The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Boxes, tubes & bags :: Vanishing Bowl of Water (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7672 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Send me your email address.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
soleil
View Profile
Loyal user
294 Posts

Profile of soleil
Hi Richard,

please send me the video on my email address. I PM'ed you.

Thanks in advance,
"Art is the Artist. The Artist is God."- Goete
billappleton
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Gatos, California
1154 Posts

Profile of billappleton
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Thank you, Richard! Nice effect and fun to see Kalanag at work in both German and English.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2011-11-06 12:16, wmhegbli wrote:
The Bowl on a Pole Vanish may need an assistant to perform. It is $1,200.00 dollars.

What is the total cost including the packing material, storage space, box and time kept? Smile
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7672 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I am not sure what you are asking as to the cost. The effect is $1200. Storage space is for a 36" pole, and a tray and bowl (probably a 16' x 16' x 8" box).
If you get in to ATA case and such you are asking for lot of extra cost. The actual equipment can often be packed in with other props without the need for a separate case.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Richard, I think Dynamike thinks this is an old or antique magic prop. He does not realize you have the manufacturing rights for the Marshall line of magic tricks and will manufacture it new for your current customers.

This trick is called the Marshall/Richare Hughes Bowl on a Pole Vanish.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7672 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Yes, this is an old effect that I have the exclusive rights to make. If you have the Kalanag video from the Miracle Factory, you can see Kalanag do it and original Marshall Fastest Trick in World which I also own the rights to. Horace worked for Kalanag several times as he was one of the few people that understood about metric threads in the 1950's.

Richard
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
Is Dave Powell's Crystal Bowl Vanish still available? If so, where can you find it?
Mister Mystery
donrodrigo
View Profile
Special user
U.S.A. and Europe
635 Posts

Profile of donrodrigo
As said, angles are important in this. Actually made my own,clear bowl,had the gimmick part sown into a foular and used plexy-glass. I generally use with the lota and at one point the color of water changes.
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
I've been told the Crystal Bowl Vanish is no longer available. At any rate, I have started the process of making my own too. I found everything I need for the bowl and tray. Once I get that I will go to the cloth shop and try to find some good foulard material. (And something for the gimmick)

I am a little concerned about what type of adhesive to use. I like epoxy, but every kind I have tried eventually discolors. That could be a problem with this effect. Can anyone suggest a good, strong glue for plastics that will remain clear?
Mister Mystery
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I believe you will find you should use Acrylic solvent. It comes in different thicknesses, from a watery clear fluid to a heavier clear glue.

Do a Google search for it, and do a little research work on using it. There is even YouTube videos. I bought the watery solvent "IPS WELD-ON #3" on eBay. For your purposes, I believe you will want something thicker in consistency. Only use in a well ventilated area.

The problem with gluing plastic is that the parts must fit perfectly flush to each other in order to bond properly.
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
Thanks Bill. I have used the acrylic solvent before, but I didn't think it would work for this project. The type I had was super-thin. Maybe they make a thicker type, but it would have to be a lot thicker to work for me. I am going to need something that will fill.

I will try to do a little more research on acrylic solvents and see what I can find out.

Thanks.
Mister Mystery
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Regan,

Check with a real rocket scientist (NASA) Dr. Bill Rosenblum. He will be the new secretary at Ring 35 in Birmingham. I got help from him myself yesterday.
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Regan, I believe this is what you are looking for:

http://www.amazon.com/IPS-Weldon-Acrylic......indust_1
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
Bob, I'm not sure I could understand any instructions from a rocket scientist! But I will keep him in mind. Thanks!
Bill, that does.look like it might be what I need.Thanks!
Mister Mystery
cowboy5
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of cowboy5
This illusion is dependent on several steps to make it seem impossible. First the bowl should be independent of the tray. The bowl should be placed on the tray and then filled with water. Using a stage assistant to hold the tray allows the Magician freedom to display the foulard and place it over the bowl. When the foulard is removed the Magician can now perform the vanish, toss the foulard over the assistants arms and the illusion is done. I have built two of these and they are the perfect closer for your show.