The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Pasteboard Frolics :: Buck Twins (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
bumbleface
View Profile
Elite user
434 Posts

Profile of bumbleface
How do you feel about the Buck Twins and their work? Smile
KC
View Profile
Special user
Utah
571 Posts

Profile of KC
I've met Dan and Dave Buck on several occasions, and I have their video and some lecture notes. The notes and video aren't bad. They're not as extreme as the Superhandz gang and Jerry Cestkowski's Encyclopedia of Card Flourishes. However, when I do the Leno Cut for other magicians and laymen, they seem to like it.

When I met them, they seemed rather shy and timid, but I guess that could be seen as arrogant. And at the time, there were some older magicians who weren't as fond of flashy displays of card handling ability.

One of the reasons that they've gained notoriety in the magic world is because they make appearances at various magic conventions. While other "artists" do not like to associate with too many magicians.

I have a downloadable video clip of myself performing 3 cuts by the Bucks on my yahoo group: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Cardist/fi......0Videos/

Download it and see a small sample of some of their stuff, if you haven't had a chance to see it before.

KC
Cardjinx
View Profile
Loyal user
278 Posts

Profile of Cardjinx
I like KC, but not the Buck brothers. The low quality of material and products is a bummer.

I'll stick with the superhandz buys for material!

Cardjinx Smile
Jason Purdy
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of Jason Purdy
I saw them at the MAGIC Live convention in Vegas. WOW! What they did was fantastic! Not really my cup of tea, but it was good. They received lots of gasps and applause. It was entertaining!
Cardjinx
View Profile
Loyal user
278 Posts

Profile of Cardjinx
I saw them at a different convention and wasn't so impressed. But give them a few years, and learning from people like Jerry and De'vo, they should turn out great!

Cardjinx Smile
Great Domino
View Profile
Special user
Canada
545 Posts

Profile of Great Domino
I've only ever heard of them. So you don't think they measure up to Jerry and Devo then eh? Well I guess that's too bad. One bad review in here goes a long way, thanx for the insight. I'll stay clear of their stuff in that case. Ciao!
Jamil
View Profile
Regular user
128 Posts

Profile of Jamil
I have to agree with everyone else. They will be better once they learn some really original material, instead of borrowing from others, then changing it to call their own. But they are young and show some potential.

I'm not sure that anyone really measures up to Jerry and De'vo! They are truly gifted.
But they are really the ones that are pionering the future of flourishes. There will always be those that will copy others and make minor variations to call them their own. Like all of the Blaine wanna-bees. There are Tudor wannabees, and soon will be Jerry and De'vo wannabees (if not already). I can't wait for the next truly original person to come and add to the movement that Jerry and De'vo started.

Unfortunately, the Bucks in my opinion are not them. They do have some interesting material, but not exactly what I am looking for.

J
Mark Martinez
View Profile
Inner circle
Wisconsin
1276 Posts

Profile of Mark Martinez
KC Great videos!
Magically,
Mark

Success comes before work only in the dictionary. - Anonymous
Saqib16
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of Saqib16
How old are they?
KC
View Profile
Special user
Utah
571 Posts

Profile of KC
I think that they are 17 or 18. One thing I do know though, is that they are the same age.

KC

Yeah, that was a dumb joke.
guccimagic
View Profile
New user
84 Posts

Profile of guccimagic
I think these kids are very talented. Does anybody know if these guys have a homepage?
Michael T
View Profile
Veteran user
321 Posts

Profile of Michael T
DavyBoy
View Profile
New user
Dorset UK
71 Posts

Profile of DavyBoy
The 'Molecule 2' production on the new 'Hit the Road' DVD is awesome.
Anyone after seeing these guys perform should check the DVD out. It also includes a few other card moves and many tricks.

DavyBoy Smile
guccimagic
View Profile
New user
84 Posts

Profile of guccimagic
I have been working on the "Molecule 2 Production' since I saw the dvd and I have a whole new respect for the Twins.
The T.G. Murphy deck flip has me stumped.
Jamil
View Profile
Regular user
128 Posts

Profile of Jamil
TGs material is great. He is also right now a guest on handlordz forum. I believe that this is the first time he has ever posted on any board!! Go there and check it out.

Turns out molecule 2 production is actually TG Murphys! The Bucks took it from him without permission. TG said that he actually uses a far superior method now. Seems those guys just can't come up with anything on their own. Check the handlordz forum to see what TG himself says about it.

J
flourish dude
View Profile
Inner circle
from ? But I know where I am going!
1195 Posts

Profile of flourish dude
You can learn from anyone.

Folks I know there are bad feelings in the flourish world, but I guess it is like all extreme "sports". At least there are people out there keeping flourishes fresh and new.

Flourishes are like dance moves. I don't think you can go wrong with creativity. I personally don't like the big egos and attitude of some, but I personally know Jerry and he DOES NOT HAVE ONE! He will help anyone out. I wish this was the same for everyone.

If you are into flourishes then you can't go wrong by getting as much info as you can on it. Check out other ideas from other people. I will say, Jerry's book is the most complete source and you should not be without.

Sure, get the Buck Brothers stuff, it might spark a new idea for your own new moves.
Nothing of the same will bring any change, take action today!
Just taking a step, is a step in the right direction because when you stop working, your dream dies.
www.magicalmemories.us
Jamil
View Profile
Regular user
128 Posts

Profile of Jamil
The Buck brothers stuff isn't original. They take from everyone else and call it their own. If you are going to take, then you should at least get permission which they did NOT do. TGs post proves this on handlordz.

And you're right, Jerry and De'vo do not have big egos and will go out of their way to help people out. They have helped me out a ton.

J
Schaden
View Profile
Inner circle
Purgatory
1253 Posts

Profile of Schaden
Jerry and De will answer your posts or emails. They are great guys and are the true masters of the art. (not forgeting M or Y) The Buck Twins borrow a lot of stuff and call it their own. You must remember that The Twins are trying to make flourishes that go with magic and De' is trying to make them into art.

Lee
flourish dude
View Profile
Inner circle
from ? But I know where I am going!
1195 Posts

Profile of flourish dude
Good point, Lee and Jamil.
Nothing of the same will bring any change, take action today!
Just taking a step, is a step in the right direction because when you stop working, your dream dies.
www.magicalmemories.us
Christian Z.
View Profile
Regular user
Seattle, WA
126 Posts

Profile of Christian Z.
I like the Buck Twins. I give them credit for their skill. Even though they take moves, they do them well and are fast at doing the moves. Just my 2 cents.
Christian Z.

Like what Jamil said in an earlier post, there are wannabes out there. I think I've became a wannabe of the Buck Twins! Hahaha. I really like them and try to do a lot of their stuff since I'm at a young age. They were the first tape I bought on sybil and it was easier for me to learn. I have a lot of respect for them and hope to meet them someday. Just my opinion.
Christian