion called "The Aquarium" on The Magic Depot site. Does anyone know anything about it?

http://www.magic.org/store/product_info.php?products_id=514

Thanks for your help
MagicKev
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of MagicKev
Does anyone have any experience with "Fish-Appear" or the "Crystal Fish Tube?"
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
I have developed my own "do-it-yourself" version of the appearing fish using Dollar Store materials. It is explained in The Wizards' Journal #6 and only costs a couple of bucks to build - live goldfish extra. I combine the trick with a version of the Chinese Sticks that I call "The Chinese Fish Sticks" (in the same issue of Wiz J #6) where you replace the tassel with a safe "fishhook" and a gummi-worm.

I have in my "collection of stuff I rarely use," an old U.F. Grant Passe-Passe Goldfish trick, which operates in a similar fashion to the Crystal Fish tube. Producing the fish once is fine, but the Passe-Passe idea kept you dripping water for five minutes and wasn't worth it once they got the idea you could make the fish appear and disappear at will (with that big suspicious tube).

The fishbowl is more open and the sudden appearance of the fish is quite unexpected. Besides, it all stays inside the bowl, where the fish belongs anyway.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Darkwing
View Profile
Inner circle
Nashville Tn
1850 Posts

Profile of Darkwing
Spellbinder,

What Wizards Journal are you talking about? Is it a book, lecture notes, etc?

Who published it and is it still available.

I have a friend who bought the aquarium and he had problems with the fish staying in the l**d c*****r and not appearing instantly.

Any ideas?
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
The Wizards' Journal is published on my site (check my signature). It is a collection of e-articles, or available as a complete e-book put out on a regular basis that we laughingly refer to as the Looney Cycle.

Fish are not the brightest creatures in the world and they are also very cautious about popping out of ... I think we dare say it ... load chambers on cue. However, in my home-made version they are confined in a very small (invisible)space and I have had no trouble having them flex their fins upon being released. Combine that with quickly lowering the bowl a few inches in your hands , or just setting the bowl on your table (the production happens in your hands) so they can be seen no matter what because there is no place for them to hide once released- it is just a clear glass (well, really plastic) bowl.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
ufo
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
1185 Posts

Profile of ufo
Perhaps a "mirror bowl" is a simple solution?
Keep Your head up, your heart open and your magic alive.
nathanallen
View Profile
Special user
Des Moines, Iowa, USA
522 Posts

Profile of nathanallen
Is that clear-instant-appear goldfish thing just basically a watertight "crystal casket" (used for scarves, etc.)? Sounds interesting. Where could I find one to purchase?
Nathan Allen, The Maniac of Magic
www.maniacofmagic.com

To buy a prop is nothing.
To write a good routine is something.
To really entertain an audience is everything.
Snidini
View Profile
Special user
776 Posts

Profile of Snidini
Kev, I have used the Icle Pickle plexiglass tank/aquarium with limited success. I wouldn't recommend it. Recently, I did have the pleasure of seeing Diamond Jim's lecture and picked up his appearing fish trick. His, is the perfect solution (or at least it is for me)for an appearing goldfish. It's small, compact, loads easy and has never failed to get that "wow factor" I am always looking for. Here is his URL. Take a look and see if that will work for you. I can't recommend it enough.
http://www.diamond-jim.com/. The trick is called "Little Fishy".

Snidini
MagicKev
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of MagicKev
Thanks for your help. I ended up purchasing "Fish Appear." I've already tested it and it works great. I do wish the bowl were a bit larger, but it will be fine for my kids' shows.
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
This doesn't use a fish but...
I once saw an illusion where in an aquarium there was a white rock laying in the bottom of it. The magician reached into the water and pulled out the rock. As the rock emerged from the water, a dove appeared. It was a really pretty illusion.
Haven't been able to find it.
Daniel Faith
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5447 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Artistic Fish is a nice prop for producing one or two live goldfish from a drawing (flat white board).

Barehanded productions are as simple as buying a large TT.

George Murray invented and sells a very simple and stunning appearance of a goldfish or two in a small hand held bowl of water. You can see it at:
http://www.nnmagic.com/magicitems/closeuppage.htm

This method can be used for a larger bowl or small aquarium.

Talk to Café member Richard Hughes and see if he will build you a Stull Fishbowl. It produces several fish, one at a time, at the touch of a finger.

You could simply take a clear plastic bag (thinnest plastic available), fill it with fish and water, seal it closed, and load it into your dove pocket. Product it under a silk a la’ a dove production, drop the silk to the top of the fish bowl and drop the plastic bag in (make sure that the water level is low enough to accommodate the additional water in the bag.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Beaudini Magic
View Profile
Loyal user
Ohio
259 Posts

Profile of Beaudini Magic
Hello,

I have seen the upcoming Richard Hughes Stull Fishbowls, they are absolutely gorgeous, which is no surprise when it comes to the stuff Richard manufactures. The fish bowl will be used with a very beautiful Aerial Fishing routine. I am not quite sure how soon they will be released, but maybe that would do what you need it to. A work of art, I am making sure I get mine early, before they are gone.

-Beau Alexander
-Beau Alexander
"Make the Path, Others will Follow"
Ross W
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1783 Posts

Profile of Ross W
The appearing live fish Aquarium referenced above DOES NOT WORK!!! It is a piece of junk. The fish simply stay in the secret compartment and do not appear when they are supposed to!

Norm Nielsen's Fish Appear, on the other hand, is a beauty. You can look quite closely and you won't see a thing. It is only a hand-held bowl though.
Author.
Twitter: @rosswelford
www.rosswelford.com
algebraic
View Profile
Inner circle
1008 Posts

Profile of algebraic
You can check http://www.elmwoodmagic.com for fishbowl production.
leapinglizards
View Profile
Inner circle
1263 Posts

Profile of leapinglizards
One of the Tarbell books (I am not home or I would look it up) has a fish production that I believe was by one of the Bamberg's. It also allowed for the later vanish of same fish or substitution for frogs or other aquatic critters.
Leaping Lizards!!! Who knew it was possible.
<BR>
<BR>www.LeapingLizardsMagic.com
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
There is a fabulous routine like this in one of Billy McComb's books. Tells how to illuminate the bowl from below so the fish can be seen well.

WELL WORTH FINDING.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
jdbach
View Profile
Regular user
United States
174 Posts

Profile of jdbach
I have used a prop that Stevens stocks. A Fish Tank that will do nicely for you.
http://www.stevensmagic.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=1251

Worthy of consideration....
Fraser Gould
View Profile
New user
Tokyo, Japan
97 Posts

Profile of Fraser Gould
A few years ago I bought an effect that was the production of a goldfish/bowl from a rolled up mat - forget the name of it. Never put it into a show because I never thought of a decent way to present it. Any great ideas out there?
Fraser Gould
todsky
View Profile
Inner circle
www.magicstore.ca
2355 Posts

Profile of todsky
Chung Ling Soo's 'Aerial Fishing'. You cast your fishing pole line out into the audience and 'catch' goldfish at the end of the rod, take off each goldfish and drop them in your fish bowl. I saw this one in Walter Gibson's 'Mastering Magic' book.
Todsky's Magic Shop: over 15,000 tricks, books, DVD s and Card decks. www.magicstore.ca
Hamilton
View Profile
New user
Maine
90 Posts

Profile of Hamilton
Hocus Pocus has a

Early Grant Stull Fishbowl - $250.00

for sale...