The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Boxes, tubes & bags :: Linking rings that don't break the bank (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Quote:
On 2008-03-17 13:25, John Bowlin wrote:
Aren't the rings in Capeharts ring dvd Owen rings?

Without running down and watching it again I cannot say for sure but I highly doubt it. Chris also opened the routine in his recent lecture with a move I would never recommend with Owen rings. Anyway, I really doubt it.

He uses flexible cheap rings and for good reason. They work better for his routine.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
John Bowlin
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
827 Posts

Profile of John Bowlin
You are right Frank, I must have been thinking of Whit Hayden. I just watched Capeharts DVD again, I had forgotten how incredibly well he does that 3 ring routine. He does indeed use a set of 10" solid steel rings. It just resulted in me buying a set of those rings from you. I have never used anything but ninja rings close-up but I can't wait to work out a close up routine using those 10" rings. I have 3 different sets of 12" rings but they are a bit big and stiff for an "in your face" routine.
KurtK
View Profile
Regular user
164 Posts

Profile of KurtK
I am looking for a set of rings for kids shows and I have the choice between 8" for $27 or 10" for $42, I am on a tight budget because my parents cant afford much so which should I go for?
Matthew W
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2456 Posts

Profile of Matthew W
Quote:
On 2008-03-19 23:07, KurtK wrote:
I am looking for a set of rings for kids shows and I have the choice between 8" for $27 or 10" for $42, I am on a tight budget because my parents cant afford much so which should I go for?

8 inch rings are too small to put over your head in a routine, they must either hang at your elbows or be placed on a table. By being able to put them over your head, you can get a few bits of comedy for a kids show.

10 inch for $36: http://www.theambitiouscard.com/details.......DLINKING

Once again, these are some really good rings.
-Matt
Loopback
View Profile
Veteran user
Lincoln, Nebraska
359 Posts

Profile of Loopback
I put in a call to Owens magic last week about their Orb Eternals and for a 12 inch, 8 ring set they run $650.00.
KurtK
View Profile
Regular user
164 Posts

Profile of KurtK
Mmkay I saw the weld in the previous posted picture for the Uday rings and the welds are very miniscule. Well, the rings I mentioned were at my local magic shop, Eagle Magic in St. Paul. I was thinking of going tomorrow to see the quality sets that Mr. Kahlow had in the store.
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3519 Posts

Profile of SpellbinderEntertainment
Yes, Owen 12" are now $650, but worth every last red-cent of that, believe me!
This is a true case of "you get what you pay for".

I don't think they have 10" even available and may not any longer.
They may have 8" which are good for parlor/cabaret work.

If you're new to magic or not self-supporting of course that's a great deal of money,
but if you plan on a career in magic or consider it a serious art.. go for the gold!

A protégée of mine saved for five-years to get Owen Orb Eternal,
and got perhaps their last 10" set, he says he's happy every day
he touches the rings that he made that investment.

I do think they still carry the solid (very heavy) and the hollow (wonderful ring sound)
but I'd got for the hollow for weight and ring.

What a shame there is no "middle of the road" ring set for
maybe $150 to $200 these days for the younger performers!

Magically,
Walt
John Bowlin
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
827 Posts

Profile of John Bowlin
There are the redefine rings on hocus pocus...12" hollow stainless steel...$280. I'd say that's pretty middle of the road. They are tough, pretty rings but their tonal is somewhat lacking.

In looks and handling I really can't tell the difference between these and my Owens without a REAL closeup inspection. I bought them for practicing my 12" Owen routines and for switch-ins, they can really take a banging with no ill effects.
Walking Bob
View Profile
Elite user
499 Posts

Profile of Walking Bob
I would like to second the motion for the Redefine Rings. I have had mine for several months and they are great looking and a joy to perform with. Also thanks to John Bowlin for posting the great reviews on these rings which greatly influenced my decision to make the purchase.

An outstanding mid priced set of Linking Rings!!!

Walking Bob in Iowa
KurtK
View Profile
Regular user
164 Posts

Profile of KurtK
I ended up going to Twin Cities Magic and Costume and the man ehind the counter was very nice and demoed them to me before I bought them. I got the Empire 10 inch set and I have been working on learning the moves and a routine for 3 days now. I am committed to learning this effect before I purchase any others. Kind of a pact with myself. The welds are almost invisible but they vary from ring to ring. You have to search very closely to find them though and they are only visible on the inside.
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2338 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Quote:
On Mar 17, 2008, TheAmbitiousCard wrote:
These are the ones Capehart recommends

http://www.theambitiouscard.com/details.......DLINKING

I use these all the time. For Capehart's routine they're a must.

