The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Boxes, tubes & bags :: Mikame Chinese Sticks (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
aceofillusions
View Profile
New user
Seattle, WA
25 Posts

Profile of aceofillusions
I'd like to retract my last comment about the Nielson Chinese Sticks. I've recently contacted them and they were extremely helpful and kind regarding my difficulties with the sticks. I've now received a video with better instructions on how to use these sticks. I had to re-learn my thinking and use of the routine because these sticks are indeed very sensitive. After watching the video, I have made much improvement already.

Cheers,

Nate
Seattle Magician
Hansel
View Profile
Inner circle
Puerto Rico
2492 Posts

Profile of Hansel
I have never liked the "Chinese Sticks" I'm not saying that they are bad, but for my taste they are not what I like!
Anyway, If some day I think to get a pair of Chinese Sticks NIELSEN WOULD BE THE ONES!!!! I have seen this in person, and what a piece of art they are!!
Save some pennys and get this!
-H
Follow Me...
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Hansels-Comedy-and-Magic-Show-929625643774678/
Youtube: HanselSP
Twitter: @HanselSP
Instagram: HanselSP
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2011-04-22 13:12, Hansel wrote:
I have never liked the "Chinese Sticks" I'm not saying that they are bad, but for my taste they are not what I like!
Anyway, If some day I think to get a pair of Chinese Sticks NIELSEN WOULD BE THE ONES!!!! I have seen this in person, and what a piece of art they are!!
Save some pennys and get this!
-H

That is perfectly all right, every trick is not for every person. Personally, I once did not want anything to do with dove magic. Then years later, I found myself loving it and producing doves. Interest do change.

Remember, Nielson sticks are a limited item and will not be available forever, this is the second run and probably the last. Prices increase as well on an identical item. Then you could always go for a Kovari or Ping and Pong model. Just my thoughts and experiences.
Hansel
View Profile
Inner circle
Puerto Rico
2492 Posts

Profile of Hansel
Ping Pong are VERY WELL MADE!!! Kovari also are good but never liked the look!
A friend of mine have boths and use a lot more the Ping Pong ones!
-H
Follow Me...
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Hansels-Comedy-and-Magic-Show-929625643774678/
Youtube: HanselSP
Twitter: @HanselSP
Instagram: HanselSP
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1916 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
Check Jeff McBride's presentation of the Chinese Sticks here....it's terriffic!..... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOz1tXqH37w&feature=related
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6789 Posts

Profile of videoman
It looked like Jeff was using the Nielsen sticks.
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
In search of Vlad Dracul and his
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
Jeff does use the Nielsen sticks there. I own a set of Mikame sticks and I have never had any issues with them. It is surprising to hear others having such issues with a Mikame product as I own several other products from him and the craftsmanship and working mechanics of them are superb. It is hard to imagine that these issues would not have been addressed to/by Mr. Mikame.

I also own Kovari and Nielsen sticks and as far as smooth operation is concerned, the Nielsens beat everything else, but I cannot use them in my normal presentation. As Pete said about them, you do not want to bang them around a lot and in some of my presentations, that happens. The Kovari sticks have held up very well to that.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
I've seen a lot of Chinese Sticks for sale over the years, but this one got my attention! Check out Randi Rain's:

http://www.raincloudfoam.com/products-pa......-sticks/

For the price, this is great!

Doug
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5171 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Randi's are some of the most logical sticks around. They just make sense.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
Yes, I do like the premise of the sticks of dynamite! I was thinking about those as I was typing my previous post above, but I forgot to mention them. I wonder how smoothly they operate?
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5447 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Randi's are smooth working, silent and made they way a stick should be made. Highly recommended.

I've said it before elsewhere here on the Café' the Mikame Chinese Sticks are the poorest items in the Mikame line. They are rattle and are noisy. I have played with a half dozen Mikame sets they all are the same. For stage performances they might be OK but for a Parlor performer (two meter performer) they are worthless. The Kovari or Ping-Pong sticks are better constructed and affordable alternatives for classic Chinese Sticks. Randi Rain’s for an edgy routine.

At the expensive end there is always General Grant's. They are amongest the best made.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Quote:
On 2011-08-14 20:40, Harry Murphy wrote:
Randi's are smooth working, silent and...

