The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Pasteboard Frolics :: Weaving the cards..... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
aby9plp
View Profile
Loyal user
Montreal, Canada
255 Posts

Profile of aby9plp
I have been playing with the same 5 decks for the past 2 months and just yesterday I bought a pack of 12 NEW decks! There was A HUGE difference! My fans were more even and a lot more smooth, but when I try to do a one handed shuffle, a giant fan or an out-faro, it just doesn't mix well! Is it because I'm not used to new decks or because old cards are better for weaving?
Thx
-aka-
Phoenix
Burt Yaroch
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas,TX
1097 Posts

Profile of Burt Yaroch
I would imagine your assumption is correct, you're just not used to the new decks. I think most people would argue that a new deck faros almost effortlessly compared to older decks. But the decks you use are a matter of personal preference and performing style.

Personally, I would recommend getting used to those slippery new decks. Smile
Yakworld.
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5938 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Actually, "brand new" decks can be rough on the edges making Faro weaves difficult to start. Through use, the edges get a little wear and smooth out, making the Faro weaving itself more smooth.

The rougher new decks require a light touch to Faro; and, whereas a broken in deck can be forgiving as to recovering a Faro that starts to go bad, new decks are not. If the Faro starts to go wrong with a new deck I have found it just gets worse due to the rough edges.
Burt Yaroch
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas,TX
1097 Posts

Profile of Burt Yaroch
I guess it also depends on what kind of cards you are using Aby9. I can't faro most Fournier decks very good, new or broken in. I just get hung up on that plasticy feel.

Bikes, even seconds, are great right out of the box, as are Tally-Ho.

And, of course, the more practiced you are the easier your faros will be with all types of decks.
Yakworld.
Paul Menzel
View Profile
Special user
Boise, Idaho
530 Posts

Profile of Paul Menzel
If I open a new deck and find that the edges are too rough to faro smoothly, I bevel the deck and run a nail file along the edges (each end, each direction). This resolves the problem for me.

Paul M.
zombieboy
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut, USA
889 Posts

Profile of zombieboy
I think a deck has to be properly faro-trained. See Steel and Silver by Paul Gertner, he talks all about this.
Jordini
View Profile
Inner circle
2765 Posts

Profile of Jordini
I disagree. I opened a new deck of cards for the first time in a month yesterday, and I could faro it no problem. (Sizzling the cards afterward didn't go over so well.) You just have to practice with all decks and eventually you'll get it right.
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
I have found that there is a sweet spot when it comes to cards. Not too new, not too old. I think the best way to get there is to just break them in the old fashioned way. Just play with them. Fan, cut, faro...

I had to work a party the other night, and I cracked open a new deck and spent the afternoon breaking them in. They were perfect for me by the time I hit the gig.

Good luck!
Homo vult decipi; decipiatur

http://www.myspace.com/liar_4_hire
Jordini
View Profile
Inner circle
2765 Posts

Profile of Jordini
Wow, that was pretty gutsy! I wouldn't do a gig with a new deck, even if I spent the day breaking it in. I find that they're just a little too slippery for certain moves, like BRS and others. Not to mention they're terrible for one handed shuffles. LOL. I guess if you can work a fairly new deck like that for a paying audience, go for it!! New decks look so professional.