Quote:
On Mar 17, 2008, Matthew W wrote:
The rings Frank posted a link to are THE ones to buy. At $36, you will not find anything better.

They are just the right weight, have great welds and look fantastic.

For anyone searching through the Magic Café looking for "linking rings that don't break the bank" (as I have been recently) the rings that The Ambitious Card and Matthew W were referring years ago are the Uday 10" Linking Rings. Most dealers now showing these as out of stock, but these still show up on eBay and search around because some dealers may still have some on their shelves. Price for the Uday rings last time they were available at Penguin was $77.08 (inflation, ugh) It's interesting that The Ambitious Card mentions these rings are/were recommended by Chris Capehart for his 3-Ring Routine.

The Ambitious Card's link posted back in 2008 is long gone , but can be viewed on Archive.org -
https://web.archive.org/web/200612181848......DLINKING

----

Another relatively inexpensive set of rings that have some good reviews are available at Tom Ladshaw Magic.

Linking Rings 12" , 8 Ring set from Tom Ladshaw Magic .

Current price listed is $39.95. (as of Nov. 2023). They are 12" diameter , hollow , stainless steel rings. Being hollow they are light-weight and the description says "They "ring" beautifully.". NOTE: being hollow I'm not too sure these are as well-suited for the Capehart routine which has some vigorous handling that is probably better suited for solid steel rings. To be clear: I have not used these rings ,I'm simply posting this for informational purposes for anyone else searching for rings that won't break the bank account.

One question I had was about the width/thickness of the metal : 1/4" seems like it might be a bit thin when the diameter of the rings is 12". On the other hand , some will argue that with rings that are thicker than 1/4" certain moves are not as deceptive unless you are further away from the audience.

I emailed Tom Ladshaw to find out what the thickness is. (incidentally, if you haven't shopped with Tom, give him a try and subscribe to his YouTube Channel, too. He's a good guy.)

UPDATE: Tom Ladshaw emailed me back to say - "These rings are 1/4” thick tubing." Tom also mentions: "Full disclosure here… These are advertised and sold as stainless steel. I’m not convinced they are… I believe they may be polished aluminum. That said, they do ring clearly, and certainly look nice."

Recent reviews posted (from 2022 and 2023) -

Quote:

"Tom, the Linking Ring set is AWESOME. Lightweight, perfect size. The "lock" is a bonus! I'm definitely recommending these to all my magician buddies who perform linking rings!"
-- -- -- -- Steve R.

"Tom, I've owned half a dozen or more linking ring sets over the many, many years I've been performing magic. I have to say, this 3 ring set is a joy to work with! It's lightweight yet large size (making it much more visible) is perfect for my needs. I'm getting older and trying to cut down on the weight of my show. I used to carry four cases plus tables, sometimes a sound system, etc. Today I'm trying to get by with a catalog case! I never used a m_ _n_tic ring set before, and I don't really make use of that feature with this one, but it is nice to be able to make each ring appear solid for a very clean display (I only use it briefly at the very beginning at the very end of my routine). Thanks for making such a great set available." -- -- -- -- Martin S.

"Honestly, I didn't expect a whole lot for the price, but I was very pleasantly surprised when I got this set. It is every bit as nice as another 3 ring set I bought several years back and paid nearly FOUR times the amount for. The m_ _n_tic gaff is not something I'd ever used in the past, but it's nice at the conclusion of my routine when I can legitimately show each and every ring to be "solid". The drawstring bag was an nice addition. It's inexpensive, but does the job of protecting the rings when in my case. I'd recommend this set to anyone who needs a good WORKER set. And the price can't be beat!" -- -- -- -- S Levy

"I really like these! Nice set of rings - lightweight - nice sound - easy to handle. And at the price, they absolutely cannot be beat. This may be the best bargain out there on rings! The m_ _n_tic closing feature is nice, but I don't even use it. I'm so used to doing my old three ring routine! Thanks for making these available at such a great price." - - - - - - Rich

Jonathan Neal mentioned on another thread that Magic Master's 10" rings are among the rings he now uses (along with Rings and Things 10" rings). Note carefully that is Magic Masters, not Magic Makers. Two different companies that have similar sounding names. (and Magic Makers does make linking rings , too.) Magic Masters is out of business since 2012 , but some of their remaining stock continues to be sold by some dealers , including their Linking Rings sets (which I am told were made by Bumper/Suds). I don't see the 10" Magic Masters rings being advertised ,but a few dealers have the 8" Magic Masters rings.

https://madhattermagicshop.com/magicshop......id=67560