Discontinued??? I can't find them anywhere! Smile

Doug
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5447 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Randi still has them listed on her site:

http://www.raincloudfoam.com/products-pa......effects/
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5171 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
I do own her Dollar Store Doll...it is very, very cool...and creepy too.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Yep!

Randi's Sticks are for me! I like the idea of having a "BANG" cap handy. This just makes sense! Thanks Harry, and everyone! Smile

Doug
BryanDreyfus
View Profile
Loyal user
293 Posts

Profile of BryanDreyfus
I truly hate to see people I have held in the highest regard in my magic career because I am unfortunately disappointed for one reason or another.

Through my reading throughout the 40 years I have been interested in magic I thought Roy Benson had a quicker wit and the good sense to re-routine something like the, long pour, salt pour to make it new to him at least. I loved the Chinese Sticks and found it to be a lengthy (years in fact) process to make them "MY OWN". Sure the effect is the same but the script and the jokes have to ones own. Bravo on the Sticks but sadly he falls short on the Salt Pour.

Just my humble opinion of course.

Bryan
Oh sure, I can spell "Antidisestablishmentarianism", but I can't type t-h-e.
Jon Blakeney
View Profile
Special user
Australia
657 Posts

Profile of Jon Blakeney
Hi fellow Magi,My Makame sticks rattle as well ,but this doesen't bother any
body but me.In all the shows iv'e done with them nobody has ever comented on the noise.Maby it just seems that two wooden sticks might make a noise when handled next to each other?
I still find the operation smooth /works well after seven maby eight years of practice plus shows ect.

Of course we are all different though.
'What the eye's see the heart must believe"
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
I have quite a few different sets of sticks (including the Grants, Kovari, Mikame and Randi Rain) and I use them all. The rattling in my Mikame set is quite minimal and it has never bothered me (I do use other Mikame products and I enjoy them all - very good quality). While I love the work and the quality of the Mikame line, I have to agree with Harry in saying that I think the sticks are on the lower(est) end of their entire product line.

As far as the Randi Rain sticks - they not only operate smoothly and quietly, but they are also very easy to justify for your character. For those that have not been to her site (referenced above by Harry) or seen them, they are TNT sticks. My presentation with it works the comedy angle: The character is Chaplin who happens upon the sticks and starts to fiddle with them to see what they are, futzes and putters around with it (all the while doing the classic routine). After a bit, he realizes what they are and tosses them into a box and hurriedly walks away.

As I walk away I activate a remote control flash unit with a bang cap that go off simultaneously, to which I react and run offstage ever more quickly - it always gets a laugh, and even sometimes it gets screams and usually makes a good number of people jump. For those crowds/venues where the flash pot and bang may not be acceptable/useable, I have a recording that plays over the speaker system of an old movie-style BOOM (like an exlosion in a mine).

Another very good set of "sticks" is more of a blend between a Pom-Pom Pole and Chinese Sticks, and it is the Pete Biro Plumber's Pole - very funny and very comical routine possibilities. Pete gave permission to David Regal to make and sell his version of this (which is much bigger and in relation, a bit heavier than the Biro version) which he calls The Plumber's Helper. The Regal version has a very unique and surprising ending. I love using the Biro version and would eventually love to get one from David Regal.
ngmoore5146
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of ngmoore5146
I have the Nielson and they are great. I'm inclined to do business with the builder or a reputable dealer. Sometimes the fun is in the hunt, and what I'm looking for was made many years ago and it's a one of a kind. Recently I added a beautiful set of Silent Mora wands in mint condition.
George
rhettbryson
View Profile
Elite user
Greenville, SC Not ashamed of his
407 Posts

Profile of rhettbryson
A feature of the Kovari/Jay Leslie (sold by Jay on his web site) not mentioned is the EXTRA long string finish. You pull the taste out to an impossible length at the end giving a nice tag to the end of the routine! I must have 5 or 6 different sets of the sticks and I prefer the Neilson and Leslie sticks for the appearance and smoothness of action. Norm is one of the very few who makes the sticks in a set of three and which also includes the possibility of the rear small string gag.