The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Grand illusion :: Importance of the Staircase prop :: TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
MopKrayz
View Profile
Elite user
423 Posts

Profile of MopKrayz
I am collecting information about the Importance of the Staircase prop in Modern Illusions.

Who was the first illusionist in history to use the staircase to aid in production or vanish?

Is Copperfield's Great Wall of China illusion the most subtle grand-scale use of the staircase?

Any help or comments would be greatly appreciated.

MopKrayz@baldakkin.com
Chad Sanborn
View Profile
Inner circle
my fingers hurt from typing,
2205 Posts

Profile of Chad Sanborn
First, this post should probably be moved to the secret section.
Now, the principle has been around for a long time. When and who first used it, I don't know. But I would go out on a limb and say that they didn't get used until magic was performed on a regular basis, on a stage. Maybe the 1800's. I personally don't like this principle the way it is most often used today. As a 'get away' to reapear elsewhere. To me, pushing them offstage is just not natural. I am currently developing an alternative to them. Hopefully, the designing and testing will be done within the next year. It is not a method of concealment like the steps but a new way to leave the stage without being seen. And more importantly, without awkwardly pushing anything offstage!

Chad