The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Grand illusion :: Re-tape an Origami (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Christopher Starr
View Profile
Inner circle
Heart of America
1850 Posts

Profile of Christopher Starr
Can anyone give me any tips on how to best re-tape my Origami? Which brand of gaffers tape to use, where to start, anything to do...or not do? I'm not very handy when it comes to stuff like this. Smile

Also, any recommendations on what to use to get the old, dried tape crust off of the paint, without taking off the paint?!

Thanks,

Chris
illusions & reality
View Profile
Special user
Saskatoon, SK, CANADA
859 Posts

Profile of illusions & reality
Hi Chris,

This really is an easy fix. I actually have only had to replace my gaffer's tape twice on my Origami in more than 15 years.

First, to remove the old tape, use something like Orange Goo Gone or some other orange oil product. WD-40 will also work. After removing the old tape, clean the WD-40 or Orange Oil product off completely with Isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol.

I use the cloth-like (non-shiny) black gaffer's tape. Make sure when you apply the gaffer's tape that you leave enough space (not too much space) between each piece so that the pieces fold without pulling too hard on the tape. Do this slowly to make sure the tape is straight. You may want to make the pieces a little longer than necessary and trim with sharp scissors or a razor blade.

Hope this helps.

Lou
akolodner
View Profile
Regular user
121 Posts

Profile of akolodner
Use Permacel Pro 2" tape. It lasts forever.
Arnie
Arnie Kolodner
Chezaday
View Profile
Inner circle
Naperville, IL
1673 Posts

Profile of Chezaday
Hey Chris, if you're not handy with this type of thing .. you might want to leave it to the pros. You can really mess up the prop if it's not done right. What ever you do .. don't use a razor blade to remove the tape. The finish on the Wellington version is anodized aluminum .. and it will scratch.

Be careful ...

Steve
gulamerian
View Profile
Special user
581 Posts

Profile of gulamerian
I agree use Permacel Pro 2" tape.
Kevin Ridgeway
View Profile
V.I.P.
Indianapolis, IN & Phoenix, AZ
1832 Posts

Profile of Kevin Ridgeway
My suggestion would be to have the box on the origami in the unfolded position...strip off ONE piece of tape, clean it and replace THAT piece. You can't get very far off if you do it one piece at a time.

Hope that helps.
Kevin
Living Illusions
Ridgeway & Johnson Entertainment Inc

Kevin Ridgeway &
Kristen Johnson aka Lady Houdini
The World's Premier Female Escape Artist

www.LadyHoudini.com

www.livingillusions.com