The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Boxes, tubes & bags :: Dean's Box (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4770 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
I bought Dean's Box from Dean Dill directly when it first came out about two years ago. This is a professional prop with a baffling routine. I bought it knowing how it worked ahead of time. I build many of my own props and illusions and consider myself a very good woodworker. This box is gorgeous and I would have a hard time duplicating the quality in the wood and fabric. Dean told me he had a local craftsman make these up for him.

I love performing this effect and like others have added some additional effects to the original routine. I tell my audience that this is actually a small stage with wings where the performer (hands) enters. Audiences love this effect. It's direct, surprising, and has audience participation. I would say that the only negative thing about it is the videotape that Dean provides is bare bones. He does the effect and teaches the method well but the presentation is rather bland. I know Michael Close uses this in his professional repertoir and raves about it. Sure you can do rope and ring routines without the box (I do all the time) but there is something very magical of having the mystery occur within the box. Dean's Box gets my highest recommendation.
Snidini
View Profile
Special user
776 Posts

Profile of Snidini
I agree with Scott Ocheltree and Countelmsely that this box is a truly marvelous piece of work. Having just purchased mine, I can't believe I waited this long to aquire it. It is a stunning piece of craftsmanship and the laser etching of Dean on the box is a sweet touch to authenticate the product. I have shown this to several folks and it always, I repeat always, gets a smile and look of amazement on their faces.

I can show several closeup tricks but this is the one they want to see over and over again. It appears that this can play as close-up or a small stage situation. Thanks Dean for another fine contribution to the magic community.
MagicMan1957
View Profile
Inner circle
1445 Posts

Profile of MagicMan1957
Hey all... when you bring out the box and just place it on the table, people just kinda stare at it... it just looks mysterious. My finale with it is to show it empty of course, then when about to put it away, I say, "Actually I had a 'HELPER' assist me with the box tricks I did". I now reach in the box that some observers just saw empty and pull out a tiny LIVE MOUSE, I had palmed... I say, my friend "MICKEY" did all the magic!!! ...of course this bit can't be used at all shows!!! Smile

(I might add, palm the mouse VERY gently!!!)
Snidini
View Profile
Special user
776 Posts

Profile of Snidini
Great idea Magicman. I am sure that other animals/reptiles could be used also as "helpers".

Scott
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
Payne:

Great idea about the Invisible deck. As to the violin playing, do you think the "tuning fork" principle (ala David Roth??) might be a solution? If so, I respectfully suggest that you place the violin inside a sound chamber box (a box with a portion (or all) of one side open for the sound to get out). This would help amplify the sound. The "necessary items" would of course be out of sight under the table.

Just a random brainstorming thought-and my two cents worth (grin).

Best regards.

Turk
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
Chance Wolf
View Profile
Inner circle
2425 Posts

Profile of Chance Wolf
Hey folks, I just received my "Dean's Box"! I can't tell you how much fun I am having with it as well as my appreciation for the fine woodwork. I have already begun working on the subtle handlings and cleaning up a few spots which sort of bothered me in the video presentation. (no offense Dean, your a brilliant man) I plan on adding a riff or two from Payne's advice as well as hopefully come up with a few twists of my own.

Thomas... have you ever heard Aerosmith do
"Come Together" by the Beatles? It rocked and I, as well as others, think it was far superior to the original version... wouldn't that be called a "cover"? Maybe ya ought to lighten up a little bit.
Chance Wolf
Creator of Wacky Wolf Productions & Fine Collectibles

A DECADE of building Magic and we're just getting started!

http://www.wolfsmagic.com
Victor Brisbin
View Profile
Elite user
Washington, DC / NOVA
432 Posts

Profile of Victor Brisbin
This discussion covered a lot of territory outside of the box (sorry...), and raised the age-old debate about whether magic should be done with "natural" looking items, or "magical" looking props.

In the case of Dean's Box, one could ask, "Did it fool you?" and "Is it well-made?" The answer to both questions is yes. Having said that, as much as I enjoyed watching Mr. Dill demonstrate this on several occasions, I chose not to buy one after witnessing a fourteen-year old with his parents' (?) credit card purchase one at a convention. It is a wonderful application of principles, some of which were also found in The Phoenix.
"It is better to practice a little than talk a lot." - Muso Kokushi
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4770 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
That fourteen year old could be the next Lance Burton.
Victor Brisbin
View Profile
Elite user
Washington, DC / NOVA
432 Posts

Profile of Victor Brisbin
Good point, Count. I hope he buys some books to go with his props. Thank you, VB
"It is better to practice a little than talk a lot." - Muso Kokushi
Scott Ocheltree
View Profile
Veteran user
364 Posts

Profile of Scott Ocheltree
Just re-reading thru this thread...

Chance Wolf telling Thomas Wayne to "lighten up"—

ROTFLMAO Smile
Chance Wolf
View Profile
Inner circle
2425 Posts

Profile of Chance Wolf
Hey Folks,
I just received the "Dean's Box"! What a wonderful creation. Great woodwork and craftsmanship overall. I want to add my input to the handling. This effect has been on the market for awhile now so you may have already come up with it yourself or heard it from another. But, if not, then woo hoo!

Go to the Secret Sessions area to find these tips.

Thanks
Chance Wolf
http://www.wolfsmagic.com/
Creator of Wacky Wolf Productions & Fine Collectibles

A DECADE of building Magic and we're just getting started!

http://www.wolfsmagic.com
Snidini
View Profile
Special user
776 Posts

Profile of Snidini
Thanks for the tip Chance. We will check it out.

Scott