The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Pasteboard Frolics :: What type of cards for flourishes (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Mugician
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of Mugician
I watched Jeff McBrides DVD and saw the way that he prepares a deck of cards for manipulations. What cards do you guys use and also do you recommend prepping cards the way Jeff does? He also mentions Zinc Stearate for fanning powder. Does anyone use this for their cards, and if so, where did you purchase?
Houdinez
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of Houdinez
It IS basically Fanning powder, but a cheaper substitute is to find it in pharmacy stores. I use it, you can buy them from many magic shops. I only use them if I ever do a manipulation act, which I used to perform, but I don't anymore. Also an easier way to do it is to buy manipulation cards, the best that I know that are out there are Peter Marvey Manipulation Cards, Very good Manipulation cards which makes it INVISIBLE. Smile
~Houdinez~
(who-dee-nez)
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I would recommend the Dragon Fanning Cards for fan flourish.
Harv
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm building a fence with
1127 Posts

Profile of Harv
I tried fanning powder with my Bees and all it did was make them heavy and sticky…weird. I prepare the cards like McBride suggests (bending etc.), but I don't use the powder and have found that the cards fan much better. I have a deck of Bees that must be 3 years old and they still fan nicely for thumb and split fans.
graeme_p_
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of graeme_p_
I use bridge size bikes (I’ve got small hands) but never tried fanning powder.
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
New decks of cards work just fine for me.

Thanks.
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
trickster2000
View Profile
Loyal user
Toronto
287 Posts

Profile of trickster2000
The best fanning powder is corn starch...
phantomace
View Profile
Special user
651 Posts

Profile of phantomace
Fanning powder is ok but you don't need it.

The best flourish cards are #1: HALOs(high altitude low opening special forces decks) #2: Tally Hos, #3: Tactical Bikes (special forces decks).
kenllh
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Profile of kenllh
Well you see, after preparing the cards to make the cards softer and less rigid for manipulation like what you see in McBride Dvd, the cards tends to bloat up in size due to the curve here and there, therefore it doesn't fan as good as it use to be. by just throwing the deck into a big bag and adding a few shakes of the powder( about five shakes will do ) into the bag, it will increase the smoothness of the deck. if the deck is heavy and sticky, chances is that you use too much powder.
jaxonlee
View Profile
New user
Butte, MT
71 Posts

Profile of jaxonlee
I can't remember where I read about it, but someone once suggested using good ol' Talcum Powder if you wanted to ease the fanning of a deck. A pinch or so in a brown paper bag (lunch size) is all you need. Then dribble the deck in the bag, shake it like a maniac, pull out the deck and riffle it a few times to knock off the excess. Works well, but a new deck still feels far sweeter.