The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Boxes, tubes & bags :: Cube A Libra (11 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
gimpy2
View Profile
Special user
960 Posts

Profile of gimpy2
I ended up doing a run of these Grants one two three after discovering a great routine by Clyde Hayre thru this thread. Clyde took my instructions and added his moves he had developed to make a very good 5 phase routine. I never really promoted this or even made a demo, just got busy with some other things and have not got back on it. Doubt many know it exists.
I have built several models of Cube a libre type sets. I did this one because it is so simple to perform. You don't really have to follow a preset routine like with a CAL. All you are doing to get the matches you need is change where the 3 is in the stack. Since you always have control of where the 3 will be at any time you can manipulate the covered stack to any order you need. It could not be any more simple. This set has a great look with no decals. Everything is printed directly on the block. heres my set http://www.gimpysmagic.com/grontwthbabl.html
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5171 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Well, these posts may have sealed the deal. I believe I have a tax return coming up. Hmmm...
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
funsway
View Profile
Eternal Order
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
10001 Posts

Profile of funsway
Sadly, I make so little I have no tax return. But, if I did, one cannot go wrong with any of gimpy's children - if even just to look at Smile
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Matti Kaki
View Profile
New user
Finland - - I.B.M. Finnish Magicians Assn
84 Posts

Profile of Matti Kaki
I'd like to get CUBES! by Carambamagic and tried to contact them by email. Now I received the following message: "Your message to <info@carambamagic.com> was automatically rejected: Quota exceeded (mailbox for user is full)". Any ideas how could I contact them or if here is somebody here who could contact them and ask to free some space. I do know few spanish magicians but wouldn't like to bother them instead of you all here. Smile
Matti Kaki
View Profile
New user
Finland - - I.B.M. Finnish Magicians Assn
84 Posts

Profile of Matti Kaki
Now I received email from Carambamagic. They had some kind of email problem with the internet provider but now it's working again. They are now making one for me and I am waiting for it really exited. They told that it takes few weeks and I surely want to wait for this beauty. Smile Smile
kazpet
View Profile
Regular user
118 Posts

Profile of kazpet
Did you get your cubes. If so how long did they take and how is the quality as I want to order them.
longdeademperor
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of longdeademperor
There are some great reviews of Caramba Magic’s ‘Cubes’ in this thread.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=218
troy thornton
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of troy thornton
I just bought a used set of Gimpy's Grant's One, Two, Three Baffling Blocks. It has instructions, but I try to follow them and I get messed up. can some one at least make a performance video? It would really help. there is absolutely nothing on the web that I can find.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Troy thornton, don't feel bad, as everyone has problems learning an memorizing Cube-a-Libra routines, it takes a lot of practice, then rehearsal of the full routine with patter, then at least once a week go though the routine several times from start to finish to keep it fresh in your mind.

If you are like me, the learning phase will take at least 100 run-throughs to get it down without looking at the instructions.

No one every said magic was easy to learn. Smile
gimpy2
View Profile
Special user
960 Posts

Profile of gimpy2
Well the Grants blocks are the easiest of all. Since it dose not work like a cube a libre. With a cube a libre 6 block you are keeping track of multiple outcomes and you must always be one step ahead an stay in a specific order. not so with Grants,you have only three blocks and you are really only changing the position of the number 3 block. Start by learning how to get all possible outcomes then put them in order in a routine. You don't have to follow the exact order in the instructions. hope that helps.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5447 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
The U. f. Grant "1-2-3 Baffling Block Trick" Is more a take off of the older "Block Mystery" (England) or "Color Blocks" (Adams actually put out a plastic Red-White-Blue, plastic, pocket version in the early 60s). It is remarkably easy to perform compared to the Cube-a-Libre.

Frankly it is easy to learn with instructions printed out and laying flat on a table and learning each phase one phase at a time. The original routine had a possible six phases but could be ended after the 4th phase (a strong ending). I am surprised that our friend Troy is having any difficulty learning the routine. It is difficult to visualize what the end of each phase looks like and how to transition to the next phase.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
troy thornton
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of troy thornton
Thanks guys.
g.albinana
View Profile
Regular user
125 Posts

Profile of g.albinana
Hi, I have the same Issue, I have a set of Grant´s blocks but english is not my first lenguage, so I get all confused with the instructions...I would love to see a performance of it Smile Thanks!
Magic Mark
View Profile
Inner circle
After this post I will have
1545 Posts

Profile of Magic Mark
This effect has always been a spellbinder for me. I keep coming back to it. I think I am drawn to the complexity of the memorization while, at the same time, I'm a bit fearful of it. It is so easy to accidentally make a mistake and then the rest of the routine is in trouble. It's like I have some sort of masochistic urge to challenge myself. Smile

Back in 2019, I couldn't decide between the 4-block 'Cubes' and a full 6-block (two stacks) Cube-A-Libre. I ultimately received a generous offer (I couldn't refuse) and picked up a previously-loved mint condition 'Cubes', a right-hand red tube model. I've received very strong reactions every time I've performed it. The quality of the props is absolutely first class. I can HIGHLY recommend 'Cubes'. You simply can't go wrong.

