The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Tricks & Accessories :: Sudden Deck by David Regal :: TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
Northern California - United States
3784 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
David Regal is a man of many talents. Whether writing scripts for television shows (i.e, Everyone Loves Raymond) to authoring several magic books (Constant Fooling, etc) to creating original mind blowing magical effects, Mr. Regal is one busy fellow.
Indeed, it would seem that every time I turn around there is something appearing that is associated with David in one way or the other. David was kind enough to send me one of his latest efforts ( Sudden Deck) and I've had a few days to play with this interesting gimmick. What follows is some of my observations. Smile

Sudden Deck by David Regal
---------------oOo-----------------

Effect/Description: The magician removes a unfolded, empty card case from his pocket and displays it to the audience. "I do this to save space. Did you know that a cardbox is just a piece of cardboard that's been folded up?" He shows the opened box on all sides, then folds the cardboard back into the shape of a card box. He snaps his fingers, opens the flap and pulls out a full deck of regulation playing cards with which to perform his next miracle! Comes complete with the ingenious custom-crafted, precision-made gimmicked card case that makes this amazing routine possible and detailed, photo-illustrated instructions. Available in Red or Blue Bicycle design.
-----------------------------------

I like this trick, perhaps for no other reason then I think the gimmick is clever (even amusing once you really look at it Smile ) and I'm a lover of the pasteboards. I remember purchasing Paul Harris' Screwed Deck years ago, and still use this effect from time to time. A very cool item, and very original.

Like the Harris effect, Regal's latest wonder is a real piece of work that when presented well will simply blow some minds. Smile

What you get for your magical dollar is a very cleverly constructed gimmick and a small sheet of photo-illustrated instructions that teach you the work, all sealed inside a nice injection molded box. Very professional.

Concerning the trick itself, you must realize that while the effect is not too difficult to learn, you will need to work with this a bit to get the feel for it.
Angles may be a problem, but this is also true when using Harris' Screwed deck. Still, I enjoy using both of these. I do think that this should be used as designed, meaning a small trick the spectator see's on the way to a bigger more elaborate miracle. I would never think of presenting this as a single effect unto itself.

As a side note, my own personal experience has been that magicians seem to respond to this much better then lay folks. Not sure why. Perhaps the concept of an unfolded card box appears strange to all but a magician?
Having said that, I do like this and have no reservation in recommending this to those of you who do a lot of card work and are looking for something off the beaten path. Very cool indeed. Smile

My rating:

Available from your favorite dealer. Dealers should contact Murphy's Magic Supplies, Inc., Click here to visit Murphy's website!
Dealers call toll free: 1-800-853-7403

Suggested retail: $25.00

You can contact David Regal directly at: regalmagic@earthlink.net

To order direct, visit David's website at:
Click here!
"Always be you because nobody else can" - Steve Brooks