The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Pasteboard Frolics :: T.G. Deck Flip Help! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Vinnie Laraway
View Profile
Inner circle
1272 Posts

Profile of Vinnie Laraway
Hey guys... I have always had a problem with the T.G. Deck Flip...

Whenever I try it (with half, or the hole deck), the bottom card always gets flung out while the rotation happens, and that throws everything else off too.

Does anyone know why this is happening, and how to fix it?

Thanks guys!
-Vinnie
T. G. Murphy
View Profile
New user
38 Posts

Profile of T. G. Murphy
Hi Vinnie,

I am really sorry to hear this!

Having helped many people with this let me take an educated guess as to your problem area.

Often, the problem is in the release of the packet or deck.

The release must be clean, smooth and sharp.

In other words, do not have the finger(s) slowly release the packet or deck.

If you are using a two or three finger release try using only one.

Eventually, most beginners end up using only two or one finger release anyway.

Also, I do not recommend a new or slick deck for beginners as this only magnifies some of the beginner’s problems.

Instead, try using a worn or used deck that does not have any bent cards.

Make sure the deck is cohesive and together when it is squared.

Try doing the Deck Flip with the entire deck first before attempting any of the other variations which require a slightly different feel to it.

When personally teaching the Deck Flip to others, I have discovered that it only takes several minutes to master it. So let me add that if you are still having difficulties either send me a video of your Deck Flip or place the deck into the card case and try the Deck Flip again with the card case and I think you will resolve your own dilemma.

I hope you get my Deck Flip down pat as I am writing another book that has many new sleights/flourishes using the Deck Flip as a prerequisite.

Good luck!

Imagicatively yours,

T. G. Murphy
Vinnie Laraway
View Profile
Inner circle
1272 Posts

Profile of Vinnie Laraway
Wow! T.G. himself - in the flesh.

Thanks for the help, but still no luck. =[

I'll PM you. I'd appreciate it if you could help me further if I showed you a video.

All the best,
-Vinnie
fingerjack
View Profile
Special user
CT, USA
576 Posts

Profile of fingerjack
Wow, how cool to hear from the man himself. Although I didn't have any real problem with the move (which I love), his post just help me improve it. Thanks!
MAGNAPALM - The World's first psionic magnetic implants that is changing the future of magic http://youtu.be/EDmg2bp_Cas

WASHED AND DRYED - An squeaky clean incredible full deck transformation!
http://fingerjack.wix.com/washedanddryed
Lastormdsm
View Profile
New user
80 Posts

Profile of Lastormdsm
Awesome post! I was having some minor issues with the move and this cleared them up. Thanks for taking time out to explain the release a little bit better!
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3362 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
Great to have the man answering . . .

Vinnie, pls share your findings and learnings with us later on, if you please . . .
Cards never lie