The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Boxes, tubes & bags :: Card Duck / Educated Duck (19 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Richard, we both know that you or any manufacturer working out of his place could not keep up with the international demand. There are working performers that desire quality dependable props they want to use. Look at the some of the overpriced routine only offering lately. There is a market, and that is within a one to several man operation for quality magic props, that are of the classic variety. Sure it is work to make a dozen of the same thing, but in the end there is financial reward, and pride of providing quality props that magicians are proud to work with.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
The India made ones work pretty well and dress-up rather nicely. At least one doesn't have to worry about destroying a collectable or vintage model if one decides to give it a face lift

Click here to view attached image.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3883 Posts

Profile of Julie
We have a vintage Hamilton Card Duck that has an additional feature that permits her to lay a (small plastic) egg.

Does anyone have any knowledge concerning her unique ability?

Was this a special order, custom job, one-of or a previous owner's personal brain storm?

Julie
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Hi Julie!

I've seen "egg laying JoAnns", although I've never owned one.

Dick
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3883 Posts

Profile of Julie
Thanks Dick.

I am looking forward to your book!

Julie
Quentin
View Profile
Inner circle
1020 Posts

Profile of Quentin
Crandall suggested doing away with the feed box and having the duck take cards from your hand. Has anyone tried that?
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
Yes, and it's a lot of fun when the duck grabs your finger and won't let go. Another fun bit is using an old fashioned "electric deck" and pulling it out of the duck's mouth after it starts coughing and choking.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
The late Don Alan published a routine for JoAnn the Duck in either Close-Up Time or Pretty Sneaky booklet published by Magic Inc. It is lengthy routine and has some funny premises.
magicshowprod
View Profile
Regular user
Seattle, WA
109 Posts

Profile of magicshowprod
Wow, I am so glad I asked this question. The wealth of photos and ideas has really made this thread a worthwhile read. Thanks so much for all involved!
Don Shock
The Magical World of Don Shock
Matti Kaki
View Profile
New user
Finland - - I.B.M. Finnish Magicians Assn
84 Posts

Profile of Matti Kaki
Quote:
On Jun 21, 2015, rhettbryson wrote:
As requested - here is a line-up of several of my 55 card ducks and variations (Geese, Fifi’s, Penguins and Dragons!) On the very end (left) is the ORIGINAL - Ireland Card Duck approx. 1936. He has a tea strainer for a handball ball for a head.

Hi, Rhett. I am interested in the magic prop history. How are you doing with the Card Duck Book?
rhettbryson
View Profile
Elite user
Greenville, SC Not ashamed of his
407 Posts

Profile of rhettbryson
Matti - Bogged down with many responsibilities.... And failed to get some essential information from several sources who promised me cooperation. So - nothing on the radar right now.... Sorry
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
For those who want to BUILD a two dimensional Card Critter, The Wizards' Journal #29 has an e-Book by Spellbinder with history and sources for this version of the effect called, appropriately enough, "Card Critters." The Elf and Rudolph is just right for this season of the year.

Leo H
View Profile
Inner circle
1339 Posts

Profile of Leo H
I have a few Hamiltons and a copy I can't identify. They all don't seem to work consistently. Each duck requires its own touch and handling to grab the card in its beak from the tray.
rmoraleta
View Profile
Special user
Philippines
767 Posts

Profile of rmoraleta
Does anyone know where the Difatta Card Ducks are made from?

Are they made in India also?

TIA! 😇
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On Aug 22, 2018, rmoraleta wrote:
Does anyone know where the Difatta Card Ducks are made from?

Are they made in India also?

TIA! 😇

Yes! And they look very good, Difatta seems to require good quality control for the their items from India. From the Difatta items I have purchased.
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
Quote:
On Nov 20, 2017, Leo H wrote:
I have a few Hamiltons and a copy I can't identify. They all don't seem to work consistently. Each duck requires its own touch and handling to grab the card in its beak from the tray.

It helps if you wet the duck's "lips" before the grab. The way I do it is to give my forefinger a big wet kiss and pass it on to the duck (for good luck to find the chosen cards), smearing the inner pads with just a little saliva prior to the card grabs. The problem is solved the same way with my 2 Dimensional Critters also.
Leo H
View Profile
Inner circle
1339 Posts

Profile of Leo H
Quote:
On Aug 22, 2018, jimgerrish wrote:
Quote:
On Nov 20, 2017, Leo H wrote:

It helps if you wet the duck's "lips" before the grab. The way I do it is to give my forefinger a big wet kiss and pass it on to the duck (for good luck to find the chosen cards), smearing the inner pads with just a little saliva prior to the card grabs. The problem is solved the same way with my 2 Dimensional Critters also.

Small black rubber pads glued to the inner upper and lower beaks did the job for me.
Dan Ford
View Profile
Special user
Illinois
761 Posts

Profile of Dan Ford
I keep a double or folded piece of medium grit sandpaper between the beaks to preserve the grip of the pads.
rmoraleta
View Profile
Special user
Philippines
767 Posts

Profile of rmoraleta
Thanks a lot Bill! 😇
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3701 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
Quote:
On Jul 3, 2015, Bill Hegbli wrote:
The late Don Alan published a routine for JoAnn the Duck in either Close-Up Time or Pretty Sneaky booklet published by Magic Inc. It is lengthy routine and has some funny premises.

I would like to see that, and copies of both books are available. I didn't see the duck routine listed in the contents of either booklet. Do you know which one it was?