The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Pasteboard Frolics :: One handed waterfall/cascade shuffle (not riffle) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
LauraCalder
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of LauraCalder
Hello,

I recently saw a shuffle where the handler split the deck into halves with one hand and then instead of riffling the two packets with one hand, he just weaved them a little and let them fall, like a waterfall, one by one into his free hand. The whole thing was quite beautiful.

I am pretty competent at a one hand shuffle yet can't seem to pull this off, it may just be a question of practice but are there any videos or books which teach the subtleties of this particularly wonderful flourish?

Laura
fingerjack
View Profile
Special user
CT, USA
576 Posts

Profile of fingerjack
I've seen Ricky Jay and others use this move, but I can't say I have seen it in print. but I'm sure it's out there somewhere. Good Luck.
MAGNAPALM - The World's first psionic magnetic implants that is changing the future of magic http://youtu.be/EDmg2bp_Cas

WASHED AND DRYED - An squeaky clean incredible full deck transformation!
http://fingerjack.wix.com/washedanddryed
LauraCalder
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of LauraCalder
Ah! That's super!

It was the bit where he locks the two packets with his free hand and then shifts the thumb that holds the packets which I wasn't doing. Still need more practice on it, but thank you for pointer fingerjack.

L.
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Yes, Ricky does the move. I do it quite often, not after a one-handed shuffle but after a faro shuffle. I had a hard time getting it down until I PMd someone here on the Café. I can give two tips:

1) keep very little pressure on the cards. You are, as was said in the original post, just letting the cards fall.

2) do it without powder.

Jeff
delta
View Profile
Regular user
102 Posts

Profile of delta
Notice cascade
check Vernon sorry I don't remember in wich book. James Swain do it perfectly in the presentation of the tapes miracles with cards
LauraCalder
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of LauraCalder
It's called the notice cascade? I'll remember that...

Just seen the clip on youtube of Ricky Jay using it as a reveal on The X-Files and it's just too cute, shame Mulder and Scully are so deadpan to it. I'm never performing in front of the FBI if I can help it.

Laura.
Joey Stalin
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1072 Posts

Profile of Joey Stalin
First time I saw that was by Ricky Jay on an episode of X-Files.
-A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.
-It is easier to fight for one's principles than to live up to them.
-The secret impresses no one. The trick you use it for is everything.

See you space cowboy...
Steven Steele
View Profile
Chief of Staff
1868 Posts

Profile of Steven Steele
I learned it from a stapled book called "Watch Closely" written by Jim Klayder. It was published in 1978 and I know of no other publications describing it since then. Possibly a video has it. It's called a "Faro Fall" and the name pretty much describes how it is done. However, to give you little bit more, it's an out faro. It takes a knack, but not too difficult. In fact, Ricky Jay performs it with the selection being the last card remaining. Once you can perform the fall, the mechanics of having the selection left isn't too hard to work out. Hope this helps you out.
Coram Deo
keeblem
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1167 Posts

Profile of keeblem
Quote:
On 2007-07-04 06:37, delta wrote:
Notice cascade
check Vernon sorry I don't remember in wich book. James Swain do it perfectly in the presentation of the tapes miracles with cards

"Notis Cascade" - Dai Vernon's More Inner Secrets of Card Magic by Lewis Ganson

Mark