The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Grand illusion :: Question of Houdini's history (metamorphosis) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
JohnClark
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of JohnClark
Someone asked me the other day WHO revealed Houdini's signiture trick (metamorphosis) and WHY is was revealed?

Just to clarify, this was a laymen asking the question; and he clearly wasn't looking for 'methods', but was clearly interested in magical history. I had been talking about it and he asked this question, and I promised to find out the answer. Can someone explain please?
Loual4
View Profile
Special user
Montreal, Canada
670 Posts

Profile of Loual4
The substitution trunk was actually invented by Maskelyne (unless I am mistaken...). Several magicians of that time may therefore have been quite familiar with the secret. Are you refering to a recent exposure, or an older one? As for motivations... Money and / or jealousy are usually prefered culprits...
JohnClark
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of JohnClark
I believe he was asking who FIRST exposed the secret. If it was indeed Maskelyne's, then doesn't that make Houdini one of the people who 'stole' the trick?
Loual4
View Profile
Special user
Montreal, Canada
670 Posts

Profile of Loual4
It depends if Houdini had the right to use it from Maskelyne, which I believe he had... As for the first to expose it... I am still looking it up! I know the masked Mor*n exposed a version of it, but that comparatively recent!