But since getting 'Cubes', I've continued to wonder if I really should have gone with a full 6-block Cube-A-Libre. I've watched various previously-owned CAL sets show up for sale (both here and on magic dealer's sites) and my itchy trigger finger has almost hit the buy button, MANY times. I've spent hours reading and rereading topics such as this one, researching the various models of CAL available all around the world. I've watched numerous CAL demonstrations on YouTube. All the while wondering which version is the "best". But I never pulled the trigger.

That is, until today. Hocus-Pocus had a mint condition Jay Leslie 6-block Cube-A-Libre set (standard, not jumbo) for a very fair price. Well below the original retail price. I just couldn't resist it.

Maybe not so coincidentally, I recently purchased a copy of Geoffrey Durham's book. What a terrific book! His 'The Blocks' routine is outstanding! And now I have a 6-block set on the way. Coincidence? Smile

Once it arrives, I'll share my thoughts regarding the quality of Jay Leslie's props. I am a little concerned about scratching of the plastic material, as mentioned in Cris Johnson's review:

http://crisjohnsontricktalk.blogspot.com......bre.html

In the meantime, my brain knows it is in for a workout as I put together a 6-block routine the fits me.

Mark
Doing tricks can be easy, being an entertainer is much harder.
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
I used to have 999 posts, now I have
1625 Posts

Profile of JNeal
Mark,

I feel the same way about this! the Durham routine got me going... I almost made my own set.
Then I realized I didn't want to travel (working nearly full time on ships) with this effect.
Now I've given up ships and perhaps it is time to revisit this one!
Yes, keep sharing your insights and experiences...
visit me @ JNealShow.com
bobmag56
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of bobmag56
Mark, I had the 6 block Cube-A-Libre made by Golden Gate magic many years ago. I think the effect is better (more deceptive) than versions with less blocks. I also had no problems involving memory for block stacking. The only minor issue was stacking 6 blocks requires some steady handling.
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1916 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
In my opinion, the first thing to work out prior to purchasing a Cube A Libra set, is whether you are working (as one) or are using an assistant. This will determine your presentation possibilities and options. I love this trick and believe that it is VERY deceptive, but for me, working as one, I would not do it as I think it works better when an assistant is used. Just my 2 cents worth.
funsway
View Profile
Eternal Order
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
10001 Posts

Profile of funsway
Mark. I put together a routine based on "creative accounting" after the Enron disaster that worked well.

Today, that theme could apply to bank failures, Musk Math, etc. - or any billionaire doing taxes.

Another could be the way that "we pay cash for homes" financers do their value calculations. (being upside down, etc.)
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Magic Mark
View Profile
Inner circle
1545 Posts

Profile of Magic Mark
Some great suggestions, thanks!

Man, I'd really love to get the chance to watch Bob Sheets perform his Cube-A-Libre routine. Not to copy it (by any means), but to possibly provide some inspiration. I've repeatedly read great things about Bob's routine, I've had no luck whatsoever finding it online. Surely *somebody* shot video of it at one point???

Mark
Magic Mark
View Profile
Inner circle
1545 Posts

Profile of Magic Mark
My Jay Leslie Cube A Libra (Jay's spelling) arrived yesterday and I've had some time to play with it. This is a very nicely made set of props. Everything is constructed from some form of plastic, but it's not the type of hard or shiny plastic that our minds go to when we mention "plastic". My previously-owned set has some minor nicks and scratches here and there. For all I know, those were there from the manufacturing process.

The props seem robust enough to me to not have to worry about damaging them. I can see how it would be possible to add some scuffing or scratching, but I don't see anything that would cause me worry about performing it.

The blocks are all hollow but still seem very sturdy. The tube isn't as heavy as its size suggests. Out of curiosity I weighed a stack of 6 blocks, with gimmicks, inside the tube. The whole thing weighed in at 3 lb 5 oz. (For comparison, I also weighed my 'Cubes' by Caramba Magic. The tube with 4 blocks and gimmicks weighed 3 lb. 2 oz.)

The numbers on the Jay Leslie blocks are clearly vinyl stickers but seem pretty good quality. Those numbers are sort of a fluorescent yellow, tilting toward green just a little bit. The graphic elements on the tube are a thicker material. Those elements may be made out of plastic, it's hard to tell for sure. Those graphics are a yellow/orange in color.

Everything operates smoothly. The gimmicks are unlined so it's smooth surface against smooth surface. A firm squeeze is needed when handling the gimmicks and blocks together.

Overall, I am impressed with the Jay Leslie Cube A Libra. Very nice quality and MUCH nicer than a couple of other 6-block Cube A Libre's that I've handled.

That said...

The 'Cubes' by Caramba Magic is the "Cadillac", IMHO. The Caramba Magic tube is made of wood. The blocks are solid wood. The inside of the tube and inside of the gimmicks are lined with felt. And not some haphazard arrangement of felt either, the construction quality is impeccable.

If a magician wants to own just one set of props of this type, and would be happy with a single stack of 4 blocks instead of two stacks of 6 blocks, the 'Cubes' by Caramba Magic is the one to get.

And THAT said...

I reiterate, I am very pleased with the Jay Leslie set. It's no slouch. If the 'Cubes' by Caramba Magic is a 10 on a scale of 1 to 10, the Jay Leslie Cube A Libra is at least an 8.

Mark