The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Grand illusion :: Abbott Spectacular Finale (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
0wen
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of 0wen
Hello,

I'm slated to do a series of shows in some old historic theaters and would like something flamboyant/gaudy/whatever for ambiance and such, so thought of Abbott's spectacular finale. Unfortunately, I've been unable to track down a source for it. Assuming I'm failing at the internet, but all I've come across are a set of downloadable instructions over at abbott magic.

Anyone have a lead?

Thanks.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7672 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Look in Percy Abbott's book.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3662 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
I believe a figure from Abbotts for it was now at $10,000 USD, although I only have a catalogue listing it at $4,000. Not sure about the book Richard mentions as I do not believe I have it, although I do have the illusion bundle of material that Abbotts sold. Not sure if instrustions are of any value. The only ones I received with mine was a drawing showing how the units were to be mounted.

Blair
FrankFindley
View Profile
Inner circle
1056 Posts

Profile of FrankFindley
Jack Blood's version for smaller stages is in my collection. It is an example of the genre and might provide some inspiration.

Instead of hanging units, these are free standing, thin pedestaled boxes on each side of the stage. Once triggered they fall open to a huge crash expanding both outward and upward. Quite a sight, especially with bits of ribbon/confetti included. My understanding is that a string of produced flags would be hung between them prior to triggering. Jack would then move to center stage producing flagstaffs or large silk as his off-stage assistant would trigger them to open.

This was an imitation Chinese performer act (think Chung Ling Soo).

Here they are partially deployed (they aren't at full height):

Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3662 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
Nice!! Thanks for sharing Frank.

Blair
FrankFindley
View Profile
Inner circle
1056 Posts

Profile of FrankFindley
Sure thing! I love these blasts from the past.

For those who aren't sure what we are discussing, the below may help.

Neil Foster showing how it is done at convention:

Original Ad:

Seebach Tips: http://www.magicgettogether.com/seebach/0709.html
FrankFindley
View Profile
Inner circle
1056 Posts

Profile of FrankFindley
David Seebach had posted this photo a while back on Facebook. It shows the vibrant colors of Abbott's Spectacular Finale.

Owen, it may be worthwhile to reach out to David regarding your project.
FrankFindley
View Profile
Inner circle
1056 Posts

Profile of FrankFindley
Michael Stroud recently posted a video showing the side units in use. Just posting here for any who would like to see one